Scott Addict R4 for long distance??

domcarr
domcarr Posts: 85
edited December 2009 in Road buying advice
I have seen a cracking deal on a Scott Addict R4 2009 and am sorely tempted to go for it.

My only reservation is whether the high the degree of stiffness the bike offers (its very very fast) will be suitable for some long distance riding.

I know I COULD ride the Addict 400+ miles (4 days) and I know other bikes would be more comfortable, but should I go with my head and not my heart and get something more sensible?!?!!

I have apx. £1500 to spend and the Addict was originally at £2250.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Comments

• darren H
    darren H Posts: 122
    Ive had a go on an addict, tooo stiff for me
    But not that many miles mate

personally id get a 953 custom build
    Its a good price though for sure

good luck
  • 953 what?
  • darren H
    darren H Posts: 122
    A Reynolds 953 stainless steel custom build mate
    a bit more forgiving , not quite as stiff.

You can get them from custom builders
    Mercian , Dave Yates, Rourke etc

Frame and forks about £1500 i think
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Depends on how much of a masochist you are - really stiff bikes give me grief after 2-3 hours. There are plenty of other 'fast' bikes that don't beat you up by the same degree - what feels 'fast' around the block could be purgatory after 4 hours.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • look at scotts cr1 they are a great frame thats fast yet easy on the ass.some places have them at excellent prices at the momento :shock:
  • andy162
    andy162 Posts: 634
    I personally don't have a problem with my Addict R1. I got it in March 09 & have used it for racing, sportives, training & commuting. Longest ride in a day was Doncaster to Filey & back...getting on for 160miles. I didn't have any complaints regarding comfort at all.

It's really down to you as an individual, you could hate it or love it completely. As someone said the CR1 is maybe a safer bet as the geo is a touch more relaxed & they are a bit less stiff.

I love mine to bits & it's coming to Majorca in Feb, that'll be a full week of hard miles & tbh the comfort thing isn't even a factor for me. With a good bike fit & a decent saddle I'm well chuffed.