Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
Fixed Pista- FCN 5
Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14

Comments

• kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    Is that some sort of clever send up?

I could easily see that article working on Brass Eye or whatever is the equivalent for you young whipper snappers :D
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    A few years ago I was in Newport on the Isle of Wight, stopped to get some cash in the centre of town. There was a sizeable pedestrian island / footpath part in the middle of a junction. As I walked across it, an elderly and seemingly completely pished lady went careering past on her mobility scooter, giggling manically and hanging off one side while swerving between pedestrians.

I was impressed.

When I'm old, I want to be like that

(apart from the lady bit...)

:twisted:
    Misguided Idealist
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Some of those scooter drivers are menaces. They drive around at top speed like they own the pavement and you just better get out the way cause they're coming through.
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Have never had a problem with them tbh. Makes me laugh when some people go nuts in the local paper over it though! I mean full red-blooded rants against them.
  • ichabod
    ichabod Posts: 78
    I was cycling down New Oxford st which was jam packed with busses in both directions. I was cycling down the gap in the middle overtaking the busses when I came face to face with an old lady on a mobility scooter! She was driving it dow a gap barely wide enough for a bike between two lanes of moving busses!
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Kurako wrote:

I could easily see that article working on Brass Eye or whatever is the equivalent for you young whipper snappers :D

It's not but that's my point.. it's the same crass backwards reporting we get against us.. the parallels are obvious I particularly liked this

No official statistics exist for the number of accidents involving the scooters, but there are tales from around the country of old ladies steering into shop windows, mobility scooters trundling along motorways and even people driving off railway platforms.
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • kurako
    I noticed the parallels with anti-cycling articles too. Some folks just love to be furious about something. God knows I had enough professional moaners when I had a summer job in the call centre of a supermarket affiliated bank as a student.

@ _null_ : I think the article was on about OAPs. Neds tanked up on buckie and out for a joy-ride are a totally different problem :lol:
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Kurako wrote:
    I noticed the parallels with anti-cycling articles too. Some folks just love to be furious about something. God knows I had enough professional moaners when I had a summer job in the call centre of a supermarket affiliated bank as a student.

@ _null_ : I think the article was on about OAPs. Neds tanked up on buckie and out for a joy-ride are a totally different problem :lol:
    It is bloody OAPs :evil:
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Kurako wrote:

It's not but that's my point.. it's the same crass backwards reporting we get against us.. the parallels are obvious I particularly liked this

No official statistics exist for the number of accidents involving the scooters, but there are tales from around the country of old ladies steering into shop windows, mobility scooters trundling along motorways and even people driving off railway platforms.

Exactly. Amazing how these moaners all "have a mate who.." and then fill in the gaps with all kinds of nonsense.
  • tomb353
    tomb353 Posts: 196
    they have now been banned from the tyne & wear metro after someone drove through one set of doors, kept going and rammed the set opposite and then crashed out onto the tracks the other side of the train. Of course bicycles have been banned on the metro for years....
    vendor of bicycle baskets & other stuff www.tynebicycle.co.uk
    www.tynebicycle.co.uk/blog
    Kinesis Tripster
    Gazelle NY Cab
    Surly Steamroller
    Cannondale F100

• But the consultation doc specifically says that it doesn't apply to mobility scooters...
  • But the consultation doc specifically says that it doesn't apply to mobility scooters...
    Damn, didn't get to the bottom of page 3 :oops:
  • kurako
    The appendix has examples and they're all Segway type thingies which, frankly, our roads could do without. Douches indeed!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2VJ48ddFMg
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Kurako wrote:
    The appendix has examples and they're all Segway type thingies which, frankly, our roads could do without. Douches indeed!

I know, can you imagine the cheek of these people, travelling at 15mph or so in open, two-wheeled vehicles on public highways! Why I oughta...
  • kurako
    biondino wrote:
    Kurako wrote:

I know, can you imagine the cheek of these people, travelling at 15mph or so in open, two-wheeled vehicles on public highways! Why I oughta...

No. No. I'm serious. If I see one on the road I will pee myself laughing and crash into something. I'm laughing just thinking about the comments on that vid:

"This is fucking gold" and "I'm going to tag them all as Gob Bluth".

You really need to have seen Arrested Development to appreciate it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0367279/
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    For you, Kurako, from my trip to Chicago in 2007:

954215949_fbc1f376d1.jpg

955093464_62d737058f.jpg
  • kurako
    ROFL!!!

Actually there are Segway tours round Leeds Castle grounds but the day I went they were all booked up. I was gutted.