looking for lbs in burnley area?

liveforever1982
liveforever1982 Posts: 78
edited January 2010 in MTB beginners
hello,fairly new to burnley,and due to my terrago disc '08 being nicked,i need a new bike and also a place local to me for servicing etc etc.can any one help? cheers gaz

Comments

• stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Ok in Burnley you've got On Yer bike, alright but don't personally use em much. My recommendation would be pop down to Rawtenstall and go to Ride On. They are very good, Craig the owner, used to race, designs his own frames and is really active in the local mountain bike scene (used to write the workshop advice section in MBR).

Good for servicing too, Andy their head mechanic can fix pretty much anything. They've also done small jobs for me for nowt in the past (espcially if I buy something at the same time) and if you become a regular you get an automatic 10% discount without asking. They're a proper independant LBS, the sort which will give you proper after sales service.

Link to their website here.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • thanks for that, what about the one in padiham,anyone had experience there?
  • NDawn
    NDawn Posts: 238
    Padiham one is great, Eric Burgess isn't it, always had great service there. My dad has been going there exclusively for many years, they always give good advice and good support.
  • Blazing Saddles in Hebden Bridge isn't too far away. Always seem helpful whenever I've been in.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    If you're prepared to travel a bit further afield, there's Leisure Lakes in Bury and All Terrain Shipley within an hour's drive.

I actually fell out with Leisure Lakes a while ago but some people swear by them, but I use All Terrain regularly.

As for servicing and maintenance, it isn't exactly hard to do yourself. There are only one or two jobs that are a black art and/or require expensive special tools, but the rest you can pick up easily as you go along and build up your tool collection as you go.

A good quality, basic tool kit will enable you to do most routine jobs fairly easily.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • cheers guys,not been anywhere at the moment due to the weather but i work in bury so will maybe pop into that one dave,also on yer bike is only a 5 min walk from my house.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Leisure Lakes is OK but service is a bit hit or miss. I bought my first proper bike from them but I don't go back very often. Not the sort of shop that will remember you. I also hate the fact they are upstairs above Iceland and you have to pay to park in their carpark.

If you work in Bury and Live in Burnley Ride On is ideal, halfway between the two.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • I would not go anywhere near Leisrure Lakes at Bury's workshop. I've had some really poor service from them. PM me if you want the gorey details!
  • For repairs, I like this really little shop in Nelson called Ossies.
    Not a fan of On Yer Bike tbh...
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    You could also try Foxs cycles in Colne.. they are just off the main high street. Nice lads who seem to know their stuff... and fairly reasonably priced as well. Blazings in Hebden are good but a bit pricey.

Foxs cycles location

http://tinyurl.com/ydqzsbp
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    BenChaffer wrote:
    For repairs, I like this really little shop in Nelson called Ossies.

Proper old-school is Ossies, innit? Not a big fan of OYB either, I think they're a bunch of ignorant buggers.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • dave_hill wrote:
    BenChaffer wrote:
    For repairs, I like this really little shop in Nelson called Ossies.

Proper old-school is Ossies, innit? Not a big fan of OYB either, I think they're a bunch of ignorant buggers.

+1.

i really don't like going there either but as i stupidly bought my scott from there and they are the only scott dealers i have to go there. i had my rear shock serviced, they quoted me £95, it actually was £130. they charged me to undo 2 bolts even tho they said they wouldn't. they are very very rude and ignorant, totally unhelpful. it's like they are doing me a big favour by letting me spend money there.

+1 for ride on but they don't / can't carry a lot of stock but will always try there best. don't worry about andy's gruff demeanor it just natural..lol
    Cotic Soul rider.
  • Markmjh
    Markmjh Posts: 415
    Had good and bad with On Ya Bike tbh.
    Got them to do some work on mine and they did an ok job. Called them a few weeks later to order a set of the Pink Hopes for my Girlfriend to be told that Hope don't do them anymore. When i explained they have one on display, response i got was it must be an old display item that they can not sell because Hope stopped doing them a couple of years ago!
    Went to Ewood Cycles in Blackburn after that. Bit of an old shop and don't carry too much higher end stock. But the guys are really nice, know what they are doing and will order in anything you want.
    Ride Crash Ride Again
  • Seeing as you work in Bury: DJ Cycles in Holcombe Brook (between Bury and Ramsbottom, at the foot of Holcombe Hill) http://www.djcyclesuk.com/
  • stumpyjon wrote:
    Ok in Burnley you've got On Yer bike, alright but don't personally use em much. My recommendation would be pop down to Rawtenstall and go to Ride On. They are very good, Craig the owner, used to race, designs his own frames and is really active in the local mountain bike scene (used to write the workshop advice section in MBR).

Good for servicing too, Andy their head mechanic can fix pretty much anything. They've also done small jobs for me for nowt in the past (espcially if I buy something at the same time) and if you become a regular you get an automatic 10% discount without asking. They're a proper independant LBS, the sort which will give you proper after sales service.

Link to their website here.
    recomend rideon, they have good mechanics, andy is good and ant, they all ride and no crap
    anthem x with many upgrades