Them and us in local rags

redvee
redvee Posts: 11,922
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
Reading last night's local rag and there were four letters on the 'lets all be friends on the road' topic, ie cars v bikes. One letter that caught my eye was one from a car driver who writes that they were driving along normally when their car was attacked by a cyclist.

The main part of the letter.
Once again, if possible, the cycle debate has another contributor. On Wednesday evening I came over Prince Street Bridge, heading for Southville. Approaching the Louisiana junction, I overtook a cyclist with ample room to spare. I then indicated to take the left turning off the roundabout. As I entered the junction my car was struck by the cyclist, perhaps eight times. He then rode across in front of me calling me all sorts of anatomical possibilities. I was stationary, not believing what he was doing. He then came to my window that I had opened and he called me something which at another time – as I am 60 years of age – could be construed as a compliment.

The writer goes on to ask for the council to stop cyclists using the bridge and for the police to man the bridge to warn cycling offenders.
I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.

Comments

• pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    I wonder what he called him?
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    I wonder what he called him?
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    redvee wrote:
    Reading last night's local rag and there were four letters on the 'lets all be friends on the road' topic, ie cars v bikes. One letter that caught my eye was one from a car driver who writes that they were driving along normally when their car was attacked by a cyclist.

Once again, if possible, the cycle debate has another contributor. On Wednesday evening I came over Prince Street Bridge, heading for Southville. Approaching the Louisiana junction, I overtook a cyclist with ample room to spare. I then indicated to take the left turning off the roundabout. As I entered the junction my car was struck by the cyclist, perhaps eight times. He then rode across in front of me calling me all sorts of anatomical possibilities. I was stationary, not believing what he was doing. He then came to my window that I had opened and he called me something which at another time – as I am 60 years of age – could be construed as a compliment.

The writer goes on to ask for the council to stop cyclists using the bridge and for the police to man the bridge to warn cycling offenders.

Bloody Lycra Louts!!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    The driver/writer obviously doesn't describe the scenario in the greatest detail, but he's approaching a junction (so I'm assuming he's reasonably close to it), where he wants to turn left (in front of the cyclist), but he passes the cyclist anyway...

There have been complaints against cyclists using the road on Kingston Bridge in my local rag. A cyclist, an elderly one as it happens, responded with a brilliant rebuttal.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • redvee
    The stretch of road in question is only 240m from one side of the bridge to the junction and usually has cars parked on both sides of the road with traffic coming both ways so there is a high possibility of the overtake being done close to the junction haven ridden the road in question myself.

http://tinyurl.com/yfy3gfn
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    redvee wrote:
    The stretch of road in question is only 240m from one side of the bridge to the junction and usually has cars parked on both sides of the road with traffic coming both ways so there is a high possibility of the overtake being done close to the junction haven ridden the road in question myself.

http://tinyurl.com/yfy3gfn

BEP again? They're getting a reputation...

From the description the driver left hooked the guy. Not suprised if that was the case that he would lose his temper, though I would refrain from some of the alleged language.
  • redvee
    downfader wrote:

Yes.
    downfader wrote:
    From the description the driver left hooked the guy. Not suprised if that was the case that he would lose his temper, though I would refrain from some of the alleged language.

Looked too late to find the letter online to respond to the author and point out the error in their ways, the cyclists actions were right but the language wasn't given the age of the left hooker. Just a few words as to where the nearest specsavers would suffice :lol:
  • downfader
    redvee wrote:
    downfader wrote:

Yes.
    downfader wrote:

Looked too late to find the letter online to respond to the author and point out the error in their ways, the cyclists actions were right but the language wasn't given the age of the left hooker. Just a few words as to where the nearest specsavers would suffice :lol:

Looked online there myself this morning and couldnt find it. I did notice a lot of veiled threats, even some direct ones,of violence towards cyclists. And one plonker making veiled threats to drivers. Do these idiots think they're annonymous when they go online. :shock: :lol:
  • bradford
    bradford Posts: 195
    redvee wrote:

Fixie B*stards!! :roll: :roll: :roll:
  • downfader
    Just had a similar experience on my local rags webpage. Comments I left have been removed, however comments from ABD supporters with loads of unsustantiated and unproved claims have remained. :? Not as if I was rude or swore - I mearly pointed out something about tidal flows and an org for canoeing and training. :? The ABD guys have been leaving links to websites of all kinds of cr*p.
  • cjcp wrote:
    The driver/writer obviously doesn't describe the scenario in the greatest detail, but he's approaching a junction (so I'm assuming he's reasonably close to it), where he wants to turn left (in front of the cyclist), but he passes the cyclist anyway...

There have been complaints against cyclists using the road on Kingston Bridge in my local rag. A cyclist, an elderly one as it happens, responded with a brilliant rebuttal.

I think the issue or rather perceiveced one is that there are cycle paths.

ie its the why are "they not using them?" as ever there are good reasons why. but unless you ride them you'll not see them.
  • All cyclists in Bristol are aware that the Evening Post (owned by the lovely right-wing ranter's rag the Daily Mail) hate cyclists. They are bias, always publishing pro-car, anti-cycling articles. They always refer to that one man and his web-page, the ABD, who come out with claptrap about life being hard for drivers in Bristol, that the council is anti-car etc etc. Not once have they got behind cycling city :?
    "Anything for a weird life"

Zaphod Beeblebrox