upgradeing bike

murfeey
murfeey Posts: 68
edited January 2010 in MTB general
I have a hardtail,cube ltd pro but all my friends are buying full suspension bikes as,have a budget of 1600.00 any recommendations.
cheers murf.

Comments

• richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    what sort of riding do you do? xc/trail/am ect? do you want somthing light and fast or somthing more tough?

do you do a lot of standing and hammering away or do you sit and spin more?
  • Depends what you do. Ive also got a cube, and i'll be looking to upgrade to an FS in the next couple of years. For that money, anyway, id go for something like a Giant Anthem X2 or something out of the Trek series purely as im an XC biker but id also like the FS to have a play around aswell rather than a pure XC HT. What about the Boardman Pro? around £1400 with some notes left over for some bling?
    Giant XTC SE 2006
    Cube LTD Race 2009
    Trek Fuel EX 9
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    murfeey wrote:
    I have a hardtail,cube ltd pro but all my friends are buying full suspension bikes as,have a budget of 1600.00 any recommendations.
    cheers murf.
    Don't take this the wrong way, but what's wrong with your hardtail?

Just because all your mates ride FS doesn't mean there's anything wrong with riding HT. Chances are your bike's lighter and climbs better. However, if you want the added comfort and downhill controll then a full suss makes sense, however try before you buy (with a proper off road ride) maybe borrow one of your friends bikes; you might find you hate it.

All i'm saying is... don't buy one just cos your mates have them.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    Torres wrote:
    murfeey wrote:
    cheers murf.
    Don't take this the wrong way, but what's wrong with your hardtail?

Just because all your mates ride FS doesn't mean there's anything wrong with riding HT. Chances are your bike's lighter and climbs better. However, if you want the added comfort and downhill controll then a full suss makes sense, however try before you buy (with a proper off road ride) maybe borrow one of your friends bikes; you might find you hate it.

^^ +1
  • Ye totally agree with that as well. When i got my HT all my mates were saying what the hell? Now im waiting for them on every bike ride even on some downhill sections. If you don't know if its right for you, go to a test day.
    Giant XTC SE 2006
    Cube LTD Race 2009
    Trek Fuel EX 9
  • richg1979
    my moneys on you ditching the ht for a fs.

make sure you test ride a good full sus tho not somthing thats prone to squish or bob.

i thought ill keep my old ht for xc runs ect but i used it once after using a fs for a while and hated every minute of it.
  • murfeey
    i love the hardtail, but after riding a full suss want one,had a look at gary fisher range and giant ,also want value for money.Havnt seen boardman off to halfords 2 morro.cheers murf.
  • murfeey
    sorry trail riding and started more and more into thw oods,some big hills where we go also!!!!

cheers murf.
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    Ive also got a cube, and i'll be looking to upgrade to an FS in the next couple of years. For that money, anyway, id go for something like a Giant Anthem X2

I made the same move, I love my Cube, but the Anthem is in a different league. Best £1600 I ever spent :D
  • SPDmad
    SPDmad Posts: 19
    Personally I think you can't get anything better than a hardtail. I ust to have a dual suspension bike, and I nether got on with it, simply because it was to spongie and too heavy. I do some XC and road surfaces, and for the woods I would say you won't something like a Specialized StumpJumper or something simular with good disc brakes and good front forks.

Josh :wink::mrgreen: :P
  • richg1979
    SPDmad wrote:
    , I nether got on with it, simply because it was to spongie and too heavy.

you couldnt of had a good fs bike then, a good fs bike will not squish or bob and is not much heavier than a ht, if you go from a ht and test somthing like a marin wolfridge ect this could put you off fs bikes for life.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Almost all FS bikes have some degree of bob or pedal kickback - it is two things that are traded off.
  • rubins4
    rubins4 Posts: 563
    Torres wrote:

Summed up nicely for me just there. :wink:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12613038
    Anyway, fk dis, I iz off 4 a ride innit. l8rz peepz
  • richg1979
    supersonic wrote:
    Almost all FS bikes have some degree of bob or pedal kickback - it is two things that are traded off.

yes but will not be noticable on somthing with an efficent suspension setup, you will not feel the bike bob or squish.
  • missmarple
    missmarple Posts: 1,980
    richg1979 wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

yes but will not be noticable on somthing with an efficent suspension setup, you will not feel the bike bob or squish.

I get a warming feeling when mine bobs around, feels like I'm at sea. In all seriousness though, you're not just gonna spill £1,600.00 due to peer pressure? Don't do drugs kids!
  • Surely the Cube must have been pretty new anyway?
    Giant XTC SE 2006
    Cube LTD Race 2009
    Trek Fuel EX 9
  • Bert UK
    Bert UK Posts: 62
    Have you had a proper ride on a FS and ridden it where you normally ride ?
    When I get on a FS bike I always think I want one, but when I ride one properly on the trails I cant get on with them, and end up wanting to get back on my HT.
  • If you want something close to your hardtail i would say Specialized Epic ;)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    richg1979 wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

On most you will. To achieve anti squat, chain growth or pedal kickback is increased. No design on the market has zero bob and zero pedal kickback.