Alternative to Donuts?

Runoutofgears
Runoutofgears Posts: 348
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
It is customary to buy donuts for the office, (90 to 100 staff) on your birthday, problem is I suspect no one is going to be interested in donuts so soon after Christmas, any suggestions for an alternative?

Perhaps I should just move my birthday to a more suitable time of the year?
I ache, therefore I am.

Comments

• iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Get donuts, and if no-one is interested, well then, more for you :D
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Mince pies.

They'll be really cheap now ! You can probably get a hundred for less than a fiver ;-)
    Push the boat out and get brandy cream (yum!) as well and you'll still get the lot for £10.

[/tight]
    Misguided Idealist
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Retro biscuits - Club, Penguins, Wagon Wheels etc.
  • Get them all to chip in a quid and buy you a nice big birthday cake :D
  • fenboy369
    fenboy369 Posts: 425
    Alternative to donuts? Get out. GET OUT NOW!

YumYums from Sainsburys. Get the big ones....................
    '11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
    '11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
    '09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
    '07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8
  • snakehips
    snakehips Posts: 2,272
    How about Sainsbury's Taste the Difference Ecclefechan ?

Snake

My Library
    'Follow Me' the wise man said, but he walked behind!
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    fenboy369 wrote:
    Alternative to donuts? Get out. GET OUT NOW!

YumYums from Sainsburys. Get the big ones....................

+1 Yumyums are the only alternative to donuts.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    I do not like donuts.

Empire biscuits all round.....
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    How about a nice rich tea or digestive biscuit. Or jaffa cakes, everyone loves a jaffa cake :D
  • I suspect no one is going to be interested in donuts so soon after Christmas
    what sort of freaks do you work with???
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    I suspect no one is going to be interested in donuts so soon after Christmas
    what sort of freaks do you work with???

There is no alternative to Doughnuts.

Only Death.

Doughnuts or Death.

There is too much baked goods / even better fried goods backsliding going on around here and the rot must stop.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • fenboy369
    You need to have a competition at work to see who can get the most standard sized jam filled donuts in their mouth without chewing. I can do 2 but 3 makes me gag. But I have seen 4 done. That was impressive.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Did someone call????

krispykreme.jpg

drooling-homer-simpson.jpg
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Yum Yums are wrong - donuts are good.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    It is customary to buy donuts for the office, (90 to 100 staff) on your birthday, problem is I suspect no one is going to be interested in donuts so soon after Christmas, any suggestions for an alternative?

Perhaps I should just move my birthday to a more suitable time of the year?
    Bagels?
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Bagels?

Oh yeah - I'm that's what the kids want, the heaviest most chewable bit of baked rubber in the history of mankind.

I remember (swing lamp - take a seat young 'uns and listen to me) when bagels were an exotic and fantastic thing that Americans talked about, like pastrani on rye.

Years later when you cound get them here I kidded myself that smoked salmon and cream cheese on a bagel is the height of urban cool.

It's not - waste of Salmon and Cheese to put it on something that can be used as Challenger tank track pad. As for pastrami and rye - Christ - heavily peppered sawdust bread anyone?

So - in a roundabout way - no - take an F for your pish poor counter challenge to the orthodoxy of Crispy Kreme.

Next.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Greg T wrote:
    waste of Salmon and Cheese to put it on something that can be used as Challenger tank track pad

FLOL, cheers for that Mr T :lol:

I have had a few crannog classics in my time - usually hangover recovery.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • I did once suggesrt taking in friut, then the fat ugly bird said if you ever bring in friut I will slash your tyres...so I didn't tak anything :lol: I now work some where else.
  • Fireblade96
    Greg T wrote:
    Bagels?

Oh yeah - I'm that's what the kids want, the heaviest most chewable bit of baked rubber in the history of mankind.

+100000

Bagels. Why ? Just why ???
    Misguided Idealist
  • Just caught up with the responses and have now cleared my throat having choked on my apple, must remember to shake the bits out of the keyboard later.

These days we seem to have a fair few people in the office looking after their waist lines, so last time I took donuts in I ended up taking a load of them home. I could get Mrs ROOG to bake a few cakes, but that would seem a bit unkind, (I’m sure she doesn’t read this, waits for angry phone call).

I was just wondering if there was a widely used and healthy (ish) alternative, so far it seems not.
    I ache, therefore I am.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Greg T wrote:
    Bagels?

+100000

It's environmentally friendly - basically, it allows people to develop a taste for stale bread and think it is a premium product at the same time :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Eccles cakes. With full buttery pastry outer. Just about unbeatable. Never actually eaten one inside Eccles city limits but they could only be better in that estimable town.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • fenboy369
    Get the little boxes of mini yumyums, mini cookies, mini flapjacks etc... that Saino's do for a pound a tub. Fat people who want to get thin will eat one or two because they are small and wont be too bad for the diet. This makes the thin people laugh and also increases moral. The fat people who dont care can eat 5 or 6 and be happy.
    Also get custard filled donuts. They are the slag of all donuts... hmmmmmmmmmmmm....
  • fenboy369
    Or a selection of pork pies, scotch eggs and mustards....
  • neil²
    neil² Posts: 337
    fenboy369 wrote:
    Or a selection of pork pies, scotch eggs and mustards....

Dickinson and Morris, please, if you do.

My vote is for Tunnock's Tea Cakes - made with real eggs instead of gelatine.
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Rolf F wrote:
    Greg T wrote:
    Bagels?

+100000

It's environmentally friendly - basically, it allows people to develop a taste for stale bread and think it is a premium product at the same time :lol:
    Proper bagels aren't available in the UK.

Until you've tried Montreal style, straight from a brick oven, you haven't tasted bagels.

Stale pieces of wood sold in 5's in Tesco are merely stale bread in round form.
  • skins2
    skins2 Posts: 78
    Is that 24-hour bagel shop on Brick Lane still there? IIRC they tasted OK.
  • Fireblade96
    Skins2 wrote:
    Is that 24-hour bagel shop on Brick Lane still there? IIRC they tasted OK.
    I used to occasionally go there when a mate lived in the area - however, I only ever tried their bagels when (a) said mate suggested it and (b) we'd each had about 10 pints. Under those strict laboratory conditions they may have been palatable ;-)
    Misguided Idealist
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Rolf F wrote:
    Greg T wrote:
    Bagels?

+100000

Proper bagels aren't available in the UK.

not entirely true, while I can't comment on montreal style the jewish community around finsbury park do make fu<king amazing bagels... I'm aware their competition is pi$$ poor
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14