Frozen Gears

duncanvale
duncanvale Posts: 18
edited January 2010 in MTB beginners
Whenever i have cycled recently in the cold periods (-5'c - 2'c) i keep finding my front derailleur freezes up. I have not worked out if its the shifter or the mechanism yet. Any ideas other than taking a flask of hot water or peeing on to overcome this. The bike is a FSR XC Pro 2010 with Deore gearing.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Is it oiled? Have you cleaned your bike and not dried it?

Oil has a very low melting point, therefore if its all lubed up, it shouldn't freeze.
    Giant XTC SE 2006
    Cube LTD Race 2009
    Trek Fuel EX 9
  • stomith
    stomith Posts: 332
    Hey stranger :)

Same for us on New Years Day Dunc.... we had 4 bikes sieze up on the exposed section towards Didcot.

I posted asking same question.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... ght=freeze

I took some fotos of the bikes this time as I was quite impressed at how hard the frozen mud can be. Some of it was like weld spatters on the kids bikes which held and would not let go.

I was thinking of greasing the front mechs as it would insulate them to some degree, rather than oil.
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    i went for a ride on new years day with my my dad, and found this happened too, on his bike. It was because mud and water had been sprayed up between the deralieur and the frame and frozen, blocking the derallieur from moving into the bottom cog. We put some water on it and poked it out with a stick, and it was fine.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086
    Thick grease might well keep the wet and soon to be frozen gunk out of the mechanism, but the only real solution is to dump the mechs altogether. Singlespeed it!
  • sh4z77
    sh4z77 Posts: 15
    stomith wrote:
    Hey stranger :)

Same for us on New Years Day Dunc.... we had 4 bikes sieze up on the exposed section towards Didcot.

I posted asking same question.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... ght=freeze

I took some fotos of the bikes this time as I was quite impressed at how hard the frozen mud can be. Some of it was like weld spatters on the kids bikes which held and would not let go.

I was thinking of greasing the front mechs as it would insulate them to some degree, rather than oil.
    i would steer clear of grease on exposed parts as it just attracts grime an grit etc use oil instead an keep the grease for bearings and the like!
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Yep, stick to cleaning, drying (use a water dispersant like GT85) and lube. In this weather, particularly with windchill things will freeze. Had it last year, exposed cables completly froze covered in mud.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • BOYDIE
    BOYDIE Posts: 528
    I commute all year round 8) ,and find that if i coat parts of my bike, in say a spray like GT85 and then let it dry snow and rain don't tend to stick as much.

The frame between the cranks and bottom of the downtube usually get caked in snow but a spray of lube or a few drops of 3in1 on a cloth and rubbed on,stops it sticking,same with exposed areas like the mech (front and rear).

You must let it dry or you will just attract mud grit etc.I also use a piece of old innertube and seal the joint between my seatpost and frame,take a 3inch piece of tube take out your seatpost slide on the tube,replace seatpost then roll the innertube over the seatpost clamp.Thus sealing the top of your frame and seatpost,I do this on my hybrid and my MTB.Fit depends on the size of your seat post etc I use a 28mm hybrid tube for a close tight fit,limits water getting into the frame.

Also tend to your cables all the time a few drops of lube dropped on to a cloth and rubbed down cables protects them,also a few drops in ether ends of the outer also helps,but once a week I un-tension the cables and give the inners and outers a good clean.

Remember that mudguards will protect areas of your bike to as well as your backside.
  • seataltea
    seataltea Posts: 594
    You haven't had a bike freeze up on you until the only option is to wee on your rear hub and derailleur :shock:

I rode home at 2am along a mixed 8mile route of towpath, track and road, I don't believe there is any substance which can prevent a bike freezing up when it's close to -6.
    'nulla tenaci invia est via'
    FCN4
    Boardman HT Pro fully X0'd
    CUBE Peleton 2012
    Genesis Aether 20 all season commuter