BB Removal Tips

asprilla
asprilla Posts: 8,440
edited January 2010 in The workshop
I'm having difficulty removing the bottom bracket from a project bike of mine. I have removed the cranks, the axel, barings and one thread but I can't get the other side off. Not sure what type it is, it's an old Claud Butler.
Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
Sun - Cervelo R3
Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    read parktools.

they may be a reverse thread in there.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    If it's an old cup and cone type BB, ie the axle, bearings and cups are removable from each other then one tip to get the fixed, driveside, cup out is to use an 1/2" bolt with 2 nuts. Push the bolt through with the head inside the frame and screw one nut onto the bolt then the other nut and keep tightening the second nut.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Asprilla wrote:
    I'm having difficulty removing the bottom bracket from a project bike of mine. I have removed the cranks, the axel, barings and one thread but I can't get the other side off. Not sure what type it is, it's an old Claud Butler.

I've resorted to an angle grinder on two occasions...

This has been successful, but in both cases the frame was far enough gone that a chainstay rusted through not long after getting the bike back on the road. I'd think long & hard before bothering again, to be honest, as it's irritating to have to write off something that's taken a bit of time to get working.
    Given my aversion to spending money on winter bikes, though, I'd probably try again regardless... I'm dumb like that :-)

Cheers,
    W.