Bike value (and insurance)

MountainPete
MountainPete Posts: 418
edited January 2010 in MTB general
As some of you may know, I have recently finished buliding a custom Santa Cruz Superlight. I am going to have to beef up the bike insurance, but by how much?

Rather than stating every upgrade there is, I want to find one of the models which fits my bike best. Santa Cruz do three different Superlights - the SPX XC, R XC and D XC. I have attached three links to the best set-out spec I could find (scroll down a bit for each). The spec of my bike is shown below.

I won't say what I think mine matches just so I don't bias your opinions in any way.

Let me know what you think!

SPX XC

R XC

D XC

My spec:

Frame: 2010 Santa Cruz Superlight with 2010 Fox RP23 Shock
Fork: RS Revelations (2008)
Brakes: Avid Juicy 5's (2008)
Shifter: Shimano XT M770 (2008)
Crank: RaceFace Deus (2007)
Bottom Bracket: Hope Stainless Steel
Front Derailleur: Shimano XT M770 (2010)
Cassette Shimano: Shimanmo XT
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT M772 Shadow mech (2009)
Chain Shimano: SRAM PC991 Crosstep
Wheelset: Hope Hoops Pro 3 XC-6 with Stans ZTR 355 rims (running with tubes atm)
Front + Rear Tire: Panaracer Fire XC Pro Kevlar
Headset: Hope Headset
Stem: Raceface Deus 90mm
Handlebar: Raceface Deus Riser
Grips: DMR Zipgrip
Seatpost: Thomson Elite
Saddle: Charge Spoon
Pedals: Shimano XTR
Cables: Shimano XTR

More info and pics here: http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... 5#15827345

Thanks!

Pete

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    I would state every upgrade you have, insurers can be picky buggers when it comes to payout time if the worst comes to the worst.

Plus you may have to provide proof of purchase, if you do it your way you have no proof of purchase.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • I thought you could do it this way? The company I am with only allows me to state 4 upgrades - as this is a non standard bike then there are more than 4 'upgrades'!

Is there anyone with a custom build who has insured their bike out there?
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Ask the insurance company if a valuation from a reputable bike shop is acceptable as proof of the value of the bike. If they won't, find someone who will.

A decent LBS should do that for a small fee. Get them to put it on letterhead paper.
  • rubins4
    rubins4 Posts: 563
    I insured mine throught Endsleigh (you can find my bike in my signature), I over valued it at £750, and they dont ask for any details other than make and model (I gave make model of frame), the premium was £66p.a.

However, I have heard horror stories regarding Endsleigh, and fortunately I never have had to claim. I friend had his car nicked and he was covered by them, seems a very straight forward case and it still took over a year to sort :roll:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12613038
    Anyway, fk dis, I iz off 4 a ride innit. l8rz peepz