Where do you get helicopter tape?

Father Faff
Father Faff Posts: 1,176
edited January 2010 in MTB general
No helicopter shops round here so can I buy helicopter tape on-line somewhere?
Commencal Meta 5.5.1
Scott CR1

Comments

• ebay is good, or justridingalong.co.uk for guaranteed quality, but dear
  • Just type "Helicopter Tape" in google and see what happens....magic.

My mate used it and thinks its good. When I get my new bike I might also investigate :wink:
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    "Bike Tape" from Bike Tart, prices similar to elsewhere, free next day delivery.
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    i got mine from justridingalong, good stuff but not cheap.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • I had bother finding helicopter tape at my local bike shops but my mate who owns a bike shop turned up at the door today with a sheet of stone chip tape that body shops use, i have put it on the new steed and its excellent stuff
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Alu/Carbon, 2011
    Specialized Stumpjumper, 07
    Genisis Altitude 30, 09
    Giant XTC4, 04
  • I got a pack of this - dunno how it compares pricewise to what everyone else uses but it's pretty good. Invisible unless you're looking at the bike really closely too...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Sport ... 300003844/
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    have you tried typing 'helicopter tape' into google? there's only 71,900 results.....
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    How much do people normally apply? Are we talking just over the decals etc or wrap the entire frame? If it's over the decals I could probably just get away with the cheapest biketart one, I'm going to be running a lizard skin on the rear stay anyway
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    +1 for Bike Tart
    Paul 8v wrote:
    How much do people normally apply? Are we talking just over the decals etc or wrap the entire frame? If it's over the decals I could probably just get away with the cheapest biketart one, I'm going to be running a lizard skin on the rear stay anyway

Cut it to shape and cover the areas where cables or your shoes rub. A proper chainstay protector will be much better for chain slap and will help keep the noise down a bit.

I do know people who put a huge strip down the underside of their downtube to protect it from stone chips.
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    I used Electrical insulation tape.

It's black and on the white frame. TBH i don't care

I ride the bike for me.
  • ive been using Window repair tape on mine, works a treat although couldnt find any this time as the wholesalers were closed, But! at the local 'range' store they had some clear Auto tape in the small accessory packs for £2.50. seems to be ideal!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481