i need more bikes (story of a new commuter)

geordiefella
geordiefella Posts: 302
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
oh dear. one just ain't enough....

started thinking that my car was dying. then...., erm, it died. started taking the train. £4 a day.

I've always biked places, but only now and again for fun. I got out my old marin had since University 'steel frame bear valley'. now its a second bike to my Bad Boy Rohloff from evans last Feb, used as a daily 30 mile commute 4 days a week since you guys started me off thinking about whether i could do it or not really.

first week i was knackered and was late for work twice with wind or trying a new route and leaving too late etc. now i've got it down pat. Heart rate is 46ish. love riding to work and have several routes so as not to draw attention from would-be bike fanciers who might take an interest.

now I'm finding that a third bike would be attractive as i've looked into winter tyre variants so I'm thinking about a cyclocross bike with which i could tackle my local woods with etc. road bike speed but more tyre choice (nobbles and studded tyres for ice etc). I can only go to 28/32 slicks at the mo. I could have had a set of 26" inch winter wheels at the ready but of course i got the Rohloff which although great, means that a rear wheel build would cost me another 900 quid so i could drop down from 700c for more tyre choices.

and on top of all that I've signed up for the ride across britain (RAB) in June 2011 in a fit of feel-good enthusiasm. So that'll be a road bike added to the list (or should i get a cyclocross bike and fit slicks to it. Oh i dunno! I'll just have one of everything.

so what to do what to do.

In short, a big thank you to all who contribute their knowledge and wisdom and wit here. I've spent hours gleaning what i can, laughing and learning. You're a good bunch and i wish you all the best in 2010.

So now, I'm 9/10 months in as a daily commuter. 3250 miles. Zero punctures (thank you continental!). and i spend my £4 a day train fare at Pret A Manger in Newcastle. Fine fine food. My wife makes me lunch but I'm just so hungry with the 15m each way that i have to fuel up mid afternoon with a little something to make the trip home a good 'un.

Happy New Year!

Geordiefella
twittering for like-minded motivation: RAB2011Dave
Cannondale BadBoy Rohloff
Cannondale SuperSix / 11sp Chorus
Ridley Excalibur / 10sp Centaur
Steel Marin Bear Valley SE
Twitter @roadbikedave

Comments

• Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    The correct number of bikes is n + 1 where n = current number of bikes

+! for cyclocross bikes - very versatile, quick but stronger than road bikes
  • tomb353
    tomb353 Posts: 196
    I'm getting Ride Cycles (Scotswood Road, used to be Denton Cycles) to build me one of these this year, cyclocross / commuter frame with mechanical disks. Will be placing the order latter this week as soon as my cycle to work voucher comes through:

http://road.cc/content/news/4135-exclusive-just-kuk-tripster
    http://www.kinesisdecade.co.uk/product.php?id=1

Like yourself, have progressed to two bikes and feel that a 3rd will be essential to my future happiness. Tynemouth to Newcastle City Centre 5 days a week, fair weather or foul.
    vendor of bicycle baskets & other stuff www.tynebicycle.co.uk
    www.tynebicycle.co.uk/blog
    Kinesis Tripster
    Gazelle NY Cab
    Surly Steamroller
    Cannondale F100
  • very nice. aren't ccx tyres 35mm. there doesn't look to be a lot of clearance there. great looking bike though. and £500! thats great. like the idea of commuting of a cross and the top bar pull levers rather than just the drop brakes.
    i've not been up to that store for ages. i think peter darke (sunderland) was taking it on or some story like that. worth visiting?
    you tweet?
    Cannondale BadBoy Rohloff
    Cannondale SuperSix / 11sp Chorus
    Ridley Excalibur / 10sp Centaur
    Steel Marin Bear Valley SE
    Twitter @roadbikedave
  • tomb353
    tomb353 Posts: 196
    £500 for frmae and forks, but more like £1200 by the time its built I'm afraid. Definately worth paying them a visit, they were always good value for repairs but seem to be selling a bigger range of bikes now. (no tweeting...)
    vendor of bicycle baskets & other stuff www.tynebicycle.co.uk
    www.tynebicycle.co.uk/blog
    Kinesis Tripster
    Gazelle NY Cab
    Surly Steamroller
    Cannondale F100