Basso stays with Liquigas through 2012

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited January 2010 in Pro race
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/basso-e ... _headlines

Wierdest part is the rumour of a Saxo Bank contract.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• Not wierd at all, if you are cynical. Rather stupid, in fact. Shows Riis in his 60% light, again.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • iainf72
    Ivan did them a huge favour keeping quiet I guess.

I wonder what will happen with guys like Nibali and Roman K at the end of the year. Both linked with Sky, but why would they go there now as they'd be in the same position.
  • Kreuziger (23 years old -won Switzerland and Romandie) and Nibali (25 years old) are two of the brightest prospects in cycling right now. Liquigas wanted publicity, they hired Basso as a big name-who-is-back-to-do-it-clean, but in 2010 Nibali and Kreuziger will be there and at the front and Basso may well be the team leader only on paper. Of course I may be wrong but I think we'll never see the old Basso again, especially if he wants to cut a new, Cunego-like clean figure in 2010.

Why would Nibali and Kreuziger move to Sky now?
    1-for the pay cheque, surely.
    2-cos' they're 2 of the brightest prospects in cycling right now and they're certainly not afraid of UK's own big name Brad Wiggins, Sky's official leader. On paper.
  • iainf72
    Kreuziger hasn't demonstrated he's as good as the new Basso in Grand Tours. I still maintain in the 09 Tour Basso would've got a top 5

But like Basso says, if Nibs is in a good position in the Tour, he will help him.
  • PauloBets
    PauloBets Posts: 108
    he should have been banned for life,...unlike others he got caught by the pressure of actual tests on his samples...how anyone can be pleased about him being around.... The riders' he's cheated unknown in number...but he's much worse than Contador or Lance Armstrong
  • iainf72
    PauloBets wrote:
    he should have been banned for life,...unlike others he got caught by the pressure of actual tests on his samples...how anyone can be pleased about him being around.... The riders' he's cheated unknown in number...but he's much worse than Contador or Lance Armstrong

Que?

Basso has never tested positive.
  • PauloBets
    iainf72 wrote:
    PauloBets wrote:

Que?

Basso has never tested positive.

Well...by today's biopassport standards he'd have been caught... and he had many pints of blood waiting for use, and he admits he did, so no difference. He isn't really a 3 week tour tour winner of merit...he wasn't good enough without help as we see in 2009.
  • iainf72
    PauloBets wrote:

Well...by today's biopassport standards he'd have been caught... and he had many pints of blood waiting for use, and he admits he did, so no difference. He isn't really a 3 week tour tour winner of merit...he wasn't good enough without help as we see in 2009.

Not really. Basso's blood results were held up as an example of good ones before the passport. He's still good enough to get 2 top 5 Grand Tour finishes in the first year back since a ban.
  • PauloBets
    iainf72 wrote:
    PauloBets wrote:

Not really. Basso's blood results were held up as an example of good ones before the passport. He's still good enough to get 2 top 5 Grand Tour finishes in the first year back since a ban.

some winners of the big tours, France, italy, spain are not reliable for me. Heras without EPO had to quit, Landis never the same, basso never the same...it shows us something..all proven to be involved in modifying blood and never got back to their old level
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Basso is hardly an also-ran.

Two 4th place in GTs in his first season back, probably clean, I expect him to improve too.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • PauloBets wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    PauloBets wrote:

some winners of the big tours, France, italy, spain are not reliable for me. Heras without EPO had to quit, Landis never the same, basso never the same...it shows us something..all proven to be involved in modifying blood and never got back to their old level

As far as Heras he's been pretty much black-balled and unable to link up with a team. We don't know what he may have been capable of had he returned.