Ibis Mojo (ok technically 2 Mojos, more pics added!)

toasty
toasty Posts: 2,598
edited June 2010 in Your mountain bikes
Finished building this up today as the bars and forks came. I'll take some better/bigger snaps when I get out on a proper ride. Not nearly as pimpy as the previous Mojo that was posted recently, should be pretty solid though. Specs:

Frame: Ibis Mojo + Float R rear shock (with a fully open valve, no platform)
Forks:140mm Rockshox Revelation Race
Stem: 90mm Truvativ Team (although I do sneakily have my eye on the Ibis stems at Stif ;))
Bars: 680mm Easton EC70 Monkeylite Riser
Grips: Ourys!

Wheels: Hope Hoops (ZTR 355 on Pro IIs)
Tubes: Maxxis Flyweight - 94+95g impressively light!
Front Tyre: 2.1" Blue Groove DTC
Rear Tyre: 2.1" Kenda Nevegal DTC
Cassette: XT

Chainset: XT
Bottom Bracket: XT
Pedals: M520s

Shifters: SLX (it could end up swapping the SLX bits for XT with the Meta)
Front Mech: XT
Rear Mech: SLX
Brakes: Formula Oro K18

Seatpost: 400mm SDG I-Beam
Saddle: SDG Formula Fx (swapped these after the pic, needed a bit more length)

All in it weighs 26.1lbs without pedals (26.9lbs with). I've not been for a proper ride yet but I've got no big worries so far, nothing creaking fortunately, unlike the last carbon tragedy. Curiously the head angle is slacker than the Meta, feels much more "AM" than I expected which is a bonus.

4228107583_79fb35f686.jpg
4228105605_91727d6ac6.jpg
4228113979_2ee6faa55d.jpg
4228876302_9e9363e597.jpg
4228878328_bd4cb9f337.jpg

Comments

• Git.

How bouncy is it? I read that it's quite a soft ride which put me off buying a mojo frame when I was being a bit of a crazy person and looking for a FS!
  • toasty
    Oh, you got here before I even sent you the address. Curiously I found the ride to be pretty solid, but then I'm used to the Meta which is like sitting on a sponge cake, it's definitely a lot more subtle than that.

Shouldn't be too bouncy though, it uses the spangley dw link, like the new Turners and things. I can't comment too much yet really, should get out next week though with any luck. I'm crossing my fingers for a freak January heat wave so I don't have to get it muddy.
  • Mm maybe I should have gone to Stif to try one out. Think it's was when they were moving shop so they didn't reply... They're closer to me now though :)

So how much have you spent then? What's the damage lol.
    I was looking at a build from stif as they're pretty well priced!
  • toasty
    Not much truth be known, I took a chance with a second hand frame which seems to be in very good nick. No scratches on the clearcoat, it's all still nice and shiny, helicopter taped up by the previous owner so no cable rub anywhere. All the bearings in perfect condition, no play and a few sets of spares. It's still within it's warranty actually and he's said I can go through him should anything unexpected happen :)

The Zaskar died and I got a full refund for £650, stuck this straight into getting the new frame. Sold the old Fox F100 RLs for £200ish, bought the Revs for £270. Swapped out the old Truvativ carbon bars, they'd always felt a bit narrow. The carbon Zaskar was pretty nice but not as much fun as the Meta, I was after something that went fast but was still good fun and could be thrown about.

If it gets a day out of the warranty and explodes, so be it. Seemed worth a shot :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    thats ace loking, deffo my fave frames of the moment i think.
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    amazing looking frmae.but IMO it looks even better in bright green
  • Top notch. Like it lots. Every time I see one I want one.
  • Dribbles!
    Lovely bike that, incredibly jelous! :wink:
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • Anonymous
    what size frame is it by the way?
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    Nice looking bike.

My mate has a SL running DT 150mm carbon forks and XTR kit, weighs in at 23.5lbs!!
  • Anonymous
    Looking nice buddy,
    that's defo a radacal frame luv it!!!
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    I love Mojos! Very nice Toasty! :D
  • Father Faff
    Father Faff Posts: 1,176
    That looks cool. Let us know how it rides compared to the Meta. I have a Meta 5.5.1 at about 27lbs and really enjoy it but would be interested to know if the Mojo is as fun to ride!
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • ramemtbers
    ramemtbers Posts: 1,562
    looks amazing, what do you think to Kenda tires though i prefer maxxis.
  • Looks absolutely stunning. Frame is a work of art.
  • toasty
    ramemtbers wrote:
    looks amazing, what do you think to Kenda tires though i prefer maxxis.

I like the build quality of the Kendas, they always seem really nicely made. I do prefer the width of 2.35" High Rollers though, for what I'm after I find 2.1" Nevegals too narrow and 2.35" too wide in Kenda sizing.
    That looks cool. Let us know how it rides compared to the Meta. I have a Meta 5.5.1 at about 27lbs and really enjoy it but would be interested to know if the Mojo is as fun to ride!

Nice :) My Mojo certainly isn't a replacement for my Meta, it just means I can let the Meta weigh whatever it wants to now, I'd imagine it'll be the Meta taken with me on most of the trips to Scotland/Wales in the summer. Mine's full XT, Pro IIs + Stans Flows, with 100g or so knocked off the standard seatpost, along with lighter tubes and tyres. It's still 30lbs at that, I absolutely love the ride on it though and didn't want to lighten anything else. The solution was to get another trail bike!
  • toasty
    Apologies for the late update, it's been out properly now. Fantastic fun, couple of little mechanicals all sorted and it's going smooth now.

Very solid feeling frame, with the 140mm Revs it's curiously more slack than the Meta, as mentioned before. Going to take a bit of getting used to, it's much more efficient with it's travel though, so I need to get stood on the front end a bit more and stop wallowing deep in travel like before :) Felt nicely balanced over jumps and things. Bit skiddy front on loose downhills, the slack front seemed to leave it a bit light, same with it floating off on the uphills, sure I'll get used to it though. It was riding completely new stuff to before, so perhaps a slightly harsh test.

All in all though it's been fantastic, looking forward to really mashing it this summer. It feels absolutely indestructable, yet silly light.

4532453372_d694d05069.jpg

4531823857_b436630044.jpg

4532459452_de1697651a.jpg
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Holy cow, is that your tread pattern? You must be a big fella to get that footprint :o
  • Love it mate love it. These frames are sex!
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    hi mate lovely loooking bike, thinking of getting one myself in a few months, have you had a problems long term and what is it like to own/ride???
  • DamonC
    DamonC Posts: 263
    Very nice build chap :)
    Suffering from the light bike fat git syndrome.
  • toasty
    The frame was bought second hand actually. It was an early 2007 model and out of it's warranty, the clearcoat was cracking in a few places, a big one appeared on the top tube. It rode fine but looked a bit worrying, so I contacted Ibis and it ended up getting sent back just incase it turned out to be a crack.

Ibis verified the crack was cosmetic but offered a "No fault warranty" on the front triangle. I asked about getting another colour, mentioning I loved the green and would have had that were I the original buyer, but dismissed it due to having to pay for both ends. I bought a new front triangle for £280, it had gone all the way around the world after all.

It returned today...

4689146948_c44dd58b60.jpg

4689149540_a178ab849f.jpg

4688518547_94090a1f3a.jpg

Not only had they replaced the front end for a brand new one, they'd replaced the rear end too, given me the green one I'd toyed with. Replaced ALL the bearings, new linkages, new seatpost clamp, new chainstay protector. The only thing I sent out that came back was the rear shock 8)

Had the original cosmetic crack been an actual crack the replacement would have been for free. The company's warranty is flawless, really. They'll go out of their way and make a fairly hefty loss, even to keep second owners happy on >3 year old frames. Absolute stars.

Err, yeah, the bike is awesome by the way! ;) We've got tons of riding planned for this weekend!
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Awesome :) that looks even better than it did before. Don't see many green ones but it's definitly my favourite colour. I have a feeling I'm gonna love mine when I get it :D nice to see someone offer a fantastic warrenty and customer support too. Makes me want one even more :lol:
  • D-Cyph3r
    D-Cyph3r Posts: 847
    Gorgeous. I'll be very tempted by a Mojo in a few (couple) of years. :D
  • kangaroo
    kangaroo Posts: 1,199
    great one toasty, and it looks great in that colour
    what are brakes for again
  • Father Faff
    Nice colour! I note you have Ardents on it now - does that improve the front end grip? How does it compare to the Meta? I have to say I have my Meta pretty light now at under 28lbs I think and it handles beautifully especially with the new front forks and semi-bolt through axles:

2007 frame (that was quite a slack version with the old-style swingarm)
    New Fox Float 32 FIT QR15 RLC 140mm
    Maxle Light rear axle
    Mavic 717 on Hope 2 hubs
    Lightweight finishing kit (Thompson seat post, Race Face & SRAM kit)
    Formula Oro brakes
    Mountain King 2.2 Protection tyres (not the best grip but light and fast rolling)

The only thing wrong with it really is the rider!
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • the green is nice but! being a carbon tart i'd have to keep it in raw finjish!!!!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
  • Father Faff
    Hey, Allthegearnoidea, where did you get those nice red pulley wheels on your rear mech (in your pic)? Just what I need on my SRAM X0 rear mech on the Meta and my SLX rear mech on my Soul if they fit?!
    Commencal Meta 5.5.1
    Scott CR1
  • father faff, they are KCNC ones that i got form cleecycles.co.uk they have gone up in price since i got them but they are Spot on!
    was a chap in china doing them for £8 each but i think he oly has gold left now! (search for KCNC)
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
  • toasty
    Nice colour! I note you have Ardents on it now - does that improve the front end grip? How does it compare to the Meta?

Interestingly I still feel more confident downhill on the Meta. I'm going to try and switch the forks and shock across. The medium compression tune on the Mojo feels a bit strangled at the mo, Ibis do recommend light or no ProPedal though. Size wise though it's a very similar bike. The Mojo obviously feels a lot better stood up, powering up climbs and things, this is probably a combination of the weight and overly damped shock though. It accelerates up like a monster too for similar reasons.

The Meta frame is about 2 pounds heavier on the scales, 8lbs compared to 6.2lbs for the Mojo. If I can get them to feel vaguely similar the Meta will be on ebay quicksharp! :)

The Ardents were a first go at getting them a bit more similar, they're a bit bigger than the Kendas that were on previously and ride really nicely, very swift on hardpack! Oddly they seem slightly unstable on slow techy stuff on the 19mm Stan's 355 rim, at speed they're fantastic though. I might pinch the Meta's Stan's Flows and give that a go. Definitely like the new tyres though, decent size for 670g and quicker tread, I don't ride anything too vicious so massively knobbly tyres are a bit wasted.