Destroyed my rear derailleur

Trev71
Trev71 Posts: 46
edited January 2010 in The workshop
I am hoping for some advice about running singlespeed as an emergency measure.

On the way home tonight, I had a bit of a mishap with the ice and ended up having my rear derailleur snapped in two. :cry:

I was wondering if it is possible to shorten the chain and run on the middle chainring & sprocket until I have received a new derailleur from the nice people at Chain Reaction Cycles?

Also, my gear hanger looks like it is slightly bent. Is it possible to straighten this with the aid of a hammer, or am i just better off getting a new one of those as well?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Trev

Comments

• You should be fine shortening the chain. Check by eye (laser pointer helps, if you have one) to see which combo of rear sprocket lines up best with your middle chainring. And when you put the chain back as it was, make sure you're not causing a potential snappage spot with the re-joined rivets.

As for the hanger - bending it back is a second stressing of it; could well weaken it more. Go safe, get a new one. I've had a derailleur leap into my spokes, it's a great constipation cure but not fun.
    Litespeed Tuscany, Hope/Open Pro, Ultegra, pulling an Extrawheel trailer, often as not.

FCR 4 (I think?)
    Twitter: @jimjmcdonnell
  • If it's a steel frame then it should be fine to bend the hanger back. Alu / CF / Ti frames should have a replaceable hanger, best to get a new one if this is the case.
    <a>road</a>