Gilbert on the whereabouts rule

afx237vi
afx237vi Posts: 12,630
edited January 2010 in Pro race
http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/2680/ ... tests.aspx

Very refreshing to see a top rider say this sort of thing.

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    I think he is the 4th highest earning pro behind Contador, Lance and Valverde. Quality rider.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    I agree, I was half-expecting to be let done by a whinge from Gilbert about how hard it is, how unfair it is. But as any Belgian pro knows, if you mess up there are 200 guys hoping for that spot on your team. 2010 should be an interesting season for the Walloon.
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    very professional and good to see. Still the best looking rider on the pro tour :lol:
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • Birillo
    Birillo Posts: 417
    Rides an aluminium bike, too.
  • Dgh
    Dgh Posts: 180
    Top guy. Proven winner, well-known anti-doper. Be great to see him in a rainbow jersey.
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    Nice to see a pro prepared to be vocal and supportive about anti doping measures. I like that Gilbert takes this stance and wins with good grace too
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Awesomely good rider. has such a superb riding style too... and short shorts!
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    To play "The Devils Advocate"( I know, don't I always) I like the response of Olympic
    Skeleton racer Zach Lund. When asked about the whereabouts system he said something to the effect of "how would you like it if you had to report your whereabouts
    to someone every hour of every day". Got to say I wouldn't want to be any part of a system like that.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    dennisn wrote:
    To play "The Devils Advocate"( I know, don't I always) I like the response of Olympic
    Skeleton racer Zach Lund. When asked about the whereabouts system he said something to the effect of "how would you like it if you had to report your whereabouts
    to someone every hour of every day". Got to say I wouldn't want to be any part of a system like that.

Except you don't need to do that. You need to tell them where you'll be for 1 (ONE) hour a day.

So, the question is, why is he telling lies about the requirments?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • afx237vi
    dennisn wrote:

I think millions of people do that every day, Dennis. It's called having a job.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    dennisn wrote:

To be fair to "Olympic skeleton racer Zach Lund," if I was faced with the propect of plummeting down an icy hill, wearing nothing but an oversized condom and having to use my genitalia as brakes, I think I wouldn't want the testers to fined me either - 'cos there's no way I'd do that sober.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    afx237vi wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

O.K., I'll go along with that, but only to a point. Sure my employer wants me here 8-5,
    but doesn't care where after that. I don't have to tell him I'm going to Mexico on vacation,
    what resturant I'm going to, when I'll be home(or away from home). That kind of thing.
    I don't have to inform him that I'm not going to Mexico on vacation , but going skiing in Colorado instead. In other words, I don't have to "check in" everytime i change my mind about going someplace.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    They only have to say where they are going to be for an hour a day don't they?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • afx237vi
    dennisn wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

O.K., I'll go along with that, but only to a point. Sure my employer wants me here 8-5,
    but doesn't care where after that. I don't have to tell him I'm going to Mexico on vacation,
    what resturant I'm going to, when I'll be home(or away from home). That kind of thing.
    I don't have to inform him that I'm not going to Mexico on vacation , but going skiing in Colorado instead. In other words, I don't have to "check in" everytime i change my mind about going someplace.

Maybe you don't, but there are plenty of professions where being on call is part and parcel of the job. I don't think it's that outrageous for athletes to be available in the off season or when they're on vacation. I mean, you'd expect a cyclist to tell his DS where he's going on holiday, why not the testers?

Gilbert says it's only a matter of making one phonecall and it's fixed. It's part of their job... if they really dislike it that much, they could always get a job in the real world and see how that suits them.
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    afx237vi wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

Maybe you don't, but there are plenty of professions where being on call is part and parcel of the job. I don't think it's that outrageous for athletes to be available in the off season or when they're on vacation. I mean, you'd expect a cyclist to tell his DS where he's going on holiday, why not the testers?

Gilbert says it's only a matter of making one phonecall and it's fixed. It's part of their job... if they really dislike it that much, they could always get a job in the real world and see how that suits them.

Exactly! For me any athlete that moans about it shouldn't have chosen to compete at he highest level in the first place. The fight against doping is such a massive task, and each athlete has a responsibility to do their part. One hour? So what. its called being organized. And this is the same reason that when someone manages to miss 3 tests, it just smells too fishy...

i thought the comments that Federer made last year about the program was incredible. Someone of his stature should be for making sport cleaner.
  • That hour can always be first thing in the morning as well. So all you need to know is where you're going to be sleeping - which shouldn't even be beyond the most idiotic.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    GeorgeShaw wrote:
    That hour can always be first thing in the morning as well. So all you need to know is where you're going to be sleeping - which shouldn't even be beyond the most idiotic.

What if you're Tiger Woods? He has no idea whose bed he'll wake up in.
    Twitter: @RichN95