What could be wrong (pedalled, wheel didn't move)

pastryboy
pastryboy Posts: 1,385
edited January 2010 in The workshop
My bike has been tempramental for a while, every so often (particularly in the wet) there's a 'clunk' when I pedal hard as if something is jumping/skipping. Never happens when the bike is on a stand or when I'm looking down at it so I can't see exactly what's causing it. Both the rear wheel and cassette are pretty new.

Yesterday right at the start of my journey I pedalled and nothing happened. The rear cogs were spinning but the wheel wasn't getting pushed round.

I assumed the freehub body was broken and so there was nothing to push round but I took it off later and it's absolutely fine - all the splined bits are in line with the cassette and I couldn't make it slip no matter how hard I tried. I haven't had the chance to put the wheel back on the bike yet.

I am at a bit of a loss to what could be wrong with it, any ideas?

Comments

• Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Sounds like the freewheel is biffed. You provide a great deal more power pedalling than you can by hand
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    ^ what he said. Although it looks fine the internals are probably knackered. Or frozen up. Dunno how you fix them though.
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    Apparently it can't be fixed as it's a sealed unit but fortunately it's under warranty. Not being much of an expert I thought it best to check it out before having to go through the major hassle of posting back the whole wheel.
  • The pawls can freeze . Tip a kettle over it and see if it works.
    <a>road</a>