Buying a bike in canada..?

Dibz
Dibz Posts: 12
edited January 2010 in MTB general
Hi, im planning a trip to canada (whistler) for august 2010 and im planning on buying a rocky mountain flatline dh bike whilst im out there. What i want to know is will i be fine to bring it back to the uk? Im wondering if i will get charged some sort of tax for bringing it into the uk. Thanks.

Comments

• dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Yes, you will get charged VAT and import duty. Plus it's a bit difficult to sneak through the Nothing to Declare channel with a bike.

By the time you've done that I will probably have cost you as much as it woudl to buy one here, so why bother?
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Tip.

Buy a bike bag over in the UK. pack your clothes in it for your outbound journey. bring back with a bike in it. Consider throwing a shit bike in it and leave it in Canada?

You are right. Travel bags are noticeable but how many people actually get checked for a non commercial invoice on things they take on holiday. No one. And last time I looked quite a few people brought bikes to and from Whistler.

Also - If you can buy the bike (inc the possibility of being charged import tax) at a rate that is better than the UK then it is still worth doing.

Bon Chance.
  • Oh - I have noticed that the auto-moderator blocks rude words. Replace Shoot with a slang word for excrement.
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    as brufafa siad, take a turd with you and just leave it in canada and bring new bike back.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    If you do buy new, don't keep the receipt on you or in your baggage. Post it home first.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    I might be fabricating sh!t here, but i think you won't get charged duties if you've used the bike in canada prior to bringing it home, but i could be wrong.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Another thing to be aware of in Canda is sales tax, a bit like out VAT but not shown on the shelf price and added at the till and varies from region to region.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    When I was in Whistler, few years back now, XC bikes were about a third of UK prices.
    Was very tempted to do what you're planning. Most UK bike shops seems to take the pee with pricing, even taking account VAT, Import, P and P etc.
    I've bought about 3 bikes and 4 frames from the US via email/phone calls.
    Never had any problems. Good luck!
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    Leave it a bit muddy then it wont look so obviously new!
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    If you can't afford the VAT and import duty then don't risk it. I have heard of people being very unlucky and having to pay even though they took out a clunker to dump.

I believe you need to own it for three months before it would count as an existing possession rather than a purchase you'd be liable for.
  • Dibz
    Dibz Posts: 12
    Cheers for the replies people. The bike is £5000 here and would work out at £3500 over there inc there taxes. Defo worthwhile but like has been said it seems il most likely get stung by our import/duty taxes :(
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    If you do buy abroad make sure to ask your retailer for a 'customs' reciept if you catch my drift just incase they want you pay tax on your bike, things like 'ex demonstrator/rental', spring to mind when establishing value :roll: :wink:
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • Just a note:

You are liable for tax if you have used it for months. you have permanently exported the goods to a new destination. Just that simple. If you intend to move country you can claim tax emption as the goods are not in their point of of destination and therefore are not eligable for taxation at an interim Port.

You could ask the retailer to write you a lower value invoice (customs receipt) and take a hit if you are caught. Consider splitting the purchase onto 2 cards and only produce one and have it marked "bike"

You would be very unlucky to be caught - especially if you took one out to dump.

Or - you could consider shoving the frame up your backside like a drugs mule and see if you set off the scanners. :wink:

I say go for it. If you can afford a £3.5K bike and a holiday to Canada you can probably afford the chance of HMC&E. Still a £1K cheaper than the UK . :D
  • I travel to and from Canada every summer with bikes and have never been asked about them.

I would not go to the hassle and expense of lugging a bike out to Whistler only to dump. It’s not worth the hassle or cost. After a bike has been ragged in the bike park for a couple of weeks it isn’t going to look new anymore so it wouldn’t raise suspicion if inspected.

But to be safe don’t travel back with the receipt, as then there is no evidence to show where it was purchased or how much it cost.

Whatever the outcome you are going to have an awesome time in Whistler.
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    Dibz wrote:
    Cheers for the replies people. The bike is £5000 here and would work out at £3500 over there inc there taxes. Defo worthwhile but like has been said it seems il most likely get stung by our import/duty taxes :(

buy the bike in canada for 3500. The sticker price does not include sales tax in Canada (unlike in the UK) so make sure you agree with the bike shop that you are exporting it and they don't charge you sales tax (there are 2 in Canada; PST which varies by Province and GST which is federal). You will need to give them a copy of your PPort and plane ticket so they can declare it and not all shops agree to do this but it is possible.

Then.....

safest way;

Pack the bike up and declare it when you come back in, you will need to pay UK VAT (15% atm?) so 525 GBP and (maybe) some small import duty but I'm less sure on that. You're still quids in and have done it legally.

Risky way;

Pack a bike bag with stuffs and take it out with you. Pay the excess baggage if it's due on the airline you're using; this is evidence that you've taken a bike with you. Ride the bike (sounds like you will do this anyway) and bring it back in the bag. You want it to look worn, don't go daft and fill the bag with mud though, they're not that daft. As suggested post the receipt ahead. Pray you don't get stopped but claim that you bought the bike in the UK if you are. They can ask you to prove this and if you are unable (eg with a UK/EU sales receipt) then you can be heavily fined. This is tax fraud and so ofc I have not done this 3 times no sir no way.

If you're cheeky and have a bike shop who's willing you can do the first method but get a lower value receipt to declare against. Don't go nuts, it needs to be believable, but this can work

In the end, it sounds like you'll save about a grand doing it legally and risk >1000GBP in fines to try and save the last 500 doing it illegally so up to you but the way those numbers work, I'd do it legally I rekon.
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Vat 17.5% now and import duty on that total of 15% so that is 4729 and no warranty. all to save less than 300 quid?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    Tip - don't discuss illegal activities on the internet :)
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    compo wrote:
    Tip - don't discuss illegal activities on the internet :)

yeah cos customs officers do a google search for all the items they check to see if anyone has discussed it......

:D
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    if you want to save money then go towards the end of september,, al the shops are desperate to get rid of their bikes for the ski season so have amazing sales..
    you will save a chunk of money off mrsp and hopefully the pound will have gone better towards the dollar...

i got my spesh demo 7 2 from whistler in sept last year for a bargin i just got a box stipped it down put it in the box pre payed it on the plane and took it home, i had 2 bike with me the one i had took over with me my trusty heckler and my shiney new (had used it in the park for a few days) demo 7..

i just walked out of the baggage hall and through only thing i got told was you wont fit through the doors stand the bikes up on the trolly... i never got charged or anything,.

same the year before when my brother brought his knolly (frame) had zip tied to my heckler in my bike bag walked through no trouble..

i also got 2 pairs of fox 36 talas rc2 out in whistler and a pair of marzocchi 55 ata they came home in bike bag no problems....

i do think it is hit or miss if you get stopped you will have to pay ..
  • Hi, mate, seriously just do it!

I did this exact thing 2 years ago, I took a bike bag with my clothes and bought a brand new norco in kelowna, for $3000 used it there for two weeks and used it in whistler for 2 weeks. My friend traveling with me also did this. we both got back - with the bikes - no bother at all!

I went summer just passed as well, this time we took the bikes with us and returned with no problems and no questions asked. there were four of us this time. Just make sure you pre-pay for the appropriate weight of excess luggage or you'll get hit with an overweight charge per Kg!

I reckon customs tend to check packages when being posted internationally and when the trade is between businesses in both countries, i could be wrong..

Don't worry about it, from experience I think it will be fine

:)

I did this exact thing 2 years ago, I took a bike bag with my clothes and bought a brand new norco in kelowna, for $3000 used it there for two weeks and used it in whistler for 2 weeks. My friend traveling with me also did this. we both got back - with the bikes - no bother at all!

I went summer just passed as well, this time we took the bikes with us and returned with no problems and no questions asked. there were four of us this time. Just make sure you pre-pay for the appropriate weight of excess luggage or you'll get hit with an overweight charge per Kg!

I reckon customs tend to check packages when being posted internationally and when the trade is between businesses in both countries, i could be wrong..

:)