35 million squid

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited January 2010 in Pro race
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... -test.html?

That's a lot of money for a bike racing team, eh?
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    And that's not even the budget over five years, no it's the spend on the first year :shock:
    there will be no change out of £35 million in the first year which involves one-off start up costs and buying key riders out of existing contracts.
    Not exactly the plucky British underdogs are they... :wink:
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    I don't think it's a foregone conclusion this new team will win anything of note in 2010, plus there'll be a lot of enemies out there. Bike races aren't necessarily won by the strongest or most 'virtuous' riders, there'll be alliances out there to make life hard for them.
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    £30 million of that has been spent on contract lawyers.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • ..but their bus is nice (and their TT bikes too)

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-New ... ey_Wiggins
  • stefrees
    stefrees Posts: 137
    so much negativity its sad. i think its a great day, the first time i can say we have our own british pro tour team.
  • BdeB
    BdeB Posts: 110
    And driving jags ac2bw.jpg
  • Kit is nice - nice idea of having rider names and national flag on sides of the body.
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    phil s wrote:
    I don't think it's a foregone conclusion this new team will win anything of note in 2010, plus there'll be a lot of enemies out there. Bike races aren't necessarily won by the strongest or most 'virtuous' riders, there'll be alliances out there to make life hard for them.

They have EBH. They will win something.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • Kléber
    I'm sure they will win. My only concern is that their level of ambition exceeds the talent on roster right now. There are some very good names on there, I really rate Lovkvist for example, but there are lots of relatively lightweight names on the squad too. You need a few big names to win but you also need guys capable of closing down moves, towing a bunch around and being present in the high mountains. The team looks a little top heavy. Everyone's getting excited about the team bus but they need a Jens Voigt or Matteo Tossato figure or two.

But that can be corrected and I'm sure they'll be more balanced next year and will win plenty this year.
  • iainf72 wrote:
    "A British winner has to be clean..." insists Brailsford, "...and if they have anything which resembles a drug profile, we won't go near them."

A number or "road" experts have been drafted in ... including Britain's Sean Yates, credited by Lance Armstrong as teaching him everything he knows."

arf arf ;)
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Kléber wrote:
    . Everyone's getting excited about the team bus but they need a Jens Voigt or Matteo Tossato figure or two.

I reckon Bjarne Riis and Pat Lefevre have placed armed guards around those two and ordered them to shoot any short, bald guys with chequebooks within 50 metres.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • iainf72
    Saxo have a new spokeman

“We are not, and never have been, a team to go after riders with another team,” Greenwood said. “We need to respect one another, and teams need to treat each other properly."
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    £35 million may be a lot of dosh for a cycling team but don't forget that last June Real Madrid bought Kaká from Milan for £56 million, followed shortly £80 million for Ronaldo from Manchester United. Rather puts it into perspective.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Kléber wrote:
    I'm sure they will win. My only concern is that their level of ambition exceeds the talent on roster right now. There are some very good names on there, I really rate Lovkvist for example, but there are lots of relatively lightweight names on the squad too. You need a few big names to win but you also need guys capable of closing down moves, towing a bunch around and being present in the high mountains. The team looks a little top heavy. Everyone's getting excited about the team bus but they need a Jens Voigt or Matteo Tossato figure or two.

Michael Barry?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • iainf72
    DaveyL wrote:
    Michael Barry?

He's never ridden the Tour, has he?
  • DaveyL
    He does have GT experience and is the type of rider Kleber said Sky lacked.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,479
    You could also add Kurt-Asle Arvesen and Dario Cioni to that list. Two highly experienced domestiques who claim the odd win for themselves.
  • Kléber
    edited January 2010
    He's ok but he's not one to reel in a big breakaway. Flecha could be good for them but the Spaniard likes to attack rather than pull back moves.

Like I say, they'll probably bolster things for next year. They should win quite a few races this year but this involves some luck too. It's just they don't have a really powerful GT team with outstanding rouleurs and climbers in support of Wiggins and Lovkvist, the team actually looks more suited to one day races.

EBH could easily win 10 races so he alone could be worth more than the entire ISD or Bouygues team.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Hmm well they definitely have the nicest cars in the pro peleton!! 35 million is a lot, does anyone have figures from other teams to put it into context though?
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • DaveyL
    Kléber wrote:
    He's ok but he's not one to reel in a big breakaway. Flecha could be good for them but the Spaniard likes to attack rather than pull back moves.

Perhaps you'd like to ask Cav what he thinks of Michael Barry's ability to sit on the front all day and haul in breaks?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • iainf72
    £1.34m per rider

The total budget of all Pro Tour teams for 2009 was (roughly) £162m. So that's about £9m per team in total. And if you worked it out on a per rider basis using the 26 riders per team Sky have it's about £340K per rider.
  • Yorkman
    Yorkman Posts: 290
    Presumably Sky will be taking TdF coverage off Eurosport shortly then, to maximise their exposure.

Hmmm.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Yorkman wrote:
    Presumably Sky will be taking TdF coverage off Eurosport shortly then, to maximise their exposure.

Hmmm.

Why they want the Tour on Sky? That'll give them less exposure. They can get Eurosport to advertise for them.

Wouldn't happen any, the TdF has to be on "free to air" apparently
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr