Camera mount

iskander
iskander Posts: 43
edited March 2010 in MTB general
Does anybody have any ideas about how could I improvise a camera mount for a standard camera? I am thinking a velcro strap around the helmet or something. I have a compact camera that does HD video and I would like to give it a try.

Comments

• stomith
    stomith Posts: 332
    One of those little tripods selotaped to your head....please.....hehe.....gwaaaan.

take a piccy too :)
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Seen them on Ebay.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • stomith
    What about: as nearly all cameras have a standard female fixing hole...you could fabricate a simple meccano strut which could bend around your helmet and allow you to fix it with cables ties and some 'foam' to act as a vibration supression. The hole is so you can screw through the meccano into the camera.

The lower you can get it the better the action is imo. The higher the viewpoint- the better the quality.

Top of head is typically the best location.....or on the bars so you can see it...and put up with the vibration.

I'm being quite 'general', not absolute.
  • sounds like a dodgy site but google 'dogcam' or 'action cameras' - have all sorts of mounts including bar and helmet mounts etc with the female screw fixings for standard cameras
  • stomith wrote:
    One of those little tripods selotaped to your head....please.....hehe.....gwaaaan.

take a piccy too :)

I've actually done that - it works reaonably well - you just have to remember to tilt the camera back further than you think you need, and to keep your head up!
    Old hockey players never die - they just smell that way...
  • stomith
    something that worked.....

I put all my tools and stuff in my backpack now, and keep it off the bike. Then i spent a couple of hours fiddling with the hanging seat bag, some foam, old inner tubers, plumbing pipe lagging (15mm) and some electrical tape to make a warm and safe place for my camera. It looks backwards, is low enough to be "in the action" and produces great images of the person behind. 6 of us on a trail - i was able to set off 1st, film 2nd bike....then drop back one at a time through the group.

highly recommended, rather than handlebar (too shakey) or helmet cam (too high).
  • TowerRider
    TowerRider Posts: 430
    Have you actually seen the thread on the £13 (muvi copy) camera which comes with mounts and is pretty easy to mount to helmet if you want. Have a look in buying advice and search camera. Huge thread. Not sure if that helps but worth mentioning.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    little m5 bolt, some metal sheet on some high density foam zip tied to your helmet
    I like bikes and stuff
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    The bushing in the bottom of the camera should take a Whitworth screw (1/4" x 20tpi), similar to an M6 size but with a different thread pitch (you risk damaging the threads on the camera bushing trying to fit a M6). I too have a compact camera that takes HD movies (720p). I've just made a mount for my bars. Made a perspex box for it (similar idea to Go-Pro cams) with some foam padding and plastic hinges and mounting via an old electron light bracket.
    DSC00297.jpgDSC00296.jpgDSC00298.jpgDSC00300.jpg
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    one of my cycling buddies used a fairly simply lighting mount with zip ties arrangement.

I didn't get a close up on the detail but you can broadly work out what he did from this pic

02-11-2008_07.jpg
    FCN = 4