winter bike

NGale
NGale Posts: 1,866
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
My commute on the bike has once again been written off by the icy conditions, the route I take it would just be too dangrous.

so I'm looking for a cheap winter commuting hack, new or second hand. The Subway is becoming a realistic choice for me at the moment although I do want to avoid Halfords as much as possible but will go there if need be.

My route to work is cycle paths, but get very icy and I wouldn't mind something which stands up to some track riding (my current Trek FX dosen't stand up to track riding)

I would consider an MTB, but I don't like bikes which are too heavy

Ta :D
Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men

Comments

• hello.
    I have a Cannondale Optimo for sale. Light and fast
    Ultra Fatty headshock
    SLX brakes shifters - taps like a road set up
    XT rear mech
    RaceFace crankset
    slicks and Mountian Kings provided.

Great condition, apart from scratches on top tube.
    As said, very fast and light. I use it on my commute. Feels as tight and responsive as my road bike
    Looking for £450 + postage
    Will provide full spec and photos if interested
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    NGale wrote:
    My commute on the bike has once again been written off by the icy conditions, the route I take it would just be too dangrous.

so I'm looking for a cheap winter commuting hack, new or second hand. The Subway is becoming a realistic choice for me at the moment although I do want to avoid Halfords as much as possible but will go there if need be.

My route to work is cycle paths, but get very icy and I wouldn't mind something which stands up to some track riding (my current Trek FX dosen't stand up to track riding)

Tempted to get a subway myself tbh. I love my modified Jake but this is getting silly. No busses either this morning
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Cross bike, cross bike, cross bike..... Do it!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • NGale
    itboffin wrote:
    Cross bike, cross bike, cross bike..... Do it!

I have to admit I have been looking at a Kona Jake, but price is scaring me a bit.
  • Genesis Croix de Fer now it has steel forks, good looking jack of all trades.
  • Belv
    Belv Posts: 866
    itboffin wrote:
    Cross bike, cross bike, cross bike.....
    Mine was furious this morning.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    NGale wrote:

You can get reasonably light ones - an alloy framed hardtail shouldn't be too heavy. I'd recommend going for an mtb - I find the chunkiness of my mtb ideal in bad weather but I use it all year round on the commute (much better ride - even my 28mm tyred touring bike is harsh on Leeds roads). Great thing is though that at the weekend, if the weather is still crap, you can just put knobblies on it and go for a play at a trail centre or hit the hills. MTb'ing improves your strength in ways road cycling doesn't but which still really help you on the roads.

Maybe go to a trail centre, hire a bike and see how you get on with it?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • chrisdf
    chrisdf Posts: 21
    ktrak-skibike.jpg

One of these?
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    chrisdf wrote:
    ktrak-skibike.jpg

One of these?
    Where can I find one. Since the snow doesn't seem to be thawing anytime soon.
  • topbikesdayonedrop.jpg

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/cro ... /overview/

Makes sense... :D As long as you don't have too many hills.
  • I do like that!

Was looking at a Paddy Wagon but that has it beat on looks if nothing else.
  • NGale
    topbikesdayonedrop.jpg

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/cro ... /overview/

Makes sense... :D As long as you don't have too many hills.

You've never been to Exeter then...the city is one big fecking hill :lol:

have to admit I am tempted by that one :D
  • NGale
    I have been doing a little looking around and spotted one of these on one of my LBSs today and I am rather taken with it

http://www.chargebikes.com/products/bikes/detail2.php?id=11

I am now stuck between the choice of a Kona Jake and the Charge Plug
  • itboffin
    NGale wrote:
    I have been doing a little looking around and spotted one of these on one of my LBSs today and I am rather taken with it

Nice but the charge weighs a ton and unless you live somewhere pan flat it's not going to be fun, winter bikes really should be old so you don't mind when you crash :lol:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • NGale
    itboffin wrote:
    NGale wrote:

Nice but the charge weighs a ton and unless you live somewhere pan flat it's not going to be fun, winter bikes really should be old so you don't mind when you crash :lol:

I have to admit that is my dilema. I don't necessarly mind not being able to cycle to work, as long as I have something I can get out on during my days off just for a jaunt down to the Turf Lock which is on the flat.
  • Rolf F wrote:
    NGale wrote:

You can get reasonably light ones - an alloy framed hardtail shouldn't be too heavy. I'd recommend going for an mtb - I find the chunkiness of my mtb ideal in bad weather but I use it all year round on the commute (much better ride - even my 28mm tyred touring bike is harsh on Leeds roads). Great thing is though that at the weekend, if the weather is still crap, you can just put knobblies on it and go for a play at a trail centre or hit the hills. MTb'ing improves your strength in ways road cycling doesn't but which still really help you on the roads.

Maybe go to a trail centre, hire a bike and see how you get on with it?

+1 I've got a 7 year old Specialized Hard Rock Comp which I bought second-hand about 5 years ago for £120. Really good solid bike and runs nice and smooth - I used it for commuting before I bought my road bike on C2W. I usually have semi-slicks and use it if my road bike is out of action for some reason or if I'll be leaving it somewhere where it isn't secure (might still get nicked - but it wouldn't be as painful to replace).

I didn't fancy riding my road bike in the current snowy/icy conditions so I've put an old pair of nobblies on the MTB and they've worked pretty well in gripping the snow. I've still had a couple of low speed spills on the ice but no damage done to the bike so I just pick it up and keep on going. The nobblies definitely slow me down (the extra drag is quite surprising) but, when I have slicks on it, I don't find the extra weight a pain around town and it doesn't slow me down that much.

Final plus is that I'm happy to put a kid seat on the back for when the 101st Idiot starts school and needs a ride on a morning. I'd probably be too precious about damaging the paint work on my road bike to do that. And handy to have that extra flexibility for a little bit of off-road stuff from time to time.

Only downside is that I bought too large a bike - I'm 5' 9" and it's a 19" frame. It's fine around town but I could do with a little extra "clearance" when the going gets tough and a bit more seatpost exposed would do wonders for the comfort on rougher ground. Maybe I'll keep my eye open on the Bay for a 17" frame (or maybe even a whole bike). MTBs seem better priced second-hand at the moment compared with old road bikes (fixie craze and all that).

So, yeah, an old MTB has mucho flexibility.
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • itboffin
    I was looking at one of those spesh HR today, i'm quite keen on buy one stripping all the parts and replacing with the kit from 'The Beast'