Opinions on Specialized enduro SL 2007 Frame

Mythic
Mythic Posts: 163
edited January 2010 in MTB general
I've got my eye on one of these,

What are they like, are they good climbers?

It will be a custom build

and whats the shock reliabilty problems, as i will not be buying with a warrenty?

Any info will be helpful

Dave

Comments

• bregante
    bregante Posts: 271
    I have an 08 SL. Awesome climbing bike, especially with the E150 fork (or another "talas" style adjustable travel fork) - not sure about any reliabilty issues with the shock - I thought that the problems mainly revolved around the fork (which were all but rectified by 2008. If in doubt, have a look at the Specialized Forum on MTBR.com ).

TBH, if it's a good deal, I'd take a chance, you can always send the shock away to TF if it's not performing.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    I've had my 08 SL two years and the shock is fine.As stated there were a few problems with the 2007 fork but nothing with the shock.
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    I test rode a '07 and an '08, I wasn't a fan of the complete bikes. I've had an '06 since new (they're totaly different) but the frame was super light and much better at climbing than mine.

I just found them nervous on fast descents, didn't matter what I did with the fork, it wouldn't hold a line.

But as a base for a custom build I think it would be great. Stick some 36's on it, or maybe try to find some of the 150mm 32's they fitted to the '09's.

2010 Endruo looks good, I'm gonna test ride one when I'm well enough to ride again.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    P-Jay wrote:
    I test rode a '07 and an '08, I wasn't a fan of the complete bikes. I've had an '06 since new (they're totaly different) but the frame was super light and much better at climbing than mine.

I just found them nervous on fast descents, didn't matter what I did with the fork, it wouldn't hold a line.

But as a base for a custom build I think it would be great. Stick some 36's on it, or maybe try to find some of the 150mm 32's they fitted to the '09's.

2010 Endruo looks good, I'm gonna test ride one when I'm well enough to ride again.
    I had an 04 enduro before my 08 and the 08 is in a different class 8) Its rock solid on both fast and technical descents and IMO the E-150 is a superb fork,super stiff with the 25mm bolt-thru,Far better than the Talas on my old bike.I enquired about having one put on a 2010 expert as the 2-step Lyriks are shite,but its 10mm shorter and no-one seems to want to do a deal.Personally i'll go for the pro model with the E-160 8) If you're doing a build go for the Fox 36's.
  • bregante
    bregante Posts: 271
    P-Jay wrote:

I know bikes are subjective but I have to say that the Enduro SL is one of the most stable all-day rideable bikes I've ever ridden. Up there with the Nomad IMHO
  • weescott
    weescott Posts: 453
    It's a decent frame, the rear shock isn't that great though - It's a little lifeless. There must be a reason Specialized ditched thier own brand shock for 2010! I rode my pals Enduro SL few times with the Fox 32 150mm 15mm QR, It's very plush and well suited to the bike but obviously the 36's will be better when it gets gnarly, but they would be better suited on an SX Trail.
  • weescott
    weescott Posts: 453
    Bregante wrote:
    I know bikes are subjective but I have to say that the Enduro SL is one of the most stable all-day rideable bikes I've ever ridden. Up there with the Nomad IMHO

Interesting. Never heard of a Specialized Enduro being compared to a Nomad. I owned a Nomad MK1 and IMO it blows the Enduro out of the water on climbs, decents, everything.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i love mine, i fitted a dhx, some lyriks and some roval wheels and it is mega:

4148145860_dca71acdd7_b.jpg

it rides exactly like a good xc bike in as much as it is eficient and lght enough to ride for ages. but when it points down it is awesome, it floats over everything, allows you to carry speed and tackle rougher less used lines without any issue.

if i was only going to have one bike it would be the enduro.