Cantilever brakes - Specialized Tricross Sport

dougzz
dougzz Posts: 1,833
edited February 2010 in The workshop
I read on here about the Tektra brakes that come with this being pretty useless, and they certainly seem rubbish to me compared to 105 brakes on another bike I have. I bought Avid Shorty 6 brakes because I read in a couple of places they're good and were recommended by several people for the Tricross. Firstly they specify back and front, but I can't see the difference, is there one? Also, any tips before I make a mess of installing them.
Cheers for any help or comments provided.

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    The only difference between front and rear v brakes are the guide pipes, 90 & 135 degree. I've got 90 on the front and at the mo a 135 on the reae but that will be changed to a 90 once the postie comes with my package from Wiggle.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • dougzz
    Cheers Redvee, is the guide pipe the L or V shaped bit of tubing the brake cable feeds through just before the point its secured, the thing that pulls the two legs together to apply the braking?

Could you expand a bit on the reason for the 90/135 difference.

Aslo if you don't mind what's the point of these brakes given most people seem of the opinion that canti brakes are not good.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    2262495609136dfc37c3.jpg
    dougzz wrote:
    Is the guide pipe the L or V shaped bit of tubing the brake cable feeds through just before the point its secured, the thing that pulls the two legs together to apply the braking?

The guide pipe is the silver pipe where the outer cable stops and feeds the inner cable to the arms
    dougzz wrote:
    Could you expand a bit on the reason for the 90/135 difference.

Not 100% sure about this but the 135 pipe on the front is because the rest of the world have their front brake on the left and it improves the cable run, the 90 on the rear is down to the fact that the cable usually comes from the frame which is pretty much inline with the cable entry into the guide pipe and therefore needs no major redirection.

Not sure I understand the last Q that well this early in the morning.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • dougzz
    Cheers, but they are not that sort of brake, they're like two opposite arms that are pulled from above centrally by a V of wire, a bit like an upside down Y.

av502000.jpeg

Another examination doesn't reveal any obvious differences between back and front. Although each brake is supplied with a choice of 3 lengths of the V wire/tube that pulls from above. The front seemed to have B, C and E lengths, and the rear A, B and C. A being the shortest and E the longest. The instructions say that shorter offers more braking force and less feeling, whilst the longer lengths offer more feedback/feeling but less braking force. If the wires supplied are the only difference that's a bit of a stretch to pretend they're different brake models.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    No difference in the calipers. Just make sure the pads are the right way round.
  • dougzz
    So Avid really make parts that have different part numbers although they're the same, it just seems mad to me. The pads are very clearly labelled with both an arrow and the word 'Front'.
  • dougzz
    Also are these V brakes and not cantilevers? Which is I assume why I confused redvee, sorry.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    dougzz wrote:
    Also are these V brakes and not cantilevers? Which is I assume why I confused redvee, sorry.
    No, they're cantilevers. redvee was just having a bit of a thick moment by the looks of it. ;)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    dougzz wrote:
    So Avid really make parts that have different part numbers although they're the same, it just seems mad to me. The pads are very clearly labelled with both an arrow and the word 'Front'.

they are assembled with the pads set for one end or the other. the brakes them selves are usable at either end. (same as V brakes) . Road type brakes have different length mounting bolts so are indeed front and rear specific.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • hstiles
    hstiles Posts: 414
    dougzz wrote:
    Aslo if you don't mind what's the point of these brakes given most people seem of the opinion that canti brakes are not good.

Canti brakes are popular with cyclocross because you can get much better mud clearance on cantilever brakes than v brakes.

Canti brakes do give good stopping power. I had my voodoo limba in for a service last week and the braking power was pretty fearsome after that. So much so that i slammed the brakes on last night because someone stepped out in front and flew straight over the handlebars.