Cheers.
FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
"It stays down, Daddy."
"Exactly."

Comments

• amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    it was definitely gritted last night and the roads are fine here in Wandsworth.

I will be planning an attempt at about 8ish :)
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Cheers, fella. It's started snowing again here in Kingston, but it's only light. Roads look ok. Park will be great fun - may, um, take the long route :D
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    Tooting to Canary Wharf. Just a light dusting. Side roads may get treachorous later but main roads are fine. Bloody cold though!
  • tis fine matey - all roads done.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Kurako wrote:
    Tooting to Canary Wharf. Just a light dusting. Side roads may get treachorous later but main roads are fine. Bloody cold though!

about 4 degrees warmer than yesterday though
    <a>road</a>
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    As I struggled down a pristine Embankment on my ancient MTB, I was thinking how much nicer it would have been with narrower tyres. And then I got to thinking how much more comfortable I'd be with drop handlebars. And maybe a lighter frame.

Then I realised I had invented the CX bike. Blast all you people with CX bikes!

If it's like this tomorrow I may carry my road bike the first mile, just to avoid having to ride the MTB again!
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • cjcp
    Then I realised I had invented the CX bike. Blast all you people with CX bikes!

:mrgreen:

Got on my Kona Jake and all was good.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • amnezia
    Just cycled back, sent home early due to worsening weather conditions.

Roads in central London are still okay, Embankment from Victoria to Chelsea is still fine but visibility is poor.

There were some tricky bits, particular the slip road at blackfriars.

Snow is falling pretty heavily in the South West London and settling, Even the major roads are starting to become tricky. Side roads are pretty treacherous
  • Cheers Amnezia - I suspect we may be going home soon. ta for update
  • birdy247
    birdy247 Posts: 454
    Looks like the roads are clearing up abit around the city. Anyone planning on cycling it?
  • I'll be leaving in next 30 mins...
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Seems to have stopped in Fitzrovia anyway, and last time I looked out there wasn't much settling.

Nevertheless, I'm going to the pub for a couple of hours to let everyone else get out of the way.
  • Take it easy out there guys, the roads aren't as good as they were this morning in West London.
  • cjcp
    amnezia wrote:
    Just cycled back, sent home early due to worsening weather conditions.

Roads in central London are still okay, Embankment from Victoria to Chelsea is still fine but visibility is poor.

There were some tricky bits, particular the slip road at blackfriars.

Snow is falling pretty heavily in the South West London and settling, Even the major roads are starting to become tricky. Side roads are pretty treacherous

+1.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    Anyone braved it this morning?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • I'm probably going to wuss out of riding today. The roads home were fine last night until I got to Dulwich when it turned into one big ice rink. I actualy fell off - wheels just went out from under me and I slid down the road - I was going very slow buy seemed to slide forever - no damage done, thankfully. After a freezing cold night, it can only have got worse.
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • amnezia
    seen a few roadies go past and although its bloody freezing the roads don't looks so bad. guess thats my cue to MTFU
  • cjcp
    Hmmm, myboss just called me. He's waiting for a bus on my route and he said the cycle lanes were icy, so he cyclists weren't riding in them. Might gie it a miss today and WFH, and go for a ride in the Park instead.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:
    Anyone braved it this morning?

yeah came in from South Ealing with no problems. You do need to stay out of the shoulders and cycle lanes where the sluch has frozen solid, but the main carriageways are fine.
    <a>road</a>
  • Even if I weren't going out for beers I'd have not really wanted to ride on this - not because it would be bad for me , but because of others - peds and cars forcing me to onto the ice where I then slide/crash by being stupid.
  • I also ride in from Kingston - took the train yesterday and today. Lots of ice and frozen sludge down the sides of Richmond Road this morning, despite the regular gritting and it being such a busy road. This is a mini ice age.
  • birdy247
    birdy247 Posts: 454
    Rode in from Clapham to the city. For the most part is was OK. Like has been said, cycle lanes and some bus lanes frozen over so had to ride on the carriage ways. Had to walk my bike to the main roads before i could get under way as it is like an ice rink on our side roads. Not the most pleasant journey in! Will asses for journey home.
  • cjcp
    but because of others - peds and cars forcing me to onto the ice where I then slide/crash by being stupid.

+1. That's my concern, too.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:
    but because of others - peds and cars forcing me to onto the ice where I then slide/crash by being stupid.

there is significantly less traffic around than usual so ti doesn't feel too bad
    <a>road</a>
  • cjcp wrote:

there is significantly less traffic around than usual so ti doesn't feel too bad

Indeed, but all it takes is 1 with lots of ice around :( Anyway :) Good work on those that did.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I rode in today. Abolsutely fine along Lewisham Way, New Cross Rd and Old Kent Rd. Odd patches of slushy ice along the roadsides or on the middle of bus lanes (where the buses wheels don't go) but if you keep to the main roadway you're absolutely fine, the gritters have done their job. The only problem was my actual road which was quite snowy and icy, I just walked that and then started riding when I got to the main road. I saw a fair few other cyclists, admittedly not as many as usual, but there is also less traffic about. There were certainly quite a few cyclists in central London.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • rjeffroy
    rjeffroy Posts: 638
    yeah came in from South Ealing with no problems. You do need to stay out of the shoulders and cycle lanes where the slush has frozen solid, but the main carriageways are fine.

+1. Had to walk first quarter mile to main road but fine after that.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    No problem at all once I got onto a main road. Avoided the park, and gave Star and Garter Hill / Queens Road a miss too. Not much traffic, and hardly any bikes out.

Bolan Death Crash Bridge always seems to be much icier than anywhere else, and today was no exception. Still not that bad though.

Biggest hazard was peds walking down the middle of NKR because pavement is too icy...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • amnezia
    its was fine this morning. actually really enjoyed it, less cars and they were driving more considerately than usual.

had to walk the last 250 yards as the side road at work was pure ice.