Light, windproof jacket

cjcp
cjcp Posts: 13,345
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
Howdy, folks. I need recommendations for one of the above.

I have my eye on the Montane Featherlite Velo for the following reasons: (a) I don't want to spend too much, (b) I sweat like a lunatic whatever I seem to wear so I don't think there's any point me spending too much, and (c) it needs to be light and capable of being packed away easily into my jersey pockets in dry weather during training rides and sportives.

Cheers. :)
FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
"It stays down, Daddy."
"Exactly."

Comments

• prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I'm getting an Altura Cropton free with my C+ subscription, I think they're only about £30 online.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • I bought a featherlite based on recommendations in this forum and generally I’d say it was fine for the price. It’s Ok in showers, but I get it wet on the inside anyway due to sweat. LBS told me that most rainproof jackets suffer similarly if you are an energetic rider, mind you I havent tried Gore £100+ jackets perhaps they perform.

One issue, I found the Montane sizing chart on the small size, Montane recommend a Medium for a 40” chest, mine is very tight in riding position, I wish i’d bought a size bigger.

So I think that’s a recommendation for the money :)
    I ache, therefore I am.
  • i can highly recommend the DHB event jacket. its been as low as 87 ish. found that it was the only one that keeps me fairly dry at the end of a ride. lovely jacket. rubbish for pockets though i'm afraid. not even a single one. crackin for rainy cold days though with a good pair of gloves and a skull cap / rapha winter hat.
    Cannondale BadBoy Rohloff
    Cannondale SuperSix / 11sp Chorus
    Ridley Excalibur / 10sp Centaur
    Steel Marin Bear Valley SE
    Twitter @roadbikedave
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    cjcp wrote:
    I have my eye on the Montane Featherlite Velo for the following reasons: (a) I don't want to spend too much, (b) I sweat like a lunatic whatever I seem to wear so I don't think there's any point me spending too much, and (c) it needs to be light and capable of being packed away easily into my jersey pockets in dry weather during training rides and sportives.

I've got a Velo and am a sweaty bugger, too :) While the Velo's certainly light and packable, I think it really only works well with another long-sleeve layer underneath. The material is so thin that it has no rigidity and sticks to sweaty skin, which means you feel the chill of the wind pretty much unimpeded. It's also a bit flappy because of that light weight.

I'm not moaning about the Velo - it's certainly better than any jacket that gets left at home and later you need it! - but just be aware of the compromises that come with the excellent weight and size.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Montane's ok for the price.

If you can, stretch to one of the Gore paclite jackets. Cheap here, if you find your size.
    Got a yellow one for 70 quid!
    http://www.sportsshoes.com/product/GOR2 ... e-jacket,/
    exercise.png
  • cjcp
    jamesco wrote:
    I think it really only works well with another long-sleeve layer underneath.

That would be the plan, probably with arm warmers. Cheers for the heads up on the wind chill - I'm thinking ahead to the Marmotte and the likelihood of cold temps at the top, the cold descents and the possibility of rain.

@TheStone - I have the Gore Phantom, and wondered about using it as a gilet because it's arms are detachable, andit's the business, but it doesn't pack down very small. I quite like this one - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Gore_ ... 8722/#more - but that will have to wait a bit.

@Prawny - it looks from the C+ mag that the jacket on offer is the Altura Pocket Rocket. Is that the one?

Cheers, chaps. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    I've got one of these which packs up very small - tennis ball size.

[url=Http://wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Pearl_Izumi_Optik_Windproof_Jacket/5360041842/]Http://wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Pearl_Izu ... 360041842/[/url]

Worn over a long sleeve Merino base layer it is fine in temps down to 8ish, I am also a sweaty bugger. Picked it up on the sale rack for £30 in Cycle Surgery.

Maybe a little light for what you're looking for?
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    I like my Montane Featherlite jacket.

I do tend to use it as an emergency top, though. Leave it in the saddlebag, pull it out when I need it. It's definitely a "I think I'll be okay in this, but just in case the weather changes..." jacket.

Having said that, it's gotten me home in relative comfort in some pretty horrendous weather.
  • I use a Montane light jacket, needs a base layer, and folds down to orange sized.

so perfect for changeable weather at least I hope only taken it out once but it seems not too flappy and very windproof.
  • cjcp
    Canny Jock wrote:

I think it might be. Cheers though, because I was looking at this one too.

The Montane looks as if it will do the job. That said, I'm looking at the Castelli Velo now, too. I can see myself agonising over this for a while...
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Jon8a
    Jon8a Posts: 235
    I have one.

The windproof nature makes it warm when needed, I commute in mine most of the year. It can be a bit sweaty in summer but it's still better than getting wet, works better with a long sleeve jersey.

Mostly I carry it for iffy days to throw on if it rains* or I get a puncture somewhere exposed.

When it rains, visibility drops, get one of the colours that is more visible, I got a black one and regret it.
  • Hi,

I have a Gore Phantom, and with the arms removed is still very warm and windproof. Great cold weather jacket or vest with sleeves removed.
    I also have a Mavic Helium wind jacket, which is great for stopping the wind, but needs arm warmers and good base layers. Also I believe for regular use the material is a bit flimsy.
    FCN 4
  • Forgot to add that the Mavic is great for sticking in back pocket. Can fold/roll really small
    FCN 4
  • You should consider a Paramo Fuera windproof smock, highly breathable, packs up small, rainproof for a while if it turns bad, and most importantly cheap!

I have a couple, black and high vis yellow version, great job.
    I LOVE THE SMELL OF GT85 IN THE MORNING!
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    prawny wrote:
    I'm getting an Altura Cropton free with my C+ subscription, I think they're only about £30 online.

You'll boil in the bag with one of those - had one for a while. If it rains, you'll be drier if you dont wear it!
  • cjcp
    Grantstats wrote:
    Hi,

I have a Gore Phantom, and with the arms removed is still very warm and windproof. Great cold weather jacket or vest with sleeves removed.
    I also have a Mavic Helium wind jacket, which is great for stopping the wind, but needs arm warmers and good base layers. Also I believe for regular use the material is a bit flimsy.

I have the Gore - agree with you that it's great. :D

I like the look of the Mavic. Cheers for that.

@PP - lateral thinking! I'm not sure I'd get on with the hood though.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Here's the gilet I was talking about on our ride today:
    http://www.mavic.com/road/products/eche ... 264.5.aspx

I'll be taking it and warmers to the marmotte for the descents. (If the forecast is for rain I'll take a light rain cape instead.) Packs down really small and I can take it off and stow on the move. Without dropping it most of the time, too ;)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I have a castelli super lightweight jacket, i'll dig out the name, it was £30 :shock:

I know I know, why doesn't everyone have one!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp
    JonGinge wrote:
    Here's the gilet I was talking about on our ride today:
    http://www.mavic.com/road/products/eche ... 264.5.aspx

I'll be taking it and warmers to the marmotte for the descents. (If the forecast is for rain I'll take a light rain cape instead.) Packs down really small and I can take it off and stow on the move. Without dropping it most of the time, too ;)

Tempting. As I'm planning to take both cape and gilet just in case, I might get this and the Montane. Or maybe the Castelli. D'oh!
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • prawny
    cjcp wrote:
    @Prawny - it looks from the C+ mag that the jacket on offer is the Altura Pocket Rocket. Is that the one?

Cheers, chaps. :)

Nah it's only a windproof, the pocket rocket is fully waterproof. The pocket rocket looks ace I nearly bought one but I went for a gore one instead.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • prawny
    g00se wrote:
    prawny wrote:

You'll boil in the bag with one of those - had one for a while. If it rains, you'll be drier if you dont wear it!

Really? @rse :?
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • markp2
    markp2 Posts: 162
    I can recommend the Endura Air Defence soft shell jacket. Plenty warm enough. Breathes really well. Plenty of zipped vents and pockets. Was originally waterproof for about an hours ride then rain got in through the seams.
    I have had mine for about 18 months and wear it daily during the winter. It gets washed twice a week but the level of water proofing is diminishing over time/washes.
    Just ordered another one from CRC as I fell off on ice and tore it last Saturday
    Cheers,
    Mark
    Genesis Croix de Fer - my new commuting mount
    Saracen Hytrail - the workhorse - now pensioned off
    Kinetic-One FK1 roadie - the fast one - hairy legs though!
    Cannondale Jekyll Lefty MTB - the muddy one which keeps tipping me into gorse bushes!
  • markp2
    markp2 Posts: 162
    I can recommend the Endura Air Defence soft shell jacket. Plenty warm enough. Breathes really well. Plenty of zipped vents and pockets. Was originally waterproof for about an hours ride then rain got in through the seams.
    I have had mine for about 18 months and wear it daily during the winter. It gets washed twice a week but the level of water proofing is diminishing over time/washes.
    Just ordered another one from CRC as I fell off on ice and tore it last Saturday
    Cheers,
    Mark
    Genesis Croix de Fer - my new commuting mount
    Saracen Hytrail - the workhorse - now pensioned off
    Kinetic-One FK1 roadie - the fast one - hairy legs though!
    Cannondale Jekyll Lefty MTB - the muddy one which keeps tipping me into gorse bushes!
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    The Montane served me well on the 08 Etape, for the money it's a wonderful bit of kit. It drizzled all day and was foggy on the cols but with arm warmers underneath I was cosy and fairly dry. Core stayed warm on the descents. One thing I would suggest is a lightweight pair of full finger gloves to take with you on the Marmotte, if it's cold on the cols you'll want them for the descents, I didn't have any and my hands went numb which made feeling the brake bite on the damp descents sketch as hell...
  • jonginge
    The Montane served me well on the 08 Etape, for the money it's a wonderful bit of kit. It drizzled all day and was foggy on the cols but with arm warmers underneath I was cosy and fairly dry. Core stayed warm on the descents. One thing I would suggest is a lightweight pair of full finger gloves to take with you on the Marmotte, if it's cold on the cols you'll want them for the descents, I didn't have any and my hands went numb which made feeling the brake bite on the damp descents sketch as hell...
    Good job I've got that mahoosive Spesh kitbag. Seems I'll be taking a lot of 'what if' clothing combinations ;)
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cjcp

Cheers, Jash. Looks like I'll have to make sure I get the correct size to reduce flappage.

Good shout on the gloves. I'm definitely taking those.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • il_principe
    JonGinge wrote:
    Good job I've got that mahoosive Spesh kitbag. Seems I'll be taking a lot of 'what if' clothing combinations ;)

Do! I assumed South of France + July = Sun & Hot and foolishly packed accordingly! At least I remembered arm warmers and the Montane... one of the guys I rode with had bought bibs, s/s jersey only. He rode with a bin bag on for most of the day!
  • jonginge
    JonGinge wrote:

Do! I assumed South of France + July = Sun & Hot and foolishly packed accordingly! At least I remembered arm warmers and the Montane... one of the guys I rode with had bought bibs, s/s jersey only. He rode with a bin bag on for most of the day!
    I remember following the bbc sport team's preparations for the 2008 etape:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/BBCSportEtape

White bibshorts :shock:
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • il_principe
    JonGinge wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

I remember following the bbc sport team's preparations for the 2008 etape:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/BBCSportEtape

White bibshorts :shock:

Yeah, BBC FAIL.
  • I can recommend the Pearl Izumi Zephy'r jacket. Got one from wiggle for £45ish and is a great windproof and water-resistant jacket. Easily packs down to fit into jersey pocket. Pretty thin so you do need a base layer or long sleeve jersey underneath.

Seems to breathe pretty well too - never too sweaty!

Also available in a gilet