Crud Race Guard - what's wrong?

arthur_scrimshaw
arthur_scrimshaw Posts: 2,596
edited January 2010 in The workshop
I use my 09 Rockhopper to commute to work (fitted with Specialized hemisphere armadillo tyres)
I bought a set of Crud race guards to stop the worst of the weather being deposited on my person, but I'm disappointed with the rear guard. I started with the guard mounted at the base of the seat post but I'm still getting spray up my back. Not as much as before but it hasn't stopped it. The guard is much wider than the tyres (1.95) and is aligned with the wheel. I've tried moving the guard halfway up the seat post but this hasn't improved matters. I can't move it higher or I'll lose space for my lights. Any suggestions what I'm doing wrong or are my expectations too high?
I've put a straight edge from the tyre to the end of the guard and it looks like the spray should miss me by a mile. Maybe I should try an empirical test with a hose pipe!

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    You're expecting far too much. They're too short to actually stop all the water hitting your back, and can't really be lengthened due to the way they fit on.

SKS do full guards for mountain bikes. They work better than anything else.
  • Thanks for the reply, I'll check them out, was thinking of some SKS guards for my road bike.