Driving to le Tour

paulcuthbert
paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
edited January 2010 in Pro race
I definitely want to go watch my first Tour de France in July. I'm thinking of being there around the time of either rest days, as they're both in the high mountains (probably the best place to watch, I think) and I want to incorporate some climbing into my trip.

I know the roads are closed for the Tour- so how much time do I need to be there before to get at least to a town near the foot of a big climb, with a car?

Any help or advice from your experiences is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• thomasmc
    thomasmc Posts: 814
    I went to see the last stage in the Alps last year at Le Grand-Bornard which was the finish town at the bottom of the Col De La Colombiere. I parked about 4 or 5km from the town on the morning and cycled into town & then up to the top of the Colombiere. I avoided all the traffic grid lock after the stage which was mental by just cycling past it. If I remember correctly the Police were stopping traffic going up the climb (i.e. in the opposite direction to the race) from around 10am.

I was waiting from about 9am to close to 5pm, no need to be there that early unless you want to get a spot at the very top of the climb but time flies and it was a great experience. You’ll love it!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    You shouldnt have any real problems - if you arent actually using the roads that the tour is racing on - just park up in any village/town/road and ride from there. The problem is if you want to watch the race FROM your car.

On Alpe D'Huez - they usually kick cyclists off the road from a couple of hours before the riders - but it depends on the gendarmes - some let you past - others not.

Great atmosphere - you need to ride the mountains.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    One of the nice things about France and Le Tour is the attitude of the police to parking, so long as you don't block something or park really stupidly they let it go, they are really as helpful as they can be. But they do seem to police the road closing on an individual basis. What's closed at 8AM can suddenly open at 10AM to let through a few tens of cars. But I agree with everyone else, best to park a few Km away and cycle there.

It's an obvious thing when you're there but try to get a spot on the ascent with some switchbacks, that way you get to see the approach and have some time to work out what's coming at you. The downdside is it's what everyone does. Be prepared to stand your ground as the race arrives, everyone sort of charges the road and a decent spot can suddenly be 6 or 8 people deep with you at the back seeing a few flashes of colour. The speed even on 8% to 10% is unreal, it's whoosh and bye bye. Even when the autobus hauls through it puts in stark realisation the idea that sprinters can't climb, to be relative to climbers, if you follow my drift.

If its a decent width mountain road you'll see the French risk life and limb diving between floats for a fridge magnet or sachet of washing powder, they love their caravan freebies. it can seem so dull at times waiting the 6 hours or more for the race to come, but when you hear the helicopter and buzz starts that the leaders are approaching you can't believe the rush, nothing beats being there. Compared to a bar and TV you'll have minimal info and limited comfort, but the sight of Contador, Basso, Cav, da Schlecks and Satan himself (no not the devil bloke, the Texas based one) can't be described, it's awesome and then some. I'm getting a rush just writing this.

As a complete aside I've often wondered about theft of bikes during a mountain stage. On the Col de la Bonette a couple of years ago there must have been several hundred unlocked bikes all strewn on the decent just below the artifical final loop. Can't believe there wasn't some lowlife helping themself.
  • paulcuthbert
    I was planning on leaving the car somewhere behind. I'll probably be going with friends- none of whom are cyclists, and probably wouldn't have interest in the race. They'll be left behind in the village, probably drinking all day- maybe sight-seeing. So I'll do the climb myself from some village in the valley, watch the race, and rejoin them in the valley afterwards.

And after hearing all about it, I really am getting excited! :D

I'm thinking a flight to Geneva, then hiring a car and driving to somewhere near the finish in Morzine, and riding up there.
  • I think your best bet is Morzine if your flying to Geneva (about an hour away by car.) You could park in/just outside the town and then cycle to near the top of the Avoriaz climb. Thousands of other cyclists will be doing this and it makes for a great atmosphere. Just make sure you get to the top of the climb a couple of hours before the Caravan is due through or the police will probably tell you to get off your bike and walk. The tour will go through Morzine so your friends could watch the riders go through the town or walk a mile or so up the Avoriaz climb and watch the riders there. I'm not sure, but they may even be operating the cable cars from Morzine to Avoriaz.

The rest day in Morzine would give you the opportunity to have a go at some of the local climbs (Jeux Plane, Joux Verte, Ramaz, etc). Your friends could spend the day chillin' in the town. The following day the Tour departs from Morzine so your could watch that as well.

I'll be there with my family. Send me a PM if you want any more details.

Do it: you'll love every minute.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    I'd drive to Morzine but then walk up. You might find the police don't want you to ride up and then you'll spend the rest of the day on the mountain waiting for the race. Standing around in lycra and cycling shoes isn't good, nor is having to stash your bike somewhere on the crowded road.

It's much better to be in comfortable clothes, with normal shoes, as well as having a rucksack of food and drink, and possible a blanket to sit on as well as a portable radio and other things. Don't treat a trip to see the Tour as a cycling thing, treat it as a picnic/day out, it works out much better to see the whole afternoon as a spectacle rather than just a bike race.

Use the other days to enjoy the area, you'll love the roads in the area between Morzine and Annecy but don't forget you can ride with the pros on the rest day, they'll be out for a spin to stretch the legs and you can probably tag along for a chat.
  • paulcuthbert
    Kléber wrote:
    don't forget you can ride with the pros on the rest day, they'll be out for a spin to stretch the legs and you can probably tag along for a chat.

That is DEFINITELY part of the plan!

Thanks for all the tips. I was definitely thinking Morzine from Geneva. Looked at flights from London. Pretty cheap!!
  • paulcuthbert
    Just looking roughly at a map... About how long would it take to drive to Bourg d'Oisans from Morzine? I'd love to try the legendary climb of l'Alpe d'Huez in the same trip, but not sure if it's feasible...

As the crow flies (through valley roads, it looks like roughly 100 miles, but I could be totally wrong. Anybody know??
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    Check on AA routeplanner for a route & time to drive.
    It's all possible if you want it enough!
    On one trip to Bourg d'oisans (10 years agp) there was a couple of days of terrible weather,so we had a LONG day trip down to Carpentras,& did the Ventoux,In baking hot conditions.As I said,if you want to do it.....
    Bourg d'oisans is certainly good enough for a touring base in it's own right anyway,as a quick look at the maps will confirm
    so many cols,so little time!
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    It'll take about three hours but personally I'd stay put. The roads in the area around Morzine are stunning, plus they are also very quiet. Alpe d'Huez is famous but it's also a bit ugly and there's lots of traffic going up and down the road.

You'd do better to tackle the Joux Plane, starting from Samoens. This was always Armstrong's most hated climb. It's steep and deceptively so. Be sure to to the Col des Aravis, climbing from Flumet as well as the Colombiere from Scionzier as well.
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    Kléber wrote:
    It'll take about three hours but personally I'd stay put. The roads in the area around Morzine are stunning, plus they are also very quiet. Alpe d'Huez is famous but it's also a bit ugly and there's lots of traffic going up and down the road.

You'd do better to tackle the Joux Plane, starting from Samoens. This was always Armstrong's most hated climb. It's steep and deceptively so. Be sure to to the Col des Aravis, climbing from Flumet as well as the Colombiere from Scionzier as well.

Ramaz is bit of a brute too and not too far away.
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Hey Guys i'm heading to the Tourmalet this summer for both days. Gonna get there a cpl of days before. Anyone know what camping is like in the area or on the mountain?
  • paulcuthbert
    Kléber wrote:

Great, thanks! I just got a message from a good friend who lives in Annecy too- so I might retrace the TT route from 2009 too.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Moomaloid wrote:
    Hey Guys i'm heading to the Tourmalet this summer for both days. Gonna get there a cpl of days before. Anyone know what camping is like in the area or on the mountain?

Went to the Tourmalet last year - had an amazing time. Stayed in an apartment in La Mongie (definitely the town to aim for, it's about 5km from summit) - there were masses of people camping - there's plenty of flat(ish) ground. If there are a few of you, you might be just as well getting an apartment - we stayed in the Maeve La Montana or some such - having car parking in the basement was a real plus as it meant we could drive away and come back and still have a space.

If you want to do other stuff, I can recommend going up in the cable car to Pic du Midi (mountain-top astronomy place) and of course Lourdes.

La Mongie will be absolutely mental this year, I've got a buzz thinking about it. Unfortunately I won't be able to go cos it's midweek and I'll have just got back from the WC in South Africa.

Camper van alley (as we called it) just above La Mongie is mental - motor homes on both sides of the road for what seems ages. Until I started doing the Tour, I had no idea there were so many motor homes in the world!

I think you're wise to get there early - I suspect it'll be a massive 3 day party. Enjoy, wish i was going too.
  • paulcuthbert
    Choppered wrote:
    Unfortunately I won't be able to go cos it's midweek and I'll have just got back from the WC in South Africa..

Oh you're so hard done by... :lol:
  • Anonymous
    Choppered wrote:
    Unfortunately I won't be able to go cos it's midweek and I'll have just got back from the WC in South Africa..

Oh you're so hard done by... :lol:

If we get knocked out early, I might be on the Tourmalet!

Assuming I survive SA and have some money left after the full-on fleecing going on.
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Choppered wrote:
    Moomaloid wrote:

Went to the Tourmalet last year - had an amazing time. Stayed in an apartment in La Mongie (definitely the town to aim for, it's about 5km from summit) - there were masses of people camping - there's plenty of flat(ish) ground. If there are a few of you, you might be just as well getting an apartment - we stayed in the Maeve La Montana or some such - having car parking in the basement was a real plus as it meant we could drive away and come back and still have a space.

If you want to do other stuff, I can recommend going up in the cable car to Pic du Midi (mountain-top astronomy place) and of course Lourdes.

La Mongie will be absolutely mental this year, I've got a buzz thinking about it. Unfortunately I won't be able to go cos it's midweek and I'll have just got back from the WC in South Africa.

Camper van alley (as we called it) just above La Mongie is mental - motor homes on both sides of the road for what seems ages. Until I started doing the Tour, I had no idea there were so many motor homes in the world!

I think you're wise to get there early - I suspect it'll be a massive 3 day party. Enjoy, wish i was going too.

Thanx Choppered thats a big help I looked at a studio apartment in La Mongie, and it seemed really reasonable for 5 days hire. I figured that would be best. But my buddy is keen to camp. We have a van to keep the bikes in, i'm just a bit afraid of security for our bits and pieces i guess. But i can imagine its just proper fans on the mountain so should be cool no?
  • Anonymous
    Moomaloid wrote:
    Choppered wrote:
    Moomaloid wrote:

Thanx Choppered thats a big help I looked at a studio apartment in La Mongie, and it seemed really reasonable for 5 days hire. I figured that would be best. But my buddy is keen to camp. We have a van to keep the bikes in, i'm just a bit afraid of security for our bits and pieces i guess. But i can imagine its just proper fans on the mountain so should be cool no?

I don't know. I'd assume it would be OK, but couldn't guarantee anything.
    The apartment block is almost about 500m up towards the summit from La Mongie and was where the pass was closed the night before (so no need to wlak up mountain to do art)
    http://www.hotels.com/ho220755/residence-maeva-le-montana-pyrenees-ski-france/

Drop me a PM if you want some pics of it all.