Clogged mech

rogue pieman
rogue pieman Posts: 77
edited January 2010 in MTB beginners
Howdy and a happy new year.

I celebrated the new year by having a run out on the bike. Problem was I was having to stop every 15 mins to clear the packed snow out the rear mech, it was causing the gears to jump.

Is there anything I can do to avoid this from happening?
Gerrin! Love owt like that, me.

Malty goodness

Comments

• dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Wait until the snow melts?
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Strangly enuff everyone else thought I was feckin nuts going out in the snow.
    Waiting till it melts could be the correct, if boring, answer.

It's been doing my head in being stuck in the house.....
    Gerrin! Love owt like that, me.

Malty goodness
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    Singlespeed converter = no mech.
  • I too went out this morning and in some nice fresh snow. I didnt have a problem with the rear snow shifting but usually I do. My reasoning for this was I kept it in 1 gear, thats when it was fairly deep. When I got moving along nicely I popped up and down the cassette and then opted for a gear that was ok and tried to just move 1 up/down from that.

Off topic.
    Got home and had a then i couldnt decide how to clean the snow off as I didnt want to put water all over the place, bike lives in a shed so I opted to bounce the snow off. Still had packed snow in the rear mech, cassette, chainrings/spider and hubs. It still does so as I am on nights i may treat it to a night in the kitchen on newspaper. This is to stop things freezing as it may now turn cold and a water bottle froze solidish in the shed last winter.
    fly like a mouse, run like a cushion be the small bookcase!
  • nwmlarge
    nwmlarge Posts: 778
    mine froze up when out in the deep snow very annoying!
    maybe carry a thermos or similar and give it a squirt from time to time
  • Went out this morning too .... the rear mech was frozen and to a little persuasion to start working again, but once it was sorted had a great ride out in the snow :) All tho it was hard work ....
  • missmarple
    missmarple Posts: 1,980
    P*ss on it. Seriously, urine is a lot warmer than snow when it comes out of your body that is for sure. Or as like others said, convert to Singlespeed for the winter for around £15.
  • stomith
    stomith Posts: 332
    My Giant Trance has an assymetric frame which allowed me to bind electrical tape from each side of the bike between the rear wheel and front mech. Silicon Gel stuff (bathroon sealant) smeared across the tape gave it the rigidity it needed and has bolstered the tape so it won't just fall appart when moisture attacks it.

It doesn't look great, but then it's not really noticeable anyway (and yes the tape is bright red) :) but it does work. Front mech stays clear & "cleaner" (not clean).

Rear mech though is a different matter. The long arms suck in all l kind of crap :( I usually struggle with long grass, in the same way.