ON ICE

gbs
gbs Posts: 450
I managed to find some today in RP. 2 strips about 3m separated by a meter or so. Despite a significant back wheel twitch, I did not crash because ....

#1 Continental Gatorskins 25mm or
#2 I was going straight and not leaning into a corner or
#3 I was lucky? :?

Are any standard road tyre recommended for current conditions?
vintage newbie, spinning away

Comments

• holmeboy
    holmeboy Posts: 674
    The Ice spread on roads around here varies so much (Black ice,Frozen Snow, Frost, soft snow etc ) that's it's best to keep you're eyes on the road and avoid them if possible.Think thicker tyres would be better than thin tyres. :o
  • birdy247
    birdy247 Posts: 454
    Anyone know if the surrey hills are ok at the moment?
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    What time did you hit RP gbs?

I was there at 8.30 and the only ice i saw was at the bottom of Broomfield while going clockwise. There was a dusting of snow at the top of Broomfield all the way down to Dark Hill but this was actually quite grippy.

Mind you the loose gravel is still a pain. I wish they would do another sweep and get rid of it. :x

I was on 23 mm Krylions and they gripped like a vice. The back roads of Barnes and Hammersmith were like sheet ice and had no issues. Only issue i had was on a bus lane in Kilburn and the back wheel flipped :shock:
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    gbs wrote:
    I managed to find some today in RP. 2 strips about 3m separated by a meter or so. Despite a significant back wheel twitch, I did not crash because ....

#1 Continental Gatorskins 25mm or
    #2 I was going straight and not leaning into a corner or
    #3 I was lucky? :?

#1 Irelevent.
    #2 and #3 Very relevent.
    No. Nothing other than studs grip on ice.
  • lfcquin
    lfcquin Posts: 470
    I was in RP at about 12.30pm and didn't come across any ice, just lots of traffic :evil: It was my first visit, is it always that busy or was it just because it was New Years Day?

The A308 from Staines had plenty of black ice in the gutters, but it was easy enough to avoid if you kept your wits about you.

and what is it with you Southerners, does no-one use mudguards down there. :wink:
  • Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    I run 35mm tyres (tubeless) at 50-50PSI (winter pressure) so I though I was invincible!
    Well I was until today:)
  • Serioooussly nothing will give you grip on ice. We had a hell of a time even getting out of my mates lane the other week... 6 crashes in about 100 meters.. On MTB's!!
    tmacsigcopy.jpg
  • I went out on my own on my fixed this morning as the club run was off due to the weather. I lasted 3 minutes before coming off on ice whist climbing. This time last year seemed just as cold but there didn't seem to be anything like the ice we've had this year - it must have been drier.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791
    in town is ok but UC roads out of town very iffy

had a few spills this winter

taking it Slow
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    This icy weather is doing my head in :x
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791
    NWLondoner wrote:
    This icy weather is doing my head in :x

you have to plan around it limiting as that can be..

profound knowledge of the roads local to you helps a bit
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • dsmiff
    dsmiff Posts: 741
    I was out in the car towards LLandegla / Horeshoe pass and was amazed to see a group of riders out - It was pretty crap in the car (the roads were still part covered by snow and it was -4.5), god know what it would have been like on a road bike.

I thought they were pretty daft to be out tbh, I've fell off on ice before now and there is not much you can do about it - a maybe I'm just a big wuss following my fall???
    http://www.youtube.com/dnsmiff
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • maddmatt
    maddmatt Posts: 166
    Did a sweet MTB ride today with the club. Makes it awesome fun, drifting in the snow. Flat pedals help a little on ice just means you've got a better chance if you bail.
  • galaxyboy
    galaxyboy Posts: 168
    I was out on my galaxy today and ended up on a cycle path that had 2-3" of ice covered be 1/2" of snow and unclipped as i thought a fall was garanteed but ended up cycling 2 miles further on as i was enjoying it so much :D . I can feel it has worked my body a bit harder trying to stay upright and stop the back wheel from passing the front. It has made me think about getting a mountain bike to diversify a bit in bad weather.
  • london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    Cold, cold, cold; although the only ice I saw this morning was on the stretch just outside the Royal Ballet School - and that was only a small amount.

I'm pleasantly surprised by how many were still out though. Great stuff!