Replacing Chain

Dav3m
Dav3m Posts: 84
edited January 2010 in MTB beginners
Hi all,

Having had about 4 chain snaps now, and fixing it with 4 power links I think it's about time I purchase a new one!

Now i've heard, and don't know whether it's true or not, but you should replace the cogs when replacing the chain - cna anyone comment on that? Sounds like it will be pretty pricey to do!

Can someone also recommend a decent chain to purchase?

Comments

• nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    Is your chain snapping because the teeth are worn?
    Replacing the cogs with the chain means they wear together so will "fit" whereas if you put a new chain on old cogs the old cogs might wear the chain too quickly.
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Dav3m wrote:
    Now i've heard, and don't know whether it's true or not, but you should replace the cogs when replacing the chain - cna anyone comment on that?
    Ah that would be Bike Shop Rule #17. Usually you have to replace the chain rings, cranks, shifters and cables at the same time :roll:

Chains are consumables so as to reduce wear-and-tear on expensive items like cassettes and chain rings. Having said that, it's important that they don't break and they have to look as good as possible while they're wearing out. I've used XT/XTR chains for years and never had a problem with them, although no doubt someone will be along to tell you that they're sh*te.
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    As blitz says, some people will whinge about Shimano chains, but I've never had a single problem with them in the past either. SRAM and KMC are also popular, so take your pick.... Just make sure it's the correct size ie 7/8/9 speed.

If you do need a new cassette, they're not stupidly expensive online, it just depends what spec you want.

There's probably a reason your chain keeps breaking - Are you using mismatched gears? Is it too short?
  • LoUiS1985
    LoUiS1985 Posts: 841
    .blitz wrote:
    Dav3m wrote:
    Now i've heard, and don't know whether it's true or not, but you should replace the cogs when replacing the chain - cna anyone comment on that?
    Ah that would be Bike Shop Rule #17. Usually you have to replace the chain rings, cranks, shifters and cables at the same time :roll:

Chains are consumables so as to reduce wear-and-tear on expensive items like cassettes and chain rings. Having said that, it's important that they don't break and they have to look as good as possible while they're wearing out. I've used XT/XTR chains for years and never had a problem with them, although no doubt someone will be along to tell you that they're sh*te.

they're sh*te...... :wink:
  • LoUiS1985
    LoUiS1985 Posts: 841
    also make sure you thoroughly clean, de-grease and lube your chain regularly as failure can cause links to stiffen which can be a cause of a chain snapping!
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    LoUiS1985 wrote:
    .blitz wrote:
    Dav3m wrote:

they're sh*te...... :wink:

:lol: beat me to it.
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    ill 2nd it, yep deffo shyte.

i can kill a shimano xt spec chain in about 50mile where as the srams still holiding up from before last summer.

shimano is japanese and japs weigh about 3 stone wet through

where as sram is american and americans eat lots of burgers and are generaly fat so need stronger chains.

you do the math :lol: .
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    Ive used both shimano and sram chains over the years and everytime it comes to replacing one ive brought sram.

Maybe its psychological but they seem to shift better than shimano and the power link is worth it alone in terms of cleaning it.

In short, buy sram :D