Long Reach Brakes

davidcambridge1
davidcambridge1 Posts: 275
edited December 2009 in Road buying advice
I bought some Shimano Ultegra SL's recently, they were advertised as Long Reach, so I decided to buy them because they looked so good, and I wanted to replace the Shimano BR-R600's that were on my Giant SCR 1.0, as they are plain and boring. I got them today, and when I went to fit the brakes, I realised that they weren't actually long reach!! I am now looking for some new calipers that are an upgrade from the R600's, which are actually long reach, are there any? I have looked, but I can't seem to find any!! Help please?
David

Comments

• hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I have these R-650's on my bike.
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • But they look so plain, and not exciting though! Aren't there any that look good?
  • hopper1
    In a word, no! :wink:
    Depending on how far out your brake pads are from the rims, it has been mentioned on here, the possibility of gently filing the slots a little lower... :wink:
  • The the top of the rim is about halfway down the brakpad, so I don't know whether that will be possible!! Are there any genious brake pads that can be used to make a standard reach brake caliper into a long reach brake caliper??
  • hopper1
    I doubt it, if there was, I'd have some! :wink:
  • Damn it!! :(

I will have to get a new frame then, I actually fell in love with these brake calipers!!
  • hopper1
    If the Ultegra SL's were advertised as long reach, then you were misled, and the shop should take them back with a full refund.
  • Good idea! I got them from ebay, because they were slightly cheaper, they were brand new, so would they give me a refund?
  • Good idea! I got them from ebay, because they were slightly cheaper, they were brand new, so would they give me a refund?

Not as described!

Speak to the seller, and they should sort you out if they are a decent folk - if not start a paypal dispute :twisted:
  • Ok, Thanks!!