Bad times at Llandegla!

Comments

• Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    Looks like more people heading to Cannock...
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    i went to llandegla on monday. twas a wasted journey. it was ok in the trees but icy everywhere else .i will never let mates pester me into driving 60 miles again just for 10 mins of riding although on a plus note i didnt get too dirty
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    I rode it in the snow in Jan last year, the trails were fine with a bit of care, but I stacked it on the Northshore and tore the ligaments in my ankle. At least the cafe was open for bacon rolls and coffee.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,872
    it does always suffer with the snow & ice.

I work in Chester & live in North Shropshire - both place just up the road from Llandegla & we have had bugger all snow :(
  • Looks like we'll have to all visit as soon as the weather impoves, support the trail centres or we'll lose them :(
    Caz xx
  • capoz77
    capoz77 Posts: 503
    Only in the UK!

I look on plenty of US/Canadian forums and they relish the snow and ice on trails - we need some tips from them :lol:
  • tlw1
    capoz77 wrote:
    Only in the UK!

I look on plenty of US/Canadian forums and they relish the snow and ice on trails - we need some tips from them :lol:

They are set up for it, we are not & to be honest for a few days a year - I don't think the investment is justifiable!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Marin trail in the snow today was great!!! Slow, but great!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • tlw1
    For the first time in ages the wife has suggested going to Llandegla - when its closed!!!!!!!!!!!

I wonder if she was just trying to get out of yet another family dinner!
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    There's something deeply wrong with this report. They sound surprised that it snows in the Welsh hills in Winter! This is not exactly freak weather and you would expect any sensible business plan to allow for this possibility.
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    the ammount of people who go there x what they charge for the car park i'm sure they will recoup their losses in no time!

Paulie: it hasent been this cold round here for years, probably since the centre opened: having the resources on standby to keep everything running smoothly 365 days per year would cost more than shutting down for a week every other year or whatever.

and even then if the roads closed you've wasted your money.

sometimes, you got to knock work on the head, light the stove and kick back!
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    I wasnt suggesting that they put resources aside to deal with the relatively infrequent bad weather rather that they recognised that over the course of time weather will cost them visitors and build this into any business plan. The BBC report at any rate makes the OnePlanet guy sound astonished that heavyish snow might make forest trails unuseable by the majority and the roads in and out impassable or at least very dangerous. This is not exactly freak weather even if it is out-of-step with recent years.
  • tsenior
    fair enough mate

they cant be pleading poverty though; they must rake it in! if they lose £63k over a week or 2 in the winter what must they make in the same period in the summer when its rammed.
  • Ian P
    Ian P Posts: 36
    Paulie W wrote:
    This is not exactly freak weather even if it is out-of-step with recent years.

It's the worst winter weather for nearly 30 years already and there's no end in sight - it sounds pretty much like freak weather particularly given that global warming has lead to an expectation of winters generally being warmer.

They don't really come over as moaning too much on there website - pretty stoic imo all things considered. I imagine they prepared for short periods of disruption but they've now been shut for 2 1/2 weeks and looking at the forecast it could be weeks yet before they can re-open. With small businesses always at risk from cash flow problems that's got to hurt.
  • conad
    conad Posts: 82
    they often say 'closed' for safety, but still let people up there, is it ridable or are they physically stopping people riding?
    Rob Warner: "He's off like a jewish foreskin" !!!!
  • Neily03
    Neily03 Posts: 295
    Closed today due to snow, they're hoping to get it cleared for tomorrow.... :(
  • tsenior
    its quite heavy up there at the moment but looking at the MET radar there is not much more to come and forcast is dry, bright + cold tommorow....sounds as though will be an inch or 2 of fresh snow and a nice day for a ride 1st thing.
  • Neily03
    tsenior wrote:
    its quite heavy up there at the moment but looking at the MET radar there is not much more to come and forcast is dry, bright + cold tommorow....sounds as though will be an inch or 2 of fresh snow and a nice day for a ride 1st thing.

They just had more in the last hour and say there's no way they'll be open tomorrow tomorrow morning..... I'd be happy to go and ride but not if there's no where to park or the roads are bad....
  • tsenior
    yeah its the car park and access road that close when the weathers bad.

the main road through bwlchgwyn should be ok, park at the moors inn and its a mile up a (non traffic) road, pie and a pint after in the warm.

but its only 5 miles for me so less of a risk if i'm wrong :wink:
  • From what I gather when the orange gates are closed, access to the trails is prohibited and as its private land you'd be trespassing. They wouldn't shut it for a giggle, would they?
  • Neily03
    Starscream wrote:
    From what I gather when the orange gates are closed, access to the trails is prohibited and as its private land you'd be trespassing. They wouldn't shut it for a giggle, would they?

Went this morning, gates were shut, there were guys there shoveling snow, they said they were trying to get it open in a few hours time.

Me and 4 other guys parked in the layby at the very bottom of the road and rode up and let ourselves through the gates with no complaints from the half a dozen guys we rode past working on the road.
  • Wow, you must be so proud of yourselves.
  • Neily03
    Starscream wrote:
    Wow, you must be so proud of yourselves.

Not really, I go there all the time. :?
  • That article is from last year, isnt it, its not the 20th december yet and it says it was lasyupdated in 2009.
  • ali$tair
    ali$tair Posts: 373
    Andyslater wrote:
    That article is from last year, isnt it, its not the 20th december yet and it says it was lasyupdated in 2009.

This thread is from last year, Neily03 has just revived it.
    Trek Fuel EX 8 (2010)
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    From the Llandegla site today (Sunday 28th Nov 2010) or One Planet

We managed to open mid morning today, and a great day was had by all. But we will not be open this Monday.
    Despite the less than perfect conditions on the access road and car park, the sun was shining bright and all who came had a great day. Wrapping up warm was the order of the day with temperatures at mid day still only around -5deg!

Tomorrow is another day, and with the centre closed on Mondays we have taken the decision not to open the gates at all. We will not be around to do the all important sanding of the car park in the morning, therefore, there is no way we will be able to be sure that the car park is safe to use. Please do not come up and park on the access road!

We hope to re open again Tuesday, however there is a large amount of snow forecast for Tuesday so this remains in the lap of the gods.

We will of course keep this site updated with any further news, but for now the news is COED LLANDEGLA IS CLOSED TOMORROW (MONDAY 29th Nov).

http://www.oneplanetadventure.com/