Trans Wales 2010... anyone thinking of doing this??

Fairymonk
Fairymonk Posts: 5
edited January 2010 in Women
Has anyone out there done a Merida Trans Wales or something similiar before? Is anyone thinking of doing this year's?

I have pretty much decided to give it a go but will be doing it as a solo female :( as I know no one else that would even consider it! I'm an average biker, have done a couple of the Merida marathons and I love a challenge (especially when it involves camping!). I guess I'm interested to see if there is anyone else thinking of having a go or has done it in the past so that I can pick brains and feel a bit better about the whole thing. A couple of people have told me its great fun and not as scary as it seems!

So is there anyone out there??? Oh and I'm new to this forum thing so even this scares me a bit!

Comments

• Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Why pay £400 for a "ride" you and your mates can do? Seems a bit steep - pardon the pun! - to me. I'm sure MBUK can provide some details as they did a similar Nth/Sth trip last year.

I'd prefer to get some plans with my mates and do a blast round the Trail Centres.
    I'm sure it won't cost you as much as £400 for food, petrol, B+B etc.

And, if your not stuck to a "plan" you can do it when it's not peeing down, like the last 2 have been...
  • brady10
    brady10 Posts: 195
    Hi there, yeaaa im 17 atm, 18 in a few months, and i've paid my entry in for the trans wales 2010=) I agree the pricing's a bit steep, but tbh i cant wait till august 14th now=)
    WOW really? Carbon Fibre Hubs?? Well how about chucking that kebab in the bin?
  • brady10
    And "fairymonk" im new too this forum thing too=D haha. And i'll be entering as a solo male, ive done a bit of singletrack, xc, odd dh. Ive got a pretty basic aluminium hardtail frame, but ive scrapped all the factory parts and have upgraded; Avid Juicy Hyd Discs, Shimano XT Derailleurs,oh and some steve peaty grips that look the sexx;) just need some new forks now=)
  • Well its good to hear at least somebody's doing it! I'm on the cusp of paying my entry fee, it is expensive, but to me its worth it for the experience. Going to be doing much multiday riding in prep brady10?
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    Errr - I think it's pretty good value actually. Compared to the Trans Alps/ Cape Epic etc it is cheap! That said you don't get the luxury of the Epic but you pays your money......

There is little or no difference doing it solo or as a team - you ride the same distance overall, you MIGHT "race" a little less distance as a team but that said the special stages are optional anyway - you can do as many or as few as you like. You will find that you will get a lot of support from fellow riders along the way.

Personally I think its a great event, lots of camaraderie, excellent riding, good scenery. For me the "natural" stuff on the linking stages far outstrips the trail centre stuff.

My wife and I have ridden the last three of these. Last year was going to be our last but we enjoyed it so much we will very likely be back there again this year.

If you want any more specifics feel free to PM me.
  • brady10
    Fairymonk -

Ahhhh go on, give in and pay the fee=D Urmmm training wise and keeping fit, i'll be doing two day rides occasionly. But my main fitness training, is my rowing, so that will keep me in shape=) I'm going in for the "sleepless in the saddle" enduro and the "TORQ in your sleep" enduro, both either side of the trans wales=)

Clanton -

Ah you sound like quite the veteran=) IF you keep coming back to re-compete, it must be a good event=) What does everyone tend to do at night? Just swap stories of the days riding?
  • clanton
    Sleep! ;-)
    Well, they're fairly full on days, by the time you've cleaned yourself and your bike, got yourself sorted out for the next day, got the tent up and got yourself fed there's not a whole lot of spare time. About half the nights are close enough to a town to wander off to the pub for a pint or two - riders have been known to stop for a pint before finishing the day's riding! Not that we'd do that of course ;-)

My top tip - take a little three legged stool, small enough to fit in the bag they supply and great for sitting on in the campsite etc.
  • brady10
    Sleep..............sounds good=D Ha, Yeeaaa i read an article on it in MTBUK, people nipping off for pints! !

Ah i like your top tip. what you say is ideal to pack in the backpack you keep with you during the stage??

A mini kit list would be ideal=)

And in the previous events, has there been many young people taking part?
  • clanton
    I tend to take much the same as I would on any long day ride. Probably too much really but I like to be self sufficient. The racing snake types carry very little, frequently going without a camelback.

So:
    Tyre leves, spare tube, emergency patches.
    Multitool
    cable ties
    small amount of duct tape
    Toothpaste tubing to use as tyre boot
    Chain breaker and power link
    Pump
    spare brake pads (1 set)
    waterproof jacket if it seems needed
    emergency blanket
    energy gels/bars

I don't have a spare mech hanger as I have a steel frame but this I would say is essential - the mechanics will have most spares but won't carry every type of mech hanger out there so make sure you have the one for your bike.

One other thing, some newspaper is great for stuffing in your shoes at the end of the day so they are not quite so waterlogged the next morning.

I've probably got last year's packing list saved somewhere. If you want it pm me your email addy.
  • cgarossi
    cgarossi Posts: 729
    Hi there. I want to do this too. Im a 33 year old male. I thought about doing the 24 hour Mountain Mayhem but I think this would be more fun.

I have a friend interested too. This would also be my first MTB event despite being a mountain biker since I was in my teens.

My e-mail/MSN is OldSkoolHC92@hotmail.com .Add me if you like, I need some convincing to do this lol :)
  • .... 3 years in a run, must be good!

Clayton - is the field very spread out as I am certainly not a racer, are there many people in it for the ride not just for the podium?

Go on Cigarossi, the more the merrier!

The words 'pub' and 'beer' have pretty much sealed it for me...
  • clanton
    Fairymonk there are a wide range of people from all walks of life and a huge range of abilties. There are plenty who are there just to finish and enjoy themselves. Because the "racing" stages are short the rest of the riding is done at a moderate pace, not super relaxed but certainly not racepace, with lots of banter and general fun. You do need to be of a decent fitness to enjoy it, the fitter the better obviously but it is within reach of most people to complete the course with some reasonable training.
  • Well I've entered!! Thanks for the encouragement/advice I'm dead excited :D
  • brady10
    Whaeeeyy, Hope to see ya there=) Im dead excited too!!!