2009 good or bad

John C.
John C. Posts: 2,113
The Ups and Downs of 2009

First of all may I say it's been a good year for my cycling, I'm still getting faster. My speed on the flat has increased but this seems to be at the expense of my speed up the hills. This year also saw fewer 120+ mile rides which probably explains why I never considered myself 100 mile fit. My final mileage was about 2800 miles which was split equally between my two bikes .

On the up side were:

10 and 20 mile hilly time trial averaging over 20mph
100 mile hilly ride (Richmond sportive) under 7 hours
100 mile undulating rides under 6 hours
completed first closed circuit road race at Croft and finished in the main group
final sportive of the year (Columba Challenge) 2nd in Class and in top 10% overall

down side:

coming off fixed wheel bike without a helmet on
coming off and ending up in James Cook Hospital

head injuries are bad news, you can't see where the blood is coming from. :cry:

Best moments

final 5 miles of Richmond sportive and Columba challenge, I still had the reserves to up the pace to about 22mph, keep it there, and fly past struggling riders.

Shouldn't have done that moment

out sprinting a group to the top of Blackey Bank during the Rydale Rumble and hearing a little lad shout at the rider I'd just past "Go Daddy Go" :oops:

Next year I hope to do more racing at Croft and some sportives in areas I havn't been before.

All the best to all those I rode with and hope to see you in 2010
http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
Hills are just a matter of pace

Comments

• I daresay that every year that goes without injuries or headaches is a good year...
    Weather was very decent in the south, with the exception of Jan-Feb and Nov-Dec.

Did about 7000 miles and enjoyed all of them
    left the forum March 2023
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    2009 had it's moments but all in all a crap year :oops: