Assos Winter Glove System: Does anyone use them?

Grindy
Grindy Posts: 25
edited February 2011 in Commuting chat
I'm looking at the Assos Winter Glove system as a replacement for my SealSkinz Waterproof Winter Technical MTB Glove.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=31844

I find the Sealskinz gloves to be awful at keeping my hands warm in temperatures below freezing even with a pair of the wool liners underneath. Within 10 minutes I can't feel my fingers.

Has anyone used the Assos gloves? Will they keep my hands warm in temperatures below freezing?

If the Assos gloves aren't up to it, which gloves do work when the temperature is below freezing (I want toasty fingers, not just bearable)

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Grindy wrote:
    Has anyone used the Assos gloves? Will they keep my hands warm in temperatures below freezing?

Yes and yes.

They are ridiculously expensive, but if I were to lose mine, I'd replace them in an instant. That's the acid test for me.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    I would guess that not many people have these, they're somewhat pricy :shock:

I've tried lots of things and I think that keeping your core temp really warm is part of the key, not just the gloves, but below 0degC you will probably get cold fingers whatever happens

although I would say that the combination of layers and a mitten outer will be the most likely to work in the seriously cold
    (I'm tempted to try 2 liner gloves inside industrial rubber gloves for the tightarse version)

if you do get a pair, report back, I'm interested to see a field trial :)
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I'm tempted and if you look at it with logic you get 3 sets of gloves for £100, which isn't that bad

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/assos-winter-glove-item132583.html

http://www.bicycling.com/article/0,6610,s-1-7-15298-1,00.html

Hell I've just convinced myself :lol:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • habibi
    habibi Posts: 143
    I use them, but even down to -5c or so, i only need the core "early winter" gloves on their own, without the inner gloves. Have never needed to use the lobster gloves. Depends on your circulation I suppose. But they are very good gloves, they'd certainly keep you warm.
  • I looked into this in the summer and concluded that the only ones I'd use are the gloves themselves, as I already have inner gloves for skiing and the lobsters are really for the extreme weather that you wouldn't be cycling in any way.

The Assos gloves themselves are beautifully made and fit perfectly but mine are still in their box as I haven't worn out the £7.61 Planet X Windtex ones that were also in the Ribble summer sale, and seemed such a bargain I couldn't resist. These gloves do look a bit like Assos and have kept me very warm so far (with inners atm). I thought they'd be binned by now or too cold but they're still going strong. Wish I'd bought another pair at that price...
  • I have the set (bought from Ribble) and even though the temperature is around -1 to -5C here in Scotland I have yet to use the Lobster Claws.

If you were desperate to saving money, buy the Assos Early Winter (middle) glove only (Wiggle) and a cheaper glove liner from elsewhere.
  • Clever Pun
    can you buy the lobster dohicky on its own?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Clever Pun wrote:

I seem to recall that you have to buy the full set to get the lobsters...
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Clever Pun wrote:

I've googled several times but only found sites in the US or Germany that sell the lobsters on their own... :(
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • The Assos gloves themselves are beautifully made and fit perfectly but mine are still in their box as I haven't worn out the £7.61 Planet X Windtex ones that were also in the Ribble summer sale, and seemed such a bargain I couldn't resist. These gloves do look a bit like Assos and have kept me very warm so far (with inners atm). I thought they'd be binned by now or too cold but they're still going strong. Wish I'd bought another pair at that price...

Interesting - how long have you had them? I thought the PX gloves were great, except (a) they made my hands sweat in all weathers, I assume because they're lined with rubber, and (b) the gloves themselves lasted a single winter before starting to disintegrate - on teh pads of the fingers, and the palm seams, IIRC.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • JonGinge wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

I've googled several times but only found sites in the US or Germany that sell the lobsters on their own... :(

Ebay? Ebay.de often has a good selection of assos stuff.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • jonginge
    Greg66 wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

Ebay? Ebay.de often has a good selection of assos stuff.
    Yeah, my searching was pretty half-hearted. Cheapest I saw was about 50 quid at the current exchanges rates: too much on their own. For most conditions in the south of the uk the assos early winter gloves are great. When it's cold I've got some Castelli Max Dues, which are as toasty as toast can be.
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Greg66 wrote:
    The Assos gloves themselves are beautifully made and fit perfectly but mine are still in their box as I haven't worn out the £7.61 Planet X Windtex ones that were also in the Ribble summer sale, and seemed such a bargain I couldn't resist. These gloves do look a bit like Assos and have kept me very warm so far (with inners atm). I thought they'd be binned by now or too cold but they're still going strong. Wish I'd bought another pair at that price...

Interesting - how long have you had them? I thought the PX gloves were great, except (a) they made my hands sweat in all weathers, I assume because they're lined with rubber, and (b) the gloves themselves lasted a single winter before starting to disintegrate - on teh pads of the fingers, and the palm seams, IIRC.

New this autumn, although the stitching's a bit frayed now, but for that money I'm not worried. I thought they would do until it got cold, but it seems that they may see me through..
  • Well, mine were rubbish I am sad to say!

First pair, stitching ripped on the 851 on a single ride.

Second pair, wore the lobsters today for the first time, the leatherette palm delaminated and came adrfit from the edge of the glove.

Awful. Gone back for a refund.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Clever Pun
    Really? wow
    Mine are great, superb when it got really very cold indeed. the stitching on one of the gloves is going a little but isn't actually affecting the glove at all
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • jonginge
    Had my Early Winter 851s for 2 years. Still pristine. Sounds like some bad luck there.
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    these arnt waterproof but its what i always wear

http://www.blacks.co.uk/product/010983.html

super toasty!
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • I have the middle & lobster (lobsters from eBay) and wear gore running gloves as a liner (because I had some). Great down to -11C (lowest I've tested). Middle and outer for -5C and above. Nicely water resistant too. Great.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • mrdsgs
    mrdsgs Posts: 337
    I've got a boxed set, came as a Christmas present. Black, size large. Only worn the main gloves once. Inners and lobsters unworn.

I still have my assos thermax gloves which have loads of wear left so they will not get any use.

Happy to sell my boxed set within the UK for £110 posted recorded delivery.
    Colnago Addict!
  • Clever Pun
    JonGinge wrote:
    Had my Early Winter 851s for 2 years. Still pristine. Sounds like some bad luck there.

haven't you ridden a grand total of 56 this month so far? :lol:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • jonginge
    Clever Pun wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

haven't you ridden a grand total of 56 this month so far? :lol:
    *penny drops* Aha!

:lol::lol:

May not have been all that diligent about logging miles...
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    Really? wow
    Mine are great, superb when it got really very cold indeed. the stitching on one of the gloves is going a little but isn't actually affecting the glove at all

Yep. Wasn't happy, and 90% of my stuff is Assos. Lobster thing was really odd today. Almost as if the palm wasn't properly "stuck" to the backing. Part of one hand had "wrinkled" and there was a tear on the other hand.

Waiting on the shop who might say "it's caused by holding onto the bars."

But, you'd hope, for a pair of gloves, they wont say that ;)
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.