Riding on ice

2»

Comments

• am loving it - never miss the commute on the bike regardless of the weather - tonnes or snow and ice here - just taking me time on the corners (big style). aint changed the setup of the bike at all - running the usual nobbly Xc tyres at normal pressure.

its great fun and a challenge!

just watch me break my neck on the way home tonight! :)
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    BMW's are fantastic, it's just the c@cks that drive them, that said you rarely see a proper BMW like an M3 being driven by a c@ck, it's jumped up reps in their 330d's that drive like that.
    I'm 26 and have always wanted a porsche, nearly bought a 944 when I was about 18 till I realised the insurance was more than the car!
    what's wrong with bran flakes?!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Paul 8v wrote:
    330d's

Oo, so close....... :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Paul 8v
    lol, as long as you aren't the guy off pistonheads with the "chipped 330d" that was apparently as quick as a ferrari... he got ripped to peices with about three hundred pages of abuse...
    I know it does sound like a horrible stereotype and my non driving friends thought it was a propsterous statement about BM drivers, untill they started driving and found the exact same thing...
    Obviously it isn't every BMW driver but it does happen a heck of a lot
    it does appear that Audi's are becoming the new w@nkers car now though, which is a shame as I love Audi's too, why can't it be something rubbish that they drive...
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Errrmm - BMWs - relevance?

Josh - you aren't old enough to have any opinions so I suggest you stop trying.

I slipped on ice once, smashed my lid, ripped the arm off a new coat, and totalled myself. I have also bust an ankle hitting a tree. These and a thing called "responsibility" (I break a limb, my business, wife and son suffer, you do the same, Mummy looks after you for a few weeks) have meant more caution when riding.

Doesn't happen in surfing - sliced my face open, nearly drowned twice, dislocated shoulder several times, bust ribs, etc but still surf in just as big waves and go for as big (if not bigger) moves. Fine calling me old (34) but have you won any triathlons recently or top 10'd in any 10k trail races? I doubt it.

Oh and the car is a 335d Touring- a damn good car that's quicker than most but not all others ... And it IS faster than some Ferraris - very old ones though :lol:

Reps all drive 318 and 320ds. The 330d is a proper BMW but missing a turbo.

Thanks for the attempted character assasination though.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    On the subject of breaking limbs, it's almost 5 years to the day since I broke my hip in my driveway after sliding on a little patch of ice (while walking). So, my considered advice is to not break your hip.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Paul 8v
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    Errrmm - BMWs - relevance?

Josh - you aren't old enough to have any opinions so I suggest you stop trying.

I slipped on ice once, smashed my lid, ripped the arm off a new coat, and totalled myself. I have also bust an ankle hitting a tree. These and a thing called "responsibility" (I break a limb, my business, wife and son suffer, you do the same, Mummy looks after you for a few weeks) have meant more caution when riding.

Doesn't happen in surfing - sliced my face open, nearly drowned twice, dislocated shoulder several times, bust ribs, etc but still surf in just as big waves and go for as big (if not bigger) moves. Fine calling me old (34) but have you won any triathlons recently or top 10'd in any 10k trail races? I doubt it.

Oh and the car is a 335d Touring- a damn good car that's quicker than most but not all others ... And it IS faster than some Ferraris - very old ones though :lol:

Reps all drive 318 and 320ds. The 330d is a proper BMW but missing a turbo.

Thanks for the attempted character assasination though.

Faster than a mondial :D
    Didn't mean any harm with that post but I've been driving nearly 10 years now and unfortunately it does appear to be a commn trait, obviously not every BMW driver is like that and I'm sure you aren't. As I said I like BMW's 8)
  • Dr S
    Dr S Posts: 146
    I believe the retort your looking for to young josh is 'I've got pants older than you'

Normally does the trick..
    Kona Kula Supreme, the hardtail
    Scott Spark 20 the softtail
    Cannondale CAAD9 the roadie
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    i go out riding on the ice, but carefully- i limped my way home in fresh snow today, and wouldn't consider it 'a sense of weakness'. if I bust or sprain something I can't ride, fence, or generally do anything...

on a side note, increasing the chances of crashes increases the chances of expensive broken bits of bike.
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • Surf-Matt
    Paul - I hate the image of them too - it's why I've resisted buying one until now.

But it is rather fun. Cr4p in the snow though :cry::lol:
  • missmarple
    missmarple Posts: 1,980
    For once I actually agree with Matt on this subject, Josh - do you not realise that once you reach adulthood one has responsibilities? For example, if I were to break an arm or leg due to faffing around on the ice - I'd be out of work for over 3 months, potentially lose my job, have my licence lapse and have to go through a lot of aggro just to get back to where I was before due to being a tad irresponsible. And I'm only 18.

Now I'm sure there are a fair few other people who would be in the same situation as me. Think about things before you blurt them out.
  • i dont mean this in a bad way matt, but, how old are you?
    im gonna go for 30+ my exact guess is 32,
    this means that you are starting the decline into decrepidness, soon you will be a dribbling old man in a chair with the mail on your knee...
    this means that your sence of danger, and overall feelings of weakness are incresing, Hencem you no longer look at ice with a sence of fun as im sure you used to, but you know view it with a sence of trepidation, you are scared... dont worry, it happens to everyone, one day, even steve peat will feel this....
    its especialy clear this is what is happening, as i notice you have recently aquired a road bike, this means you are now eat bran flakes, yet more proof of your decline into middle age..
    i have some more questions....
    did you recently buy a expensive and extremely nice custom board, with your name hidden somewhere in its design? i thought so...
    have you at any point in recent times looked at a porche and thought "yes, id like one of them" (it could also have been a BMW)
    you see, you are now middle aged..... its not wrong for you to have a mid life crisis, its natural, but you need to realise it is the reason for your inability to ride your bike on ice...

anyway, im 14, so idont want a Porche, and i dont want a custom surf board (well....., maybe i do, but....)
    this is why i still enjoy riding my bike on ice, and why i have no plans to start being sensible...
    right, now where did i put my v-brake semi slick 1.5 tyre'd commmuter... i fancy a snow ride...

ha.ha. age is no barrier to fear and the young (what ever age you consider young) are not immune to fear and shouldn't be either ;-)

As well as mountain biking I am into white water kayaking, diving, rock climbing and mountaineering. UK Alps and the greater ranges. At 38 I still consider myself as young and I am still learning a lot from the experienced guys of 50+ who all acknowledge and listen to fear. It's what keeps us alive.

I'm happy to go out on the trails in all weather but at the same time I know when not to push the boundaries, when to walk away from a climb or step away from a route that I think may avalanche or a trail in to dangerous conditions. Fear is a key sense that stops us from winding up dead or being in a serious accident. Unfortunately Bravado and "I can do anything" can be the undoing of the young or not quite as experienced. Or you could be unlucky one day!

Anyway, what I means to say is.... don't laugh at those who show fear, it could be that they have more experience than you and know better! At the same time don't let fear control you, use it, it is a sixth sense and keeps you enjoying the things you love!!

Duncan
  • hyperman
    hyperman Posts: 232
    I'm 37 years old in just over a week, we have 6 inches of snow where I live and the roads are extremely icy, I have a full time job, and responsibilites like any other man my age..so did I go out tonight on the bike? Your damn right I did!! And what a blast!! Through forest tracks as fast as I could, jumping into fields full of fresh snow, down steep hills where the sledgers had been, was out for a couple of hours and loved every minute of it..am I irresponsible? No!! I'm just living life to the full..midlife crisis? Who, me? Oh, and all done with a broken bone in my right wrist and torn ligaments in my left hand done at dalby 3 weeks ago!! God I love mtbing!!
  • Surf-Matt
    Well we have snow today and it's actually MUCH easier to ride in than ice!
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    Well we have snow today and it's actually MUCH easier to ride in than ice!

That depends if you are an idiot like myself and you decide to still go out on slicks... My slicks are fine on ice as I can see it and use the spots with no ice to prepare. Slicks on snow and ice is a recipe for disaster, and almost was several times. :shock: That said, the masochist in me still enjoyed the ride in :?

First thing I am doing when/if I get home today is fit the knobblies on the commuter bike...
  • Surf-Matt
    The snow here seems almost quite "dry" and crunchy - it's actually quite grippy. Just sledged down the garden (got a nice 100ish yard run) with the baby (15 month old) boy - he loved it and so did I!
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    Snow on nobblies I find no problem. The black ice we had aorund here a week ago was simply lethal. One group from our club had 5 of 7 go down, 2 hospitalised, courtesy of ice on the road. So I'll ride offroad until the ice is gone, crossing roads with caution!
  • get out in the snow it is awesome on the bike:D love people's pictures of mtb in snow very jealous that we haven't got the proper powder shame we don't usually get snow! got small amount yestarday but now ice today. Enjoyed the small amount of riding did get in the snow !! although care needed with a small amount of snow it cover over the ice! Doubt that's much of a problem for u guys on the mainland if the pics of the amount snow u got is anything to go by :) but will be pain if snow carry's on in england much longer.
  • Josh, when you no longer have your mam to take care of you, bring you lucozade and knock before coming on as to not catch you 'enjoying yourself' to mtv videos of tlc, then you'll realise that sometimes life is serious, and if a grown up totals him/herself and put themselves out of actions there are a few more consequences that not being able to text properly or get an extension on your coursework.

you might make 30, then we'll see how the bravado works then mate.

unfortunately there's no way i can get the bike down the hill i live on, or at least get it back up there afterwards... if i can get out me house, i'll go for a ride!
  • Surf-Matt
    I just went for a run instead - very enjoyable! Fourth running day in a row now. Still looking forward to getting back on the bike. Gales, rain, etc don't stop us (me or wife) but we draw the line at ice. She fell badly on it two years ago and really hurt herself.
  • i'm still commuting in the ice :D

it's sketchy though, and i'm with the guys who don't want to hurt themselves! work already frown upon any bike related injuries i have, so trying to keep them to a minimum
  • Kiblams
    The trick guys, is to not do anything you aren't confident you are able to do :wink:

I go fast as normal on gritted roads but relatively slow on ice, might be worth pointing out that my arse never touches the saddle while riding on ice.
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    fresh snows great! couldent get the car out today so rode the 10 miles or so to work, about half on bridlepaths old railways etc, sun shining, 1 ft of powder, no worries on knoblies

smooth ice is a nightmare though, also compacted old snow over hardstanding: make the most of it while its fresh.

EDIT: and it cleans your bike, its gleaming!
  • missmarple
    missmarple Posts: 1,980
    Snow in London now too! :P My Tenn Cycling trousers arrived too, I could always go try them out.
  • Paul 8v
    Starting to come down more in Essex, I've got some cack old tyres I was given, might see if I can make some studded tyres with them if this lasts
  • Waderider
    Waderider Posts: 101
    edited January 2010
    Full speed everywhere hope it never ends!

4248930728_26036296eb.jpg

P.S. I am a mature responsible 36 year old.
    Don't upgrade, cycle up grades.
  • Kiblams
    You could do someone a mischeif with those explorers! :shock:
  • Phonk7
    Phonk7 Posts: 178
    i dont mean this in a bad way matt, but, how old are you?
    im gonna go for 30+ my exact guess is 32,
    this means that you are starting the decline into decrepidness, soon you will be a dribbling old man in a chair with the mail on your knee...
    this means that your sence of danger, and overall feelings of weakness are incresing, Hencem you no longer look at ice with a sence of fun as im sure you used to, but you know view it with a sence of trepidation, you are scared... dont worry, it happens to everyone, one day, even steve peat will feel this....
    its especialy clear this is what is happening, as i notice you have recently aquired a road bike, this means you are now eat bran flakes, yet more proof of your decline into middle age..
    i have some more questions....
    did you recently buy a expensive and extremely nice custom board, with your name hidden somewhere in its design? i thought so...
    have you at any point in recent times looked at a porche and thought "yes, id like one of them" (it could also have been a BMW)
    you see, you are now middle aged..... its not wrong for you to have a mid life crisis, its natural, but you need to realise it is the reason for your inability to ride your bike on ice...

anyway, im 14, so idont want a Porche, and i dont want a custom surf board (well....., maybe i do, but....)
    this is why i still enjoy riding my bike on ice, and why i have no plans to start being sensible...
    right, now where did i put my v-brake semi slick 1.5 tyre'd commmuter... i fancy a snow ride...
    Im 15 and i dont see ice as fun... but then im older than you, i might be having a mid life crisis?
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    Problem is that until one has an accident it all seems very `trepidatious` to not get out and about in this weather. Some very good points made about teh personal cost resulting from an accident; let alone teh sheer inconvenience recovery period. so please josh/mbukman before casting out your comments about decrepid people and over cautious people, (I`m 49 btw), think about it carefully??? It`s all great fun until you get a `wake up call` accident :(
  • R2 D2
    R2 D2 Posts: 34
    I have quite enjoyed the new cycling surface this week. Challenging but fun. Have had my cautious head on a few times but as someone else said it seems easier to cycle on ice than walk on it. The snow is just fun though.