What do you have in your saddle bag?

mark1989
mark1989 Posts: 4
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
I've got a Ortlieb Mud Racer Small Saddle Bag from wiggle for just over £20, trying to work out what to fill it with.

guessing an innertube, small multitool, £10 incase I need a beer on route anytime and a cliff bar.

Any other good ideas?

Mark1989

Comments

• Mobile phone, unless it's in your pocket already, and a credit card... not just for funds, but for ID.

Also CO2, CO2 adapter, tyre levers. I now carry 2 tubes, thanks to that pesky fairy...
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Tyre Levers
    Multitool
    CO2 inflator
    Puncture repair kit
    Montane Featherlite Jacket

Think that's it.
  • On the nice bike;

spare tube
    glueless patches
    co2 cannisters *2
    tyre levers * 3
    debit card
    cash
    multitool thing

tend to carry my phone in a jersey/jacket pocket.

I've got a massive saddlebag on the hack which doubles up as a mudguard and can fit all manner of things in it. I bought it to replace having to have a rucksack but since I've got a laptop with me more often than not on my commute it is somewhat redundant in that regard now. It's an Ortlieb something IIRC.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    1 poss 2 ready mixed gin & tonics and perhaps a small hip flask of brandy, just in case.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    and a credit card... not just for funds, but for ID.
    I always carried emergency cash, never thought to carry a credit card so it could also be used for ID.
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    In town I usually ride sans saddle bag unless on the commute when I (used to) carry tube, tyre levers, multi-tool, tyre boots (to repair big cuts), puncture kit. When I head out on longer rides I add phone, some cash and a card - for much the same reason as LiT. Sometimes strap my little pump to it too, but that tends to look very naff indeed.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    Multi tool
    Puncture kit
    head lamp torch
    packet of mints
    spare rear light
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Multitool
    Tyre levers
    Spare tubes
    Pump
    Mobile phone
  • Mikelyons
    Mikelyons Posts: 154
    Multitool
    2 Tyre levers
    2 Spare tubes & mini repair kit
    pair of disposable gloves & a few squares of kitchen tissue
    which also helps prevent all of the rest from rattling.

Keys (if I don't have any other bag with me)
  • itboffin wrote:
    1 poss 2 ready mixed gin & tonics and perhaps a small hip flask of brandy, just in case.

You forgot to mention a dozen innertubes... :)

Personally - only 2 or 3 CO2 cannisters, pump, patches, tyre boot, mini tool, tyre levers, spoke key, wet-wipes, latex gloves, 2 tubes, lip-stick, phone, cash, credit card, keys, cable tie. I keep meaning to add a couple of spare cleat screws, having recently been very grateful that CJCP had some with him.
  • itboffin wrote:

You forgot to mention a dozen innertubes... :)

Personally - only 2 or 3 CO2 cannisters, pump, patches, tyre boot, mini tool, tyre levers, spoke key, wet-wipes, latex gloves, 2 tubes, lip-stick, phone, cash, credit card, keys, cable tie. I keep meaning to add a couple of spare cleat screws, having recently been very grateful that CJCP had some with him.

:lol:

sly...
  • Just a spare tube and some levers for me!
    Mind you, I can't fit anything else in there.

dcefd913-65bf-d230-47b5-35e1880fbc1e.jpg
    Reading the thread, I'm now thinking I might be better off with a somewhat larger saddle bag... but most seem to look - well, certainly not gay like the poll suggests, but still... a bit peripheral...
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    yes yes I carry three tubes and four c02, patches & a pump so WHAT!!! :evil:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    I went looking in mine for something tonight. I hadn't realised there was so much stuff in there...

Two multi-tools - the standard allen keys/chain tool one, and a tiny one with mini-pliers and a knife for getting flints out of tyres
    Thin cellophane gloves for unshipped chain and that sort of thing
    Tyre levers (even tho the multi tool has some too)
    Puncture repair kit
    Cable ties (finally found an emergency use for them! a pannier rack bolt disappeared on my last ride)
    Spare inner tube
    NBT2 cassette lockring remover
    Spare KMC chain link
    Mini adjustable wrench
    Spare batteries for lights
    Interchangeable lenses for my cycling glasses

And that's just the basic always-there kit. This lot gets added for proper rides...

Money & debit card
    Mobile phone
    Inhalers - for asthma, and on bad days, hayfever
    Eye drops
    House keys

No wonder I ride so slowly.
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Even though I voted no, I do think this looks pretty questionable.....
    hinode11.jpg:lol:
  • I have just invested in one of these for my commute

http://www.carradice.co.uk/saddlebags/p ... ebag.shtml

Can get in a lunchbox, spare tubes, multitool, keys, wallet and phone with a bit of room to spare.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Even though I voted no, I do think this looks pretty questionable.....
    hinode11.jpg:lol:

That is a lovely looking bike though!!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • tube, C02, multitool, cash. Usually in jersey pockets but if it's one of those pack a gilet/armwarmers/food/gels ride then it all goes in a wee saddle pack.
  • I agonised over selecting the right size of "under saddle" pack and ended up with Medium otherwise I’d have probably packed half my tool kit.

I seem to pack a similar bunch of stuff to others here, but I would add a small flat blade “jewellers screwdriver” to dig bits of glass out of tyres.

I carry a SRAM power link but not sure what I’d do with it in the field!
    I ache, therefore I am.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Multitool
    Tyre levers
    Spare tube
    Repair kit
    Allen keys
    Small pump attached underneath
    Pen
    £5/£10 note
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Bugly
    Bugly Posts: 520
    Always on the bike - contents are spare tube, patches, multitool with tyre levers, some cash. I slip the phone in and ID when leving the house.

I dont like phones in the pocket as its usually hot and I am sweaty and the phone doesnt like to be wet and salty.
  • Wallace1492
    Agent57 wrote:
    Multitool
    Tyre levers
    Spare tube
    Repair kit
    Allen keys
    Small pump attached underneath
    Pen
    £5/£10 note

Glad you qualified it as a £5 or £10 note, and not £5/£10 of coppers. :P

Edit: I still have a couple of 10p pieces in my old punct*re repair kit, just in case I need to use a payphone.
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    I'm just about to add a snow shovel and a 20kg bag of grit to my saddle bag. Would that affect the handling and balance of the bike. :lol:
  • Lycra Man
    Lycra Man Posts: 141
    I have a Peak2Creek Pioneer rack bag, so I normally carry 2 spare tubes, head torch, tyre levers, chain splitter, adjustable spanner (front wheel does not have QR skewer because it has a dyno hub), cable ties, puncture repair kit, latex gloves, spare batteries, and multitool. These are in the side and rear pockets. Inside I can accomodate a loaf of bread, bottle of wine, Ron Hill High Viz rain jacket, spare gloves, kitchen sink and fluffy kitten.
    Oh and its expandable, if I go for a second loaf of bread.
    But then I like to be on the safe side.

To the poll question - do you mean does the bike look gay, or the rider look gay? Or did you mean unattractive rather than homosexual?

Lycra Man
    FCN7 - 1 for SPDs = FCN6
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I don't really have one at the moment but I carry in pockets or rack bag type affair
    2 tubes
    multitool
    puncture repait kit
    latex gloves
    tyre levers

I think that's it. I usually stick my phone in my pocket because it got scratched by my keys in the past.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Brindy
    Brindy Posts: 45
    why do you guys carry so much all you need is a tube ,co2 , tyre levels, keys and a phone. What the point in having a 3k bike if you have 1kg saddle bag on the back
  • Bugly wrote:
    I dont like phones in the pocket as its usually hot and I am sweaty and the phone doesnt like to be wet and salty.

Sealable freezer food bag does the job (about a quid for 30), replace it once a month before it wears through. Scratch / jolt / moisture free phone carrying.
  • Wallace1492
    Bugly wrote:

Sealable freezer food bag does the job (about a quid for 30), replace it once a month before it wears through. Scratch / jolt / moisture free phone carrying.

Dont carry a mobile phone - a modern abomination of a device - carry a couple of shiny tuppences for the nearest red phone box.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Brindy wrote:
    why do you guys carry so much all you need is a tube ,co2 , tyre levels, keys and a phone. What the point in having a 3k bike if you have 1kg saddle bag on the back

My bike was cheap and I only ride to work. 8)
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Wallace1492
    prawny wrote:
    Brindy wrote:

My bike was cheap and I only work to ride. 8)

Fixed that for you!! :)