RS Reba Lockout.

wilkij1975
wilkij1975 Posts: 532
edited January 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All

I have some Reba's with a Pushlock and was wondering if I could go to a manual lockout on them?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yes, you need a new or modded top cap (to make it a friction dial) and to remove the return spring from inside the damper.
  • Sounds easy to do. Is it and who would I get theparts from?
  • grandad3
    grandad3 Posts: 322
    You need this kit and you also need to remove the spring from the damper.

http://members.shaw.ca/steveriggs3/Popl ... ersion.pdf

http://www.tftunedshox.com/catalogue/im ... 2000f102ae
    'Collapse the Light into Earth'
  • grandad3 wrote:
    You need this kit and you also need to remove the spring from the damper.

http://members.shaw.ca/steveriggs3/Popl ... ersion.pdf

http://www.tftunedshox.com/catalogue/im ... 2000f102ae

Brilliant! Thanks fr that :D
    Looks straight forward enough even for someone who hasn't seen the inside of forks before (like me!).
    Are TFTuned the place to go for this kit and advice in the future?
  • hi why don't you like the pushloc? and how much will you sell your parts for?

thanks
  • The Pushloc is OK but it doesn't give full lock out. When I adjusted the cable to give full lock, it wouldn't push to un-lock. Might just be me being stupid and not setting it up right though. I would probably sell it but i'm not sure how much for or when i'll get round to changing it yet.
  • rowlers
    rowlers Posts: 1,614
    Jumping in but...
    if you have a std poploc can it be replaced with a poploc adjust or pushloc? Is it as simple as swapping the remotes?
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    wilkij1975 wrote:
    The Pushloc is OK but it doesn't give full lock out. When I adjusted the cable to give full lock, it wouldn't push to un-lock. Might just be me being stupid and not setting it up right though. I would probably sell it but i'm not sure how much for or when i'll get round to changing it yet.

It's not designed to give 100% lockout. Might be worth altering the gate setting before switching to something which won't give you 100% lock out either.
  • I modded my '08 Reba from a Pushloc - dead easy to do. I didn't buy any 'off the shelf' parts / kit though. Here's how I did it:
    Remove air from pos/neg chamber. Use 24mm socket to remove motion control cartridge (right hand one). Pull out the swiss cheese. You will see a spring near the bottom of the assembly. You can either cut this, and remove any swarfe / offcuts, or do what I did and open up the MoCon cart (left hand thread!) to unclip the spring (much neater/safer). Reinstall cartridge.

For the dial I just did this: Circlip pliers to remove circlip. Pull all parts off. Get an O Ring (can't remember the size by the way) and put this underneath the blueknob. This is what will give you the necessary friction.

Put all parts back, and Voila! You now have adjustable compression! Been running this now for 18 months, zero issues.

Brad
    2016 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0
    2012 Scott Foil 40
    2009 Spesh Allez Elite
    2005 Rocky Mountain Element 70
  • wordnumb wrote:
    wilkij1975 wrote:
    The Pushloc is OK but it doesn't give full lock out. When I adjusted the cable to give full lock, it wouldn't push to un-lock. Might just be me being stupid and not setting it up right though. I would probably sell it but i'm not sure how much for or when i'll get round to changing it yet.

It's not designed to give 100% lockout. Might be worth altering the gate setting before switching to something which won't give you 100% lock out either.

I know I won't get 100% lockout but at the moment when 'locked' I still have about 40mm of travel. If I then turn and hold the compression as far as it goes I have a much better lock out which is all I want. And as I said, I can't adjust the pushloc to give me that level of lockout.
  • R2 D2
    R2 D2 Posts: 34
    Have you tuned the flood dial. The little silver fella on the top of the dial? This willgive you pretty much total lockout if desired, not 100% but nearly. the flood dials can be stiff as hell to turn independantly of the lockout dial so you may have more adjustment there if needs be.
  • R2 D2
    R2 D2 Posts: 34
    Edit - double post
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I don't think it's the floodgate. It sounds like it's the remote lever itself being unable to fully 'engage' the lockout switch on the fork.

And, R2 d2, you can delete posts.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • The floodgate is as firm as it can go and was a right pain to get moving! Bails is right. Its not the fork thats the problem but the remote. Its hard to explain but when you set it up you have to leave some movement in the compression so that it can be un-locked. But when you do that, the fork doesn't lock out I still have about 30 - 40% of travel left.

How does a Poploc work? Does that have a sepperate button to un-lock?