Running Schwalbe NN/RR tubeless

glen4
glen4 Posts: 250
edited January 2010 in MTB general
Anyone running the standard ie:- not UST Nobby Nics or Racing Ralphs as tubeless with a stan's or similar kit? Any issues at all or do they work OK?
2009 Cove Handjob
2009 Cove Hummer

Comments

• stylish
    stylish Posts: 168
    benn running standard RR for about 9 months now, on 355 rims with stans sealant and had no problems at all, i put a little more stans in than the instructions advise but working perfectly.
    use plenty of soapy water around the bead when you fit them as this will help them to seat.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    IMO Schwalbe seal better than any tyre brand. I run standard Evo RRs, NNs, Rons, Freds and 1.5" Black Sharks, all of which have sealed with a track pump, had a couple of slow flats in the Rons, but nothing else otherwise.

Disagree with putting soapy water on the bead, would be weary of doing that unnecessarily to avoid diluting the sealant. I['ve never needed to on Olympics or Roval Controles.
  • glen4
    glen4 Posts: 250
    thanks guys, will get some ordered....
    2009 Cove Handjob
    2009 Cove Hummer
  • KT1973
    KT1973 Posts: 93
    It will give a good light rolling weight, only drawback being the weaker sidewalls, so more change of damaging them, especially at lower pressures.
    I'm thinking of buying schwalbes, but not sure whether to go with NN or RR. It's for xc use and I intend to put them on in 2 weeks time, so leaning towards NN.
    I was going to run them with tubes though.
    Currently running panaracer fire xc and hutcheson pythons tubeless and didn't have any problems until I rode through a recently harvested field of stubble and picked up some splinters....
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    take care as there have been issues with some of the liquids and some none tubeless tyres.

Causing them to de-laminate.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • LoUiS1985
    LoUiS1985 Posts: 841
    nicklouse wrote:
    take care as there have been issues with some of the liquids and some none tubeless tyres.

Causing them to de-laminate.

Nick - what liquids exactly were they, can you remember?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sorry cant, but the makers do mention the issues on their sites.

also google the tyre/make and any solution and i am sure there will be some results.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • njee20
    Stan's works best IMO and I've never had problems with any Schwalbe tyres.

I used to use NNs a lot, but now tend to use Bonty Mud X's in winter, then swap straight to Ralphs, if you want a tyre for the winter the Nic is probably a better choice, but the Ralph is an excellent '3 season' tyre.
  • Have just swapped onto NNs for the winter. They seem to stay up better than the RRs, probably due to the thicker sidewalls. My RRs suffered from lots of tiny 'blowouts' which the solution sealed, but not until some pressure had been lost. It took ages for them to stay up overnight. The holes stopped forming after the pressure had dropped to about 20psi, which is perfectly rideable, but I prefer a little more in the RRs.

I had to use soapy water to get both the NN and RR to seat on Olympic rims. You don't need much, just enough to make the bead slippery.

Overall the Schwalbes are good with Stans. Better than with tubes anyway.
  • njee20
    The Ralph and the Nic have the same carcass though, just a likely variation between tyres.
  • NNs have thicker rubber on the sidewalls.