upgrading v-brakes

jpstar
jpstar Posts: 561
edited January 2010 in MTB general
Need to up the power my v-brakes are giving out, got some money to spend but not huge amounts and no disc mounts. So where does all the power in v-brakes lie? And what is better to upgrade for improved wet weather braking? Pads, the arms or the levers? Seen some deore arms on wiggle for £8 each, some Avid FR 5 levers for around £15 for a pair and koolstop pads for £8 a pair which get good ratings, but where would I find the most improvement in braking? pads levers or arms?

Thanks
Joe

Comments

• stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Pads will make a difference both to overall stopping power and wet weather performance. You may also find a brake booster on the rear could help. On my old hardtail squeezing the brakes pushed the seatstays out. Something like this:

9447.jpg.

Next thing to consider will be the brake arms, again if they flex you'll be losing power. I run LX V's on my old hardtail, they're powerful enough to lock the wheels.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • jpstar
    jpstar Posts: 561
    stumpyjon
    Cheers for that, any pads you could recommend?
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Sorry, not great with pads, have a look on CRC, they're customer ratings are usually pretty helpful.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • although i dont have them on my current ride (yet) on my gt i had a few years back i swopped my standard lx pads for the xt/xtr cartridge type pads and the difference was very suprising :D dont get me wrong a set of these with the inserts are exspensive (for what they are) but worth it IMO

depending on your budget you could also change from the normal v brake arms to xt/xtr as the way they apply the pad to the rim is slightly different (double hinge) and gives u alot stronger braking (also had a set of these at 1 stage in the past) 1 day i mite move with the times and gets discs :roll: ................. 1 day!!
    CUBE ltd 2012,reba sl, XT, saint, DMR, spank, current xc/am ride

GIANT boulder, marzzochi EXR, LX/alivio, DMR, spank, retro build
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    jpstar: XTR V-brakes with severe condition pads are what you're looking for.
  • Belv
    Belv Posts: 866
    XTR cartridge pads are the best V-brake pads i have used.

Look at the whole bike - check wheels are true, pads are correctly toed-in and I found that changing cables was noticeable too. It might not increase power but having everything as-good-as-new will let you get the most out of what you already have.