First ride of 2010..

pottssteve
pottssteve Posts: 4,069
edited January 2010 in The bottom bracket
Hi All, and HAPPY NEW YEAR! (sorry to those with a headache for the loud typing).

Up at 6 this morning (10pm UK time) for a brisk 2 and a half hour jaunt around HK. Nice weather (cloudy, but about 15 degrees C), and a decent 5km climb at average 9%. Back home for egg on toast and a nice sit down. Much better than nursing a hangover whilst hovering by the toilet. :)

However you're spending it, have a good 2010.

Steve.
Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs

Comments

• essexian
    essexian Posts: 187
    Back from my first of 2010...was going to go out at 8am but as the garage door and then the lock on the front gates were frozen up, I decided best leave it until it warmed up a bit..... come 9am it was still -3.7c (-6.9c with wind chill) but what the heck, I would still warm up once I hit the road.

Wrong! 2.7miles later I stopped as I could no longer feel my hands. I got some feeling back into them and set off again, only for 10 miles later all feeling to go in my feet! So, only 17 miles this morning: didn't fancy the chance of bits dropping off if I stayed out any longer.

Oh and it was a barmy 0.3c (-0.9c with wind chill) when I got back.

Nevermind eh, soon be summer (when I will be moaning about the heat!)

Happy New Year one and all.
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    Just done an hour and a half. Felt like a bag of spanners, cos I haven't touched the bike for two weeks. First week was due to stressful late nights at work, then over Xmas I came down with a stinking cold that knocked the stuffing out of me.

But today after my ride I feel bloody great :D
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • LazyBoycp
    LazyBoycp Posts: 320
    Went and did an hour earlier to test my new 705. Was worried it wasn't going to work (the manual says it doesn't work below 0C!) but it was fine.

Don't know what temp it actually was (BBC was claiming -8C, but that's nonsense) but I felt nice and comfortable (apart from my feet, which were a bit cold) wearing:

Wooly hat
    2 buff-type things
    Thick merino base layer
    Winter top (Trasparente - very nice)
    Gilet
    Thermal bib shorts (with Super Roubaix all the way up to just below the neck)
    Leg warmers
    Bib tights
    Baggies (I know, I know, but I thought I'd need all the insulation I could get!)
    2 pairs of socks
    Overshoes
    Liner gloves
    Winter gloves
    (plus shoes & a helmet, obviously)

Ended up taking it very gently on the country roads - very up and down with loads of sharp corners, which didn't make a good combination with all the frost and ice. And I'm a wuss. :D

Greetings to the cyclist wearing a black Assos jacket near Hale station, in case you're on here.
  • Diogenes
    Diogenes Posts: 1,628
    Snowing like hell here, looks like this weekend is walking boots time!

D :D
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    Went out for my 1st spin of 2010 as well.

Left at 7.30am. Wanted to do 100km but died after 70km so did a total of 80km.
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    Just a simple 90 minutes of sprinting around and general hard riding for me. Roads are completely empty! :D
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    The snow is back. I think it might be my fault. It was fine yesterday, then I started drinking and when I awoke this morning some bright spark has dumped about 3" of snow all over the place.

The trecherous sodding ice from the last snowfall (pre-Christmas) had only just cleared as well. Not happy. :(
  • pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    Back from the now traditional 1st Jan outing. According to met office it was 1.0oc when I set out.

Did 27 miles in a thoroughly shocking 1 hr 38mins wrapped up in overshoes, gloves, buff, long sleeve inner and jacket, skull cap and helmet.

Saw one cyclist - a flat bar who didn't look dressed for a long outing! Very thoughtful woman pulling out of pub car park earned first lung bursting effort of the year - she certainly heard me!

So that's 43km of the 3000km I've convinced myself I will do before end of June.

Have a great 2010 everyone.
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    Just done 46 miles. Had to stay on A and major B roads as all the lanes are icy. :(
  • berliner
    berliner Posts: 340
    Did about 30 on me old commute bike- better thatn nothing. No snow but used a backroad by mistake. Dicey and icey. Sunny and bright. Not bad at all.
  • Did 30 miles today - very cold but glad to be out in the lovely weather. Went out over Xmas and got rained on most of the time - not nice when it is cold as well!
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    1.5 hours. Sprint intervals. And hands felt like blocks of ice again by the end. Just ordered new gloves to try and fix that problem!
  • Did a quick 16 mile loop around Bath, cold and icy in places, I really don't need to crash out in the ice again!
    I ache, therefore I am.