Bike Indicators Good Idea or Fad?

ASHLEYF
ASHLEYF Posts: 73
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
What do you guys think of the idea of indicator for our bikes? Bike indicators are an interesting idea as a year round commuter i like the idea, going to and from work in the dark would i think be safer although how much remains to be seen. A friend of mine is developing an indication system that will be available early 2010. He has patented an idea for a pair of motion sensor wrist bands with LEDs that activate when you flick your arm out to turn, i think he said they will retail for circa £30 for a pair. You can register interest at

b-indicated@hotmail.com the marketing material i believe will be available in 3-4 weeks.

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,714
    They're an awful idea, and they already exist.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Yeah, I've seen hundreds of different implementations of indicators. The concept's been around for at least 20 years now. I've yet to see a single bike/cyclist with them on.

It's solving a non-existant problem, that's why they've never been successful.
  • Sounds likea whole new bunch of things for some motorists to moan about.
  • Better to get gloves with reflectives and stick your arm out.
    I ache, therefore I am.
  • Yes I received a set of Bicygnals for Christmas and the only reason I would fit them is to use the lights Front and Rear as opposed to the indicators but I am more likely to get myself a dynamo and a set of lights tbh. Anyway they weigh a ton and I'm no weight junkie type.. :lol:
  • As a commuter I am interested. But I agree with the slight weight issue. There was a product called safeturn which you had to "flick" your arm. Originated from Australia I think.
    shame the rider doesn't match the bike...
  • Better to get gloves with reflectives and stick your arm out.

+1. Arms are really flexible, low weight and give a clear distance between body and hand to indicate which direction you're turning towards. Reflective armbands also do the trick.
  • not for me thanks. I've put arrow shaped reflectors on my gloves, I use reflective slap bands and have ones with flashy LED's all of which are way less than £30, don't rely on a motion sensor working (more actions = more to go wrong) and serve me perfectly well commuting daily often in the dark/dusk even in summer.

I'm always concerned that small flashy bits don't do what they are intended to do as motorists aren't expecting indicators on a pedal bike so tend to thinks its something on a car, motorbike or roadside sign a lot further away.

anything that could affect a drivers perception of how far away I am isn't sensible and is likely to increase my danger ot reduce it.

I think it'd be a costly novelty product for bikes adding nothing to rider safety but may be better aimed at the equestrian market for on road horse riding.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Blue Peter featured some, over 30 years ago. There was no real point then and there isn't now. On the bike there's not enough width to differentiate left & right, and on the arms they look like Dr Who props, a flashing light in mid air. Not for me thanks.
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Another rear-facing flashing light on a bike isn't going to mean much to a motorist, whether it's red or amber, or in the middle or off to the right/left.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    I got a set of these for Christmas from a friend.
    I think the website they are on pretty much shows they are a novelty item and the lead that is attached to the buttons to activate them is far to short to be used seriously :-)

I think Tesco where doing a blinking wristband that had red lights on them that the wife picked up for me. I haven't used them as it was actually a bit to big to fit nicely around a wrist or forearm (or my arms are to small..........). I got a DHB Amberley jacket at Christmas and chose the high-vis version is bright green with plenty of reflective stripping on and my gloves also have reflective piping on. As I've only been using that combination for a week or so I can't say if I've noticed a marked improvements in drivers being aware of me as I've only ridden fairly short rides on the commute since.
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5