Bike vs Tube

Comments

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Indeed, it doesn't account for locking your bike up though... but bike would still be quicker I feel.
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Yeah, true.

It's interesting what they say about the time walking to/from the tube, I always forget to factor that in to tube journeys, invariably making me late!
  • door to door using feet and tube I take roughly 45 mins. 30 mins by bike.
    - with no locks it being secure area visible from my desk.

Nice excuse LiT - but surely now you've remembered no excuse for being late next time :wink:
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    door to door using feet and tube I take roughly 45 mins. 30 mins by bike.

Nice excuse LiT - but surely now you've remembered no excuse for being late next time :wink:
    Ahem, Bleeding Heart!* Eh, eh?

* I was also late, mind...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • JonGinge wrote:
    door to door using feet and tube I take roughly 45 mins. 30 mins by bike.

Ahem, Bleeding Heart!* Eh, eh?

* I was also late, mind...

:D That was me just being a bit crap and figuring you all weren't meeting on the dot of 12 so I arrived fashionably late... 8)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    More of an issue than locking up is probably changing/showering time - that would eat up a fair bit of the bikes lead.

However, as long as the travel time isn't excessive (eg less than 1 hour), I don't think it really matters much - you just get used to however long your commute takes. Much more important is consistency of travel time and in this respect, cycling really is in a different league to any form of motorised transport. I doubt that my commute time varies by more than about 7 minutes whatever the weather or traffic conditions. It was the delays that stressed me most before I started cycling to work.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf F wrote:
    More of an issue than locking up is probably changing/showering time - that would eat up a fair bit of the bikes lead.

Irrelevant unless you add the time it took to wash before you walked to the tube into account too. They cancel each other out.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    http://www.dcs.gla.ac.uk/~craigm/challenge.shtml

A far better tube/bike speed experiment :)
  • It's in GLASGOW.

I mean, who lives in Glasgow? Nobody, that's who...

:wink: :P

Also I'm very rarely late, almost never when going by bike. Unlike some people.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    It's in GLASGOW.

:wink: :P

Also I'm very rarely late, almost never when going by bike. Unlike some people.

I'm half tempted to see if it's reproducable in London :)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Irrelevant unless you add the time it took to wash before you walked to the tube into account too. They cancel each other out.

Well not really - I certainly spend longer getting faffing with clothes and washing when I cycle - a quick top half sink wash and getting dressed once is much quicker than getting dressed in cycling gear, then stripping out at the office, showering and getting dressed again. Generally, I'm out of the house within 20 minutes of getting out of bed whether I cycle or not. Where the time is offset a bit is that the computer can do its long slow boot while I'm in the shower at work but then, as I'm usually in first anyway, I get to wash the coffee mugs and fill the tea flask which also covers the computer boot time as well so that probably doesn't make much difference........
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Commuting time about the same for me ONLY if public transport works normally. On average I guess there was some kind of PT problem once a week, and a bike problem once every 2-3 months.
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    Commuting time about the same for me ONLY if public transport works normally. On average I guess there was some kind of PT problem once a week, and a bike problem once every 2-3 months.

Indeed: the knock on effect of public transport punctuality is often underrated.

My journey is quicker if I combine bike and train, but alas more expensive.

Obviously if I get a puncture that might take me even 10 minutes to fix in this lousy weather.

More importantly though, when it snowed a couple of weeks ago, I was the quickest to get home, even including the 15 minute train delay.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    It's in GLASGOW.

HELLO ....... Nobody here.......
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • It's in GLASGOW.

Bar a few gadges and ned's :lol:
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    It's in GLASGOW.

Bar a few gadges and ned's :lol:

Ned's? In this weather? Don't think they have Sealskinz Shell Suits yet, with storm flaped zips, and gore-tex lined base ball caps. Siggi thermal flask to keep the Buckie at room temperature instead of -8, and a Hilios Storm Lighter for getting your tabs lit in the snow.

No, safe for a few days...... :P
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    The last couple of days the tube from Paddington to KX has taken 35-40mins each way

Bike this morning = 11mins and I stop a red lights :D
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • It's in GLASGOW.

O hai!

:lol: