2010 Revelations..

toasty
toasty Posts: 2,598
edited December 2009 in MTB general
..are actually as light as they claim, wow. New 2010 Revelation Race came today, 1635g out of the box, 40mm of steerer cut off (another 22g). It's actually lighter than my 2007 Rockshox Reba and about 200g lighter than my 2008 Fox Float RL with the same travel.

The XL Ibis Mojo is currently weighing in at 26.1lbs with meaty 2.1" Nevegal/Blue Groove tyres :) I'll post some pics when it stops being night time.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Amazing what RS have done with this fork! Seriously thinking about one now and setting travel at 120mm (and have scope for future longer travel projects).
  • I'm shocked (pardon the pun!) at how much new forks can cost. The Revalations do look good, but how much! RRP of £400 to £700, that's a lot of cash.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    £275 at OnOne for the Rev Race.
  • Same at CRC. Serious discount for a new fork.
  • £269 at Merlin!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • toasty
    I'm shocked (pardon the pun!) at how much new forks can cost. The Revalations do look good, but how much! RRP of £400 to £700, that's a lot of cash.

Yeah, as above. I got mine for £270 from CRC, seems crazy cheap to me to be honest. Everything else has gone up quite considerably but these have stayed about the same at the bottom end.

There aren't many 140-150mm forks about on the market with that sort of weight, even the £850 full carbon DT Swiss EXC only knock 40g off and that's assuming the claimed weight is accurate.
  • Superb :)
    can't wait to get them put on the P7!

Have you ridden them yet Toasty? What they like?
  • Has anyone bought a 2010 Rev Race from on-one or Merlin? if so, do they come with the all-travel spacers? much like Supersonic, I'd probably reduce to 120mm
  • toasty
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    Superb :)
    can't wait to get them put on the P7!

Have you ridden them yet Toasty? What they like?

Rather embarrassingly, no. I've just weighed them, put them on my bike, rode around the block smiling, then come onto the internet about how they must be brilliant.

The ones from CRC were actually a bit OEM looking, no proper Rockshox box, but they did have a manual and all-travel spacers.
  • Got mine from all terrain cycles in a rockshox box, spacers and with a rs shock pump in the box!
    I'm kinda sick of all the oem stuff from crc and merlin which is why I'm buying from different places this time!

Go get them ridden properly and give us a real report!
  • dsmiff
    dsmiff Posts: 741
    Got mine from one-on comes with the pop lock for the bars as well - mine weighed 1635g, the old fork was 2190g.

No spacers in the box.

Just about to cut the steerer now......
    http://www.youtube.com/dnsmiff
  • toasty
    edited December 2009
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    Go get them ridden properly and give us a real report!

I can't, it's night time outside! Should get out this coming week I'd imagine, tomorrow is both New Years Eve and my birthday so I doubt I'll get out then. I still have to wash my Meta and the missus Stumpy after they've been rusted to bits by motorway spray and gritters.

From the brief bomb around the local roads, they felt a bit too sproingy. I'm sure, as with any RS forks, they benefit from lots of fiddling about though. This could also just be that I'm used to overdamped Fox forks which only ever get 2/3 of their travel.
  • toasty
    dsmiff wrote:
    No spacers in the box.

Did you get a manual? Mine was in a the little bag with that, just 2 little plastic rings.
  • Is that the dual air you have then?
    I've never had air forks and expect to be doing a bit of tweeking.

Not sure if I wanna reduce the travel either, I read that the height of the 2010 150mm revs is only 30mm taller than the 140mm 2009's... I guess I should but I don't wanna open it up lol! Never played with air forks and they're new :(
  • toasty
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    Is that the dual air you have then?
    I've never had air forks and expect to be doing a bit of tweeking.

Yeah, all Revs are dual air now. They're not too bad for sorting, I just go for a few rides with the pump. Set the pressures as recommended, the same in both chambers, then go for a ride and tweak as required.

Slightly more in the negative will make them a lot more plush and keen on small bumps, more in the positive will do the opposite. It's a bit of a balancing act, the motion control effectively gives you a bit of platform damping, it's easy to tweak or turn off altogether though.

I had some old 2006ish Revs actually, the ones with the matt black legs. Did used to like the control you had over the travel with them, I've been using Fox recently which just pump up and go :?

This is what they look like fitted if you're curious :)http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=15838553 - it's a bit gloomy outside so they're not fantastic photos.
  • dsmiff
    dsmiff Posts: 741
    Toasty wrote:
    dsmiff wrote:
    No spacers in the box.

Did you get a manual? Mine was in a the little bag with that, just 2 little plastic rings.

Dohhhh!!! Yes two spacers in the pack - with a small bit cut out of each - I also asume you can remove spacers to increase travel to 150mm?

Just discovered I need new adaptors for the brakes the old ones were IS mount and the new ones post as I think I need an Adaptor for the 180mm disks (another £12.99 for a bit of metal :( )
    http://www.youtube.com/dnsmiff
  • toasty
    I'm not too sure about removing more spacers. I was under the impression the 140mm model had slightly shorter legs, giving you 110-140mm, instead of 120-150mm. I might be barking entirely up the wrong tree here though.

I'm not even 100% sure mine are 140mm come to think of it.
  • I quote from Bikeradar test

"The 10mm increase in travel for 2010 to 150mm keeps the Rev on par with the travel offered by its key rival the Fox 23 Talas, although at 3.9lb for the £829 QR15 model that's a spendy and heavier option. The Rev’s extra travel only adds 4mm to the total fork length and keeps it from upsetting bikes with 120-150mm rear ends."

For the hassle of opening them up to mess with the spacers I would leave it. 4mm is nothing in extra height and you can always run a fraction more sag. If you are worried about the height then can you drop your stem down at all - swop spacers etc. I've just got the same forks as you did and the difference really is minimal on my Marin Rocksprings. (aka Wolfridge)
    Scott Genius 08, Marin Rock Springs 08, Marin Pine Mountain 89