What Lights should I get?

rowing_sculling
rowing_sculling Posts: 41
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
Well having now started a new job I will be starting to cycle to the train station. Only problem at the moment is that I have been a fair weather cyclist up til now, so am rather limited in winter kit and have no lights at all.

What lights do others use for commuting, my route is mainly country lanes, so is important that I can see as well as be seen.

I've been having great fun stocking up on new kit, and for the first time don't have to come up with an excuse to justify buying it all.

No doubt I'll be looking to buy another bike in the near future, but I'll leave for another discussion.

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,714
    How much do you want to spend on the lights?
  • Tops about £300. Does that seem reasonable?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    SSC P7 from deal extreme, £50 delivered http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.30864

Super super super bright even out here in the sticks, but be under no illusions these a China knock off's - they're pretty much the same as the expensive big brands and performs just the same.

900 lumens I have no idea what that means but it does the job.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,714
    Very reasonable.

Firstly, at least one of these. More is better, I'm running 3 of them.

Second, this. Very bright, and visible from the side.

Lastly, for the main front light, this. This one includes 2 batteries, so you can use one while the other is charging on alternate days

How I run mine:
    2 rear lights on the seatpost, and one attached to the rack. If I didn't have the rack, I'd have one on each chainstay and one on the seatpost.

The Smart front light is mounted on top of the bar and set to flash.

The Hope is mounted so that the head unit is upside down under the bar. Doesn't affect light to the front, but it allows the side windows on the Smart to be visible from both sides.
  • CdrJake
    CdrJake Posts: 296
    Just don't do the same as the fool I saw this morning while taking NGale to work. a flashing red light on the FRONT of his bike!
    twitter: @JakeM1969
  • itboffin
    The commander is followed along his commute by a frigate lighting his way by spotlight, more wasted tax payers money :lol: :P :lol:

like this ....
    724px-Frigate_%28PSF%29.png
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • CdrJake
    itboffin wrote:
    The commander is followed along his commute by a frigate lighting his way by spotlight, more wasted tax payers money :lol: :P :lol:

like this ....
    724px-Frigate_%28PSF%29.png

And you know the most shocking thing, that red light wasn't even on the Port side :lol:
  • CdrJake
    Anyway this is much more my style

800-Royal_Navy-HMS_Cumberland_1.jpg
  • itboffin
    Looks like the HMS Cumberland to me :wink:
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    edited January 2010
    get a couple at least, one to see by and one the be seen by others by A decent flashing one is best for this.

Smart lunar 35 with a 1/2watt rear light are great the be seen by, flashing, long range visibility, good battery life and good lateral visibility. They come as a set for £30-£45 depends on where you shop. I ride all hours and very dark rural bits and feel perfectly safe using these.

I'm not up on headlights to see by, my dark bike came with dynamo and passable headlight fitted
  • CdrJake
    itboffin wrote:
    Looks like the HMS Cumberland to me :wink:

It is indeed. I've spent many a happy hour on deployment in her engine room. :lol:
  • one of these.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :MESELX:IT

or these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :MESELX:IT

coupled tp one of Smudges 5.2Ah Li-Ion bottle packs and chargers..

More than enough light.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12660193

Read the links off there, buy the DealExtreme light, save yourself ~£250 :D
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."