Wheel rubbing after put it in anyone help

wardy235
wardy235 Posts: 106
edited January 2010 in MTB beginners
I've got a fury and the tyre went flat so i took the wheel then replaced it and it has a rubbing sound. It's got hydraulic brakes. If i need to reset it how do i do this. Any of you got any ideas + wheel look right where it is

Comments

• Horton
    Horton Posts: 327
    try tightening the skewer up a bit... Also, make sure the wheel is 100% square in the drop outs - when you put the wheel in, make sure there's some downward pressure on the stem to ensure it's seated properly.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • stomith
    stomith Posts: 332
    Make sure you haven't slotted the brake disc on the outside of one of the brake pads, instead of "between" the two pads.
  • wardy235
    nicklouse wrote:
    dont know wot ur on about :D
  • stomith
    stomith Posts: 332
    wardy....

front or back?
    where be the noisey bit? (at the caliper presumably?)
    what about if you take caliper off, while test fitting the wheel?

lastly, is there a peg and piece of cardboard stuck in the spokes? :) I often get this problem.
  • wardy235
    Back haven't tested proparly but I think it's coming from the brake I'll tell you in more detail tomorow and is it easy to take the caliper off ??? It's a new bike that's y I don't know
  • wardy235
    + I haven't touched the brake when wheel was out
  • Flip the quick realease back off, then back on again. It's very easy to tighten it when it's ever so slightly out of allignment, which will cause the rubbing 99% of the time. I find it best just to let the weight of the bike rest on the wheel as I'm tightening it, without applying any other pressure. If it doesn't work, try again. It should run freely once it's alligned properly.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    If the bike is flipped when I drop the wheel out I only tighten it loosely on the QR, then flip it over and release and re-tighten, checking the pad clearance as you go. If you need to you can apply a little pull in one direction as you tighten, rather than the faff of re-setting the brake alignment "in the field" so to speak