No longer a regular bike commuter

Roastie
Roastie Posts: 1,968
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
Oh, woe is me. Returned to my normal job today. The location dicates that including cycling simply is not economic (stupid rail costs), so I'm car bound for the forseeable future. :(

Fortunately I'll still need to head to my old office a few days a week, but I am already missing it very badly indeed.

Sympathy welcome.

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I'm sorry, but sympathy is reserved for cycling commuters. Please call back when you are one.

:P
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    :cry::cry:

Shedding a few tears (whilst in the warm) on your behalf :wink:

Long weekend rides instead?*

*having received permission from SWMBO
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    You'll find the Road Forum two levels up :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Poor wittle Woastie... alas his pig is well and truly stuffed!
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Same same for Jan and Feb - imminent birth of junior forces car usage!
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Roastie wrote:
    Oh, woe is me. Returned to my normal job today. The location dicates that including cycling simply is not economic (stupid rail costs), so I'm car bound for the forseeable future. :(

Fortunately I'll still need to head to my old office a few days a week, but I am already missing it very badly indeed.

Sympathy welcome.

forgive me for being stupid, but when I took up cycling to work, it meant I did not need to worry about rail fares.
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Roastie
    :) Thanks. (except :P to Kieran)

Spen - my office is 82 miles from home, previous office was just under 40 miles (so I also combined bike with train). As much as I'd love to, cycling the whole way is not a practical option. And sadly due to stupid economics (heavily taxpayer subsidised road infrastructure vs. underfunded national rail infrastructure), it is significantly cheaper for me to use the car. :(

FWIW, for my old office, rail vs car cost wise was pretty much even.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Roastie wrote:
    :) Thanks. (except :P to Kieran)

Spen - my office is 82 miles from home, previous office was just under 40 miles (so I also combined bike with train). As much as I'd love to, cycling the whole way is not a practical option. And sadly due to stupid economics (heavily taxpayer subsidised road infrastructure vs. underfunded national rail infrastructure), it is significantly cheaper for me to use the car. :(

FWIW, for my old office, rail vs car cost wise was pretty much even.
    Why not sling the bike in the car and drive to a cyclable distance away and bike the rest then?

Alternatively MTFU, it's only 82 miles.
  • Roastie
    will3 wrote:
    Why not sling the bike in the car and drive to a cyclable distance away and bike the rest then?
    I've thought about that, but given that it is already a 1:30-2h commute in the car, not sure if I really want to add further complication and time. It is bad enough waking up at 5:45 to get in by 8:30. :(
  • Roastie wrote:
    <snip> Spen - my office is 82 miles from home, previous office was just under 40 miles (so I also combined bike with train). As much as I'd love to, cycling the whole way is not a practical option. <snip>
    Is a drive/cycle combo not an option?

I personally drive to near a rail station (but somewhere free to park) then cycle, so that I can bail out onto the train and back to the car if an emergency arrives.

That this also happens to cut out a final 3 mile hill climb into the North Downs is a total coincidence :oops: .
  • Damn - too slow at typing!
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Roastie wrote:
    I've thought about that, but given that it is already a 1:30-2h commute in the car, not sure if I really want to add further complication and time. It is bad enough waking up at 5:45 to get in by 8:30. :(

Feck. You poor sod! I'd resign rather than face that I think.
  • Roastie
    Working on that. The original plan was that I'd stay working in London, but that fell through. Economic situation and all that. Sucks, but happy to have a job.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Roastie wrote:
    Working on that. The original plan was that I'd stay working in London, but that fell through. Economic situation and all that. Sucks, but happy to have a job.

you can paint my house if you want.. I'll sort you out a good rate
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Roastie wrote:

you can paint my house if you want.. I'll sort you out a good rate

Be careful Roastie... i suspect that is a euphemism.
  • Roastie wrote:

Bad luck, I know how you feel - used to split my time twixt Marlow and the City and looked at all options to see if I could cycle part of the way, including joining a gym in marlow, to which I never went once. Ultimately, cycling only works if its the most effective way of getting to the office and once you've jumped in a car, you may as well stay there.

And no Wogan on the radio either...
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Bad luck, mate. That is a bit of a mental commute. :shock:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Come on man between you and the new office there's a station, cycle / drive FFS I commute six hours in summer four in winter, because I'm nails!

Rarrrrr!

What were we talking about?

Edit: MTFU
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Roastie
    ITB: :shock: :lol:
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Same same for Jan and Feb - imminent birth of junior forces car usage!

Snap!

But I'm not giving up until the 14th, I need the stats miles.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017