de-icing

ploppy
ploppy Posts: 173
edited January 2010 in MTB general
anyone think de-icer will damage my gears?

up to now i have had to use a kettle on the cable guide underneath to melt the frost but odviously im limited to around and hour of cycling because it freezes up again. was thinking of taking a tin of de-icer on my rides to combat this.

what does everyone else use?
go flat out or fall out!

Comments

• Graydawg
    Graydawg Posts: 673
    Can't see it causing a problem, short term at least it would be fine. No worse than getting salt and grit in the gears at this time of year!
    It's been a while...
  • tiny_pens
    tiny_pens Posts: 293
    What about spraying a water displacement agent (AC90 / WD40 type) after its defrosted so there isn't any water to freeze again?
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    sorry to hijack, but do they still make AC90? we used to use this stuff as flamethrowers when I was younger!
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • Dr S
    Dr S Posts: 146
    How about a dab of grease over the guide to keep the water out?
    Kona Kula Supreme, the hardtail
    Scott Spark 20 the softtail
    Cannondale CAAD9 the roadie
  • ploppy
    was thinking of wd, didnt know how well it'd work tomorrow though as we're meant to get snow down here and didnt know if it may just get washed off.

never heard of AC90 though, is that just a similar thing to wd40?
    go flat out or fall out!
  • what does everyone else use?
    for stuff freezing up mid-ride? P1ss.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    scene as de-icer is actually just rebranded isopropyl alcohol, then it will abliterate any lube, and leav it all as dry as can be, so i use TF2
    I like bikes and stuff
  • ploppy
    scene as de-icer is actually just rebranded isopropyl alcohol, then it will abliterate any lube, and leav it all as dry as can be, so i use TF2

didnt know that fact.
    go flat out or fall out!
  • ploppy
    what does everyone else use?
    for stuff freezing up mid-ride? P1ss.

going by your username, i take it you dont have this problem
    go flat out or fall out!
  • I have other bikes :) Anyway the Explosif has cables - BB7s.
    I use the same technique for various purposes. De-frosting the ties holding a boat in place on a trailer, after a 3 hour drive through a blizzard back from a race...abandon car and trailer in the middle of nowhere, but need to get boat back to boathouse? Nature's antifreeze comes into its own.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009

yup i agree, it will act like a degreaser you may have to wipe off any excess de-icer and re-lube.
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    "I have other bikes Anyway the Explosif has cables - BB7s.
    I use the same technique for various purposes."

cold fingers :wink:
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    tsenior wrote:
    "I have other bikes Anyway the Explosif has cables - BB7s.
    I use the same technique for various purposes."

cold fingers :wink:
    NICE
    I like bikes and stuff
  • tiny_pens wrote:
    What about spraying a water displacement agent (AC90 / WD40 type) after its defrosted so there isn't any water to freeze again?

This works a treat! Had to do my car door locks with Wd40.....no more freezing :D

And de-icer is abit nasty on rubber but cant see it doing any harm on a cassette
    80 x 80 is not enough pixels!!!!

http://www.monzaautomotive.com/

My bikes and a few riding pics http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12673633