Flandis to go for the hour

timoid.
timoid. Posts: 3,133
edited January 2010 in Pro race
According to his Twitter.

http://twitter.com/TheRealFloydL

Surely he's too washed up for this?
It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Timoid. wrote:

On a bad day, old washed up Floyd could outride mostly everyone on this forum.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    dennisn wrote:

You may be horrified to learn that nobody from this forum would consider going for the hour...
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    dennisn wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:

On a good day, pre-washed up, dirty old Floyd couldn't get within 5Km of the hour record.

Which is more to the point.

Strava is not Zen.
  • dennisn
    calvjones wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:

On a good day, pre-washed up, dirty old Floyd couldn't get within 5Km of the hour record.

And I'm betting you couldn't get within 10k of it. So take that.
    How washed up are you?? :wink::wink:
  • iainf72 wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

You may be horrified to learn that nobody from this forum would consider going for the hour...

I dunno. I'd consider going for the happy one.
    Notice Dennis left himself out of his "snipe".
    He's a cunning old linguist.

Big difference in going for the record an actually getting anywhere near it.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Well Dennis, do you believe that Floyd was the victim of a French conspiracy? Careful now, you might have to get on one side of that fence you sit on! As for the hour record - he hasn't got a chance.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Whatever Flandis manages, I'll put out 12 watts more than him.

So, if he gets the record I'll know deep down that it's technically mine.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    PR stunt? Even in his best days under the tutelage of Dr Ferrari he was a bit of a diesel and whilst good at TTs, not outstanding.
  • dennisn wrote:
    calvjones wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:

I'm not in the same class as Landis, I'd get nowhere near teh Hour record, but then i'm not publically telling the world I will either.

I like NapDs way of thinking, I once beat Hutch in the national HC champs, he failed at the hour, so i'm bound to have a decent shot. :lol:
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • calvjones
    dennisn wrote:
    calvjones wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:

Very. Oh, so very....

Strava is not Zen.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    All Floyd said is that he is considering going for the hour record.

I'm considering going for it myself, shortly after my record- breaking ascent of Alpe D'Huez. Which I'm also considering.

The one thing this offers Floyd is a high level of press exposure - at least up to the point where it all comes crashing down after 50 minutes. He wouldn't get the same exposure for finishing down the field in domestic races.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • dennisn
    LangerDan wrote:

The one thing this offers Floyd is a high level of press exposure - at least up to the point where it all comes crashing down after 50 minutes. He wouldn't get the same exposure for finishing down the field in domestic races.

Couldn't agree more. Although I wouldn't bet against a TDF winner(for a while anyway)
    who decided to set his mind on a single path(the hour) and then gave it all he has. That he is /was a very capable bike rider is not in doubt. At least not in my mind. Sure, it may come crashing down around him in 50 minutes, but in that 50 minutes he will still go bunches further than the rest of us can even dream of.
  • dennisn
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Well Dennis, do you believe that Floyd was the victim of a French conspiracy?

Nope, not at all. Although I do love a good conspiracy theory. Big money bike race, sleazy riders AND doctors, the "French"(although I'm not sure why they get included in all this, all the time), WADA, and maybe even "The Mob". Lots of conspiracy fodder there.
  • dennisn
    iainf72 wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

A few years back, when I was a bit more involved with our local racing club, it was always in the back of my mind to RENT one of the local car race tracks(one mile) for the day and put on an hour thing. Planned to run four riders at a time, starting at 1/4 points along the track, every hour and 15 minutes. Rent for the track was doable and there was more than enough interest from local riders and triathletes to cover expenses. Whole thing sort of fell apart in trying to get enough people to help out(count laps, etc.). Am now thinking about how I could use some of the electronic lap counting systems out there to help pull this off. All at reasonable expense, of course.
  • LangerDan
    dennisn wrote:
    [
    Couldn't agree more. Although I wouldn't bet against a TDF winner(for a while anyway)
    who decided to set his mind on a single path(the hour) and then gave it all he has
    . That he is /was a very capable bike rider is not in doubt. At least not in my mind. Sure, it may come crashing down around him in 50 minutes, but in that 50 minutes he will still go bunches further than the rest of us can even dream of.

So he wasn't giving all the other aspects of his comeback "all he has"? Perhaps you're right. He's been a fairly average rider since his return, even by domestic standards. It was probably just because he couldn't be @rsed.

Is he better than me? Yup but so what. Everyone who has a higher class racing licence than me is beter than me, but it doesn't mean they should go for the hour record.

BTW,I'll take your "within 10K" bet if you wish, (but you get to pay for the velodrome hire. Bordeaux would be nice.)
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    LangerDan wrote:

I'm considering going for it myself, shortly after my record- breaking ascent of Alpe D'Huez. Which I'm also considering.

Lol in agreement.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,477

I like NapDs way of thinking, I once beat Hutch in the national HC champs, he failed at the hour, so i'm bound to have a decent shot. :lol:

I once beat Chris Boardman*. By your logic I'm a former hour record holder. Maybe I should consider going for it too? :wink:

*in a pub quiz
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Well I beat Chris' dad - who must have beat Chris at some point - but even so - I'm not considering the hour.

Flandis has done bugger all that I can think of since his dirty tour. Its not the best pedigree for it is it ?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Flandis won the TT in the Tour of the Bahamas yesterday.

On a road bike. With clinchers. And no skin suit.

Beating the record held by Dave Z.

Riding for Rock Racing.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • dennisn
    iainf72 wrote:

Riding for Rock Racing.

Now, that's interesting.
  • LangerDan
    On further investigation, not very. The TT is a 3 mile prologue that everyone rides on road bikes, not just Pretty Boy Floyd - aero bars, bikes, helmets are all prohibited. The field isn't exactly stellar either:
    http://www.bikereg.com/events/ConfList.asp?EventID=9521

Is Floyd just doing a bit racing while on holidays or is he reduced to pot-hunting small-town races?
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    dennisn wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Riding for Rock Racing.

Now, that's interesting.

Indeed. I didn't know there was a Tour of the Bahamas either!

LangerDan - the first 5 or 6 minutes of the hour record just happens to be 3 miles long, what more evidence do you need? Once he has the first 3 nailed down, he can start working on the other thirty-odd.
  • afx237vi wrote:

Indeed. I didn't know there was a Tour of the Bahamas either!

http://www.tourofthebahamas.com/tourofthebahamas/
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    According to that start list - he's entered it twice. Is he setting himself up so he can use Tylers 'twin' excuse ?
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    if you took the strongest 60 riders on this forum, told each of them to ride for 1 minute full gas, they'd still lose to Landis.

Was at a training camp in '06 when Ferrari was running a 53x12 camp. Danielson was there. For a lactacte test Ferrari told him to ride up the Colobra, in his big ring, on a fricken TT bike, complete with rear disc.

His speed was mind blowing. BTW he stood up 50% of the time. From his face the man was working waay out of his comfort zone. Incredible stuff to see.

Do you guys have any concept of the power of these dudes?

And before you blast Landis for being dirty - you may as well blast all the sorry Brits, Wiggo and Miller among them, who doff their helmets to dirty dead drug riddled Simpson's Ventoux shrine. Please put the brakes on any jingoistic hypocrisy.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    FransJacques, you're raising a similar point to Dave_1 has made on here before. No one's really saying the likes of Landis lack talent.

Instead, people are put off by his cheating and his lies. All those lame "Save Flloyd" t-shirts, the guy still can't admit what happened. Maybe he'll write a book one day and spill the beans.

I too find the reverence of Simpson a bit hypocritical, yes but then Simpson was necking cognac and amphetamines. That's something that a factory worker or truck driver might have done in the 1960s, after all you could buy amphetamine "pep pills" in pharmacies (without a prescription) then and it's something the public understood and tolerated. Today's sports fans won't accept international blood banking or the use of copycat Russian erythropoietin. The difference might be subtle but it's also huge, no?
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949

And before you blast Landis for being dirty - you may as well blast all the sorry Brits, Wiggo and Miller among them, who doff their helmets to dirty dead drug riddled Simpson's Ventoux shrine. Please put the brakes on any jingoistic hypocrisy.

Just for completeness I'll add Anquetil, Thevenet, Hinault and Fignon. I respect all of them too but still have none for Landis. If that's OK with you?
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • dennisn
    Kléber wrote:
    FransJacques, you're raising a similar point to Dave_1 has made on here before. No one's really saying the likes of Landis lack talent.

Instead, people are put off by his cheating and his lies. All those lame "Save Flloyd" t-shirts, the guy still can't admit what happened. Maybe he'll write a book one day and spill the beans.

I too find the reverence of Simpson a bit hypocritical, yes but then Simpson was necking cognac and amphetamines. That's something that a factory worker or truck driver might have done in the 1960s, after all you could buy amphetamine "pep pills" in pharmacies (without a prescription) then and it's something the public understood and tolerated. Today's sports fans won't accept international blood banking or the use of copycat Russian erythropoietin. The difference might be subtle but it's also huge, no?

I don't know for a fact what "today's sports fans" will or won't accept or whether the vast majority care or don't care. I do know that the "media" has jumped on this thing "big time" and they will push it until people just get tired of reading about it. Then they will move on to the next big thing. In all seriousness I simply don't believe that "the media"
    really cares about news or truth. It's all about what sells. How many times have you heard a newscaster say "people are outraged" or something to that effect. When I hear that I always find myself asking "who are these people who are outraged?", yet in asking around I never seem to find them. So when I hear that "people" are outraged by doping
    who could blame me for thinking maybe this isn't quite true? Always makes me wonder why the media thinks that they know what you think. If you follow my meaning? Or are they trying to tell you what to think to push whatever agenda they have?
  • calvjones
    Dennis, do you have shares in an apostrophe factory?

Strava is not Zen.
  • dennisn
    calvjones wrote:
    Dennis, do you have shares in an apostrophe factory?

Hmmmmmm. You make a good "point". I'll have to "watch" it from now on. :oops: :oops: