More snow content > longest commute today?

2»

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    The bike after tonight's commute:

4252352350_f9dc4042df_m.jpg
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    I had to give up. Like a big jessie..

commute_scaled.jpg

That's (supposed to be) a road.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    flybywire wrote:
    Good on you andy, It will be even more slippy tmrw though .. take it easy :wink:

sorry to hear about your GT mate, just out of interest what tyres were they fitted - Schwalbe slicks? (which type - I need some slicks for my trek old mtb for when the weather's a bit improved)

I've chickened riding tmrw even with wide blocky tyres fitted and run at low pressures. It will be 14miles each way all road because the snow is over a foot deep in the forestry part and towpath. The road will be a skating rink with vehicles compacted snow & -6 tonight :? . A work colleague may pick up in a little suzuki sj410 4x4.

Was even more fun on way in this morning, have chance of getting lift tonight but think ill actually ride bike again. people are stupid on the roads so stuck to pavements, but stomach feels like had great workout

had planned to have gt for snow, just going to fit different tyres on til they nicked it :(

yea they where schwalbe city jets, awesome tyre, got decent speed and VERY good at not getting visit from the fairy, in fact none on that bike, i miss that bike as i built it all myself :(

im on old diamond back rigid whihch someone gave me from work but oh what fun :D
  • Cycling to work is the way to go when it snows, but I'd never use the road bike, got to be the nobbly tyred mountain bike. Hasn't stopped me yet although the rear gears were frozen first thing today. Passed another cyclist today as well. So I'm not the only one on the A5 near luton!!
    Trek Emonda and Kiron Scandium on the road and Cube ltd Team for the rest .Also a retired Holdsworth Professional. Love Cycling!!
  • flybywire
    flybywire Posts: 575
    last year I had a specialized tricross single speed which was great in the snow/ice in February although into the Spring I got bored of that bike sold it and bought a roadbike(wasn't fast enough on road and too much compromise).

Now have a recently built up an on-one 456 and use this for the off-road or poor weather commute. When riding in current conditions do those mtb'rs run tyre pressures down to 30psi or lower(how low can you go) for loose snow/ice? & what tyres do you recommend other than spiked tyres. I have both conti mtn kings & specialized chunder xc/fast track tyres.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    iain_j wrote:
    I was considering buying some studded tyres this morning, but although I might be able to ride on the hard snow and ice, I wouldn't trust the motorists to drive sensibly enough to not run into me :evil:

Some idiots this morning. Taxis still doing 20-30mph on ice, HGV's faster than I'd be comfortable with.

Picked up my studded tyres last night - rode with them today, but kept well clear of the roads....actually used the pavements (hardly and peds and those that I encountered wished my luck) and then off road sections. Too many silly drivers about going too fast.
  • Got to admit I'm no expert but this bike has schalbe nobby nic and racing ralf fitted and the pressures are down to around 20psi. Grips suprisly well even on the compacted snow on the side roads but I am going carefull and following the rutts keeping as straight as I can and using low gears on dodgey bits!! I'm not taking any risks. Good to luck to ALL cyclists getting home tonight!!!!
    Trek Emonda and Kiron Scandium on the road and Cube ltd Team for the rest .Also a retired Holdsworth Professional. Love Cycling!!
  • flybywire
    I usually run tyres at higher pressures but rolling resistance isn't an issue currently so no harm in trying them at just over 20psi where the tyre will deform and shape better I suppose. Thanks for the advise, if it works in mud then it should be ok for snow.

I recall in late Feb last year going in to work on the roadbike (should have waited a couple of weeks to use the roadbike) where there had been prolonged rain for a couple of days beforehand and fields slightly flooded onto the rural road which was ice/frost in the morning. I crested a small bridge and then dipped left in the sweeping bend and then waaaayyy slid on my side still clipped in for about 30yards along the middle of the road. Got up and embarrasingly checked bike/myself and went on my way very cautiously :oops: . Fortunately a quiet road/route and other roadusers infrequent/going slowly.

Riding an mtb in the snow is about being relaxed and not making sudden steering moves/leaning or braking abruptly. Accelerating can be fun in higher gears anticipating which direction your going to go!! (not lower gears due to unnecessary wheelspin)

The snow around here is still quite deep although there has been a slight thaw.. I'll probably wait until Monday and go off-road to work then - subject to no further snow as expected on Sunday..

Respect to those riding in these conditions - take care.. :wink:
  • markp2
    markp2 Posts: 162
    Minus 11 in East Devon this morning so I behaved like a wuss and seconded a van from work. The gritted roads were still very slippery a salt water freezes at about minus 8 I think.
    Genesis Croix de Fer - my new commuting mount
    Saracen Hytrail - the workhorse - now pensioned off
    Kinetic-One FK1 roadie - the fast one - hairy legs though!
    Cannondale Jekyll Lefty MTB - the muddy one which keeps tipping me into gorse bushes!
  • 40 miles today, tempted to say never again.

It took me 2 hrs 15 this morning to do the 20 into work, had to stay on main roads & off the lethally slippy side roads.

Just got home, feel like death, maybe change my mind about things after a shower & some dinner!
  • 40 miles today, tempted to say never again.

It took me 2 hrs 15 this morning to do the 20 into work, had to stay on main roads & off the lethally slippy side roads.

Just got home, feel like death, maybe change my mind about things after a shower & some dinne!r
  • Mountainboy2465
    Mountainboy2465 Posts: 121
    edited January 2010
    Promise I only did the ride once, lordy knows what happened here... is it possible to delete posts?
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Got the bus home tonight and for the first time since Monday I thought, hmm, the roads are perfectly cycle-able! Pavements still treacherous but between the wheel tracks was clear of all ice and slush. Came over all warm and cosy as I thought, back on the bike tomorrow.

Then, suddenly, onto Smithdown Rd (long, shallow downhill) - wall to wall ice. Bus pulled in at one of the stops and then slid right past it. Passengers upstairs got in a panic and ran down. Traffic barely moving. Got off and "walked" (if you can call it that) the last 2 miles home and left the bus trailing behind.

Please, no buses tomorrow. Please! Thy're horrible. I wanna walk to work again!
  • usual 8 miles each way slightly more tarmac visible today on the main routes, the less travelled paths were quite hairy as the soft stuff is covering rock solid and very ridged ice. Astonsihed I didn't hit the deck. (and a bit smug too, cat like reactions I forgot I had)

It was -13 when I rolled into work according to the gatehouse thermometer

-13 :shock: and I felt all of it in my fingers for the last mile, I couldn't get my helmet off for 20 minutes and had to ask someone else to switch my lights off as I'd totally lost circulation and the pain was incredible as I tried to rouch anything as they were thawing.

I'm sacking the sealskinz and getting some motorbike or ski gloves as my outer pair tomorrow
  • flybywire
    I know it's a horrible feeling when you start thawing out .. to be warmer on the ride I'd recommend.

Keep the sealskins and get some other waterproof oversized gloves to go over the top (not too big so as you can't use gears/brakes). I have some excellent lake gloves which are about 6years old and outlived the fleece inner gloves, now go over my sealskins and are good to -15c :)

A polaris or similar make fleeced balaclava is another suggestion at below -3c.(make sure your helmet fits over the top & any glasses fit ok !)

mountainboy, quite a ride a today - bet your glad it's Friday tmrw! :)
  • iain_j
    -13 :shock: and I felt all of it in my fingers for the last mile, I couldn't get my helmet off for 20 minutes and had to ask someone else to switch my lights off as I'd totally lost circulation and the pain was incredible as I tried to rouch anything as they were thawing.

Oh yes, these moments are the best :D

Got home one evening last winter in a similar state and could barely fumble the doorbell, praying someone was in to open the door for me, cos I sure as hell couldn't hold my keys.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Promise I only did the ride once, lordy knows what happened here... is it possible to delete posts?

It is if another post isn't added below

(I think)

now to delete or look a twassock

Edit: Yes you can

it is the cross to the right of the "EDIT" button when looking at your post ( I think it only works if it is the last one in a thread)
  • mattrsa
    mattrsa Posts: 143
    iain_j wrote:

Please, no buses tomorrow. Please! Thy're horrible. I wanna walk to work again!

Just been reading this thread as I am going to start to commute as of next week

Buses in liverpool are defo a no go for me tho no matter the weather I would rather cycle.

I remember 4 years I was sat on the top deck on the bus and a guy got on swining a machete, i got off at the next stop needless to say
    Commuter - Trek 1.2
    Fun - Specialized Rockhopper
  • iain_j
    mattrsa wrote:
    Just been reading this thread as I am going to start to commute as of next week

By bike? You'll be lucky. More snow forecast Sunday/Monday.
    Buses in liverpool are defo a no go for me tho no matter the weather I would rather cycle.

I remember 4 years I was sat on the top deck on the bus and a guy got on swining a machete, i got off at the next stop needless to say

Nice :shock: haven't met anyone like that but there was the kid (looked about 10), red in the face, ripping the seats up....
  • mattrsa
    mattrsa Posts: 143
    yeah meant to be by bike but might have to delay it by a week if this weather keeps up

Seriously tho, hate getting on the bus in any city, would much rather ride my bike altho went out today and it required alot of concentration and was very slow going
    Commuter - Trek 1.2
    Fun - Specialized Rockhopper
  • flybywire wrote:
    I know it's a horrible feeling when you start thawing out .. to be warmer on the ride I'd recommend.

Keep the sealskins and get some other waterproof oversized gloves to go over the top (not too big so as you can't use gears/brakes). I have some excellent lake gloves which are about 6years old and outlived the fleece inner gloves, now go over my sealskins and are good to -15c :)

A polaris or similar make fleeced balaclava is another suggestion at below -3c.(make sure your helmet fits over the top & any glasses fit ok !)

mountainboy, quite a ride a today - bet your glad it's Friday tmrw! :)

cheers for the glove suggestion but I've had a couple of pairs of sealskinz and they've never been great when it gets really cold (cracking the rest of the time tho) but never as bad as the last few days. I'm trying some of my non bike thinsulate ones next ride to see how they fare in combination with various liners and layers.

as for the balaclava, thats my best ever biking buy, a gore windstopper out of a bargain bin for £3 - absolutely brilliant, warm thin, light breathable, totally windproof and my ears love me for it :wink: I'd highly recommend one as long as you don't mind looking like an apprentice ripper.