Cycling in the snow

MadammeMarie
MadammeMarie Posts: 621
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
Very appropriate for the weather we are having...! :)

2008-02-09.gif

Comments

• suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I think it would be more like the bike catching up to the car if the traffic is anything like it was the last time it was snowing like that during rush hour.
  • ktaylor
    ktaylor Posts: 58
    calvins-dad-snow-biking.gif
  • Had to improvise on the balaclava aspect today.

The base layer was a wax cotton hat - deer stalker style.

The safety layer was the bike helmet slackened off to fit on top of the base layer.

A different style of bike gear - and quite practical. Warm ears but couldn't hear other traffic as much.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    UKScooby wrote:
    Had to improvise on the balaclava aspect today.

The base layer was a wax cotton hat - deer stalker style.

The safety layer was the bike helmet slackened off to fit on top of the base layer.

A different style of bike gear - and quite practical. Warm ears but couldn't hear other traffic as much.

I wear a polyester balaclava as a beanie and use a buff to add windproofing, and "balaclavaness"

It lets me hear quite well
  • I've got a gore windstopper balaclava, its been great in the snowy weather with a buff at my neck and a pair of latex surgeon gloves as an interlayer between my wooly liners and outer gloves, I've not noticed its been cold at all and have been completely sealed against the wind.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    18 miles in 6" snow - took the MTB off road...what fun..... almost 3 hours riding though....

7 miles in (65% scenic/off road) - an hour in, and took the scenic 10.5 miles home....2 hours....loved it....

Only one off and me being clever and trying to climb a snow covered cobbled hill, when the bike had been jumping out all over....laughed as I fell off.....

2010-01-05115847.jpg